Olive Oil Questions

Watch out for the oils that say Italy, Tunisia, etc. There's a lot of canola oil blended in some of those. I steer the wife to get the California Olive Ranch. There's even some Texas brands. My theory is that a local American farm brand would have too much olive oil to need to blend. Spain seems to have most olive trees, and ones just from there should be good.

Many authorities say that most olive oil on USA shelves is diluted and blends at best. ( negative)
Anybody know for sure which brand is the real deal?
How about our California makers?
Thanks all.
THE MOST important thing in olive oil (if not used for cooking) is: Cold Pressed, this means the olives have been pressed before the machine reached the temperature of 80farenheit. This produces a better quality oil, of course the olive quality has a bearing too. One may even go further and select only oil made from milling stones and pressed with grass made pads in a manually operated press, but here we enter the artisanal phase.

Really high quality olive oil traditionally comes from a single source. Queen Creek olive mill was a cool place to try olive oil when i visited. They talked about the differences etc. Lucini and California olive ranch get repeated top honors for purity. I think the cheap star brand got caught cutting it with other oils a few years ago. Olive oil purity

How to find good olive oil

Reactions: GON
Don’t know I just buy whatever my parents tell me to get usually we get Goya or the store brand but it’s rare we ever need it so don’t have any of it currently or anything.

California Olive Ranch Everyday is what I get for making salad dressing, for cooking it's BetterBody Foods Avocado oil from Wally, just like the taste better for frying eggs than olive oil or butter.

I'm lucky because a colleague of mine imports EVOO directly from her godparents who are a small producer in southern Italy. She imports it only twice a year, when it's gone it's gone. Thanks to this board I now also buy avocado oil.

My wife gets this olive oil from a local pork store. Supposedly it comes from Italy. The guy gives you a bottle that the glass is about 7/16" thick and you bring it back and get charged for refills.
I gotta say, it is the best olive oil I've ever had.

My wife gets this olive oil from a local pork store. Supposedly it comes from Italy. The guy gives you a bottle that the glass is about 7/16" thick and you bring it back and get charged for refills.
I gotta say, it is the best olive oil I've ever had.
Yup when its the real deal you know it. Most is pure fraud.

Back