Olive Oil in Plastic Bottles or Glass

I've been using extra light olive oil (XLOO) for making home made mayo lately.
Right now I have a bottle of Filipo Berio in a plastic bottle.
Is it really bad to consume olive oil in plastic bottles? I know glass is best, but XLOO is mostly available in plastic bottles.
Sam's Club has a good deal on a 2 liter bottle of Bertolli XLOO for about $13.

I've been hearing for decades that plastic containers leech chemicals into food. I've been slowly phasing plastic bowls, etc. out of my kitchen and leftovers get stored in glass, but admittedly all of my cooking oils are in plastic bottles. Whether or not these chemicals are harming you is up for debate.

Olive oil can undergo chlorophyll oxidation from light. Glass containers, especially ones tinted green, help prevent that and sustain the oil's quality for longer. A non-reactive metal container, such as stainless steel, is the best option. We get olive oil and garlic infused olive oil from Trader Joe's and transfer it to our stainless container when we get home.

Plastic offers the least protection and can leach polyvinyl chloride (PVC) into the oil.

I don’t think it matters all that much. You are using the light olive oil for mayonnaise and probably use a good bit. If you can find it in metal cans, that would be a good option. Keep and fill some smaller glass bottles for your cabinets.

Olive oil can undergo chlorophyll oxidation from light. Glass containers, especially ones tinted green, help prevent that and sustain the oil's quality for longer. A non-reactive metal container, such as stainless steal, is the best option. We get olive oil and garlic infused olive oil from Trader Joe's and transfer it to our stainless container when we get home.
I order Italian EVOO directly from the producer in in 3L tins, and then transfer to an opaque ceramic drizzler. In our house it's EVOO or butter. When frying, which is not often, it's Mexican EVAO.

Is it really bad to consume olive oil in plastic bottles?
Or any food? Got me to thinking about how many food products are packaged in plastic. Most all Dairy products, veggies, frozen foods, bottled water, bread, sodas, spices, baked goods, eggs, meats, condiments………

Or any food? Got me to thinking about how many food products are packaged in plastic. Most all Dairy products, veggies, frozen foods, bottled water, bread, sodas, spices, baked goods, eggs, meats, condiments………

None of those readily react with PVC from the plastic, nor do any of them undergo chlorophyll oxidation from UV light.

From the Journal of Food Science and Technology.

"After 75 days of storage, a significant degradation of phenolic compounds was detected when oil was stored in the PE container from 363 to 285 mg kg−1 and from 363 to 305 mg kg−1 in the clear glass bottle. However, in the other materials, it decreased slightly from 363 to 342 mg kg−1 in the tin container and from 363 to 337 mg kg−1 in the dark glass bottle during the same period of storage."

I prefer olive oil in metal cans.

For refined olive oil like your XLOO, it probably doesn't matter as much as it would with extra virgin olive oil.

those don't photodegrade like EVOO does :sneaky:

I've been using extra light olive oil (XLOO) for making home made mayo lately.
Right now I have a bottle of Filipo Berio in a plastic bottle.
Is it really bad to consume olive oil in plastic bottles? I know glass is best, but XLOO is mostly available in plastic bottles.
Sam's Club has a good deal on a 2 liter bottle of Bertolli XLOO for about $13.
Consumer Reports did a blind taste test many years back of many different brands of plastic-bottled water including “premium” brands (I forget the exact brands).

Their findings: the only perceptible differences in taste matched up to whoever manufactured the plastic bottles; it had nothing to do with the brand of water. Different brands that used the same plastic manufacturer were unable to be distinguished. Glass is the only food packaging rated Generally Regarded As Safe; any plastic container you buy WILL alter the taste of the product from its counterpart in glass, and will also not keep it as fresh as the glass container will. It’s the dirty secret of the plastic industry.

Plus glass is infinitely recyclable.

None of those readily react with PVC from the plastic, nor do any of them undergo chlorophyll oxidation from UV light.

From the Journal of Food Science and Technology.

"After 75 days of storage, a significant degradation of phenolic compounds was detected when oil was stored in the PE container from 363 to 285 mg kg−1 and from 363 to 305 mg kg−1 in the clear glass bottle. However, in the other materials, it decreased slightly from 363 to 342 mg kg−1 in the tin container and from 363 to 337 mg kg−1 in the dark glass bottle during the same period of storage."
Yes, dark glass (ambers & champagne greens especially) block much more UV than flint (clear), greens, or light blues.

It’s why you’re much more likely to get a skunky Bud Light Lime or Rolling Rock bottle (both are flint) than you are from a Michelob Ultra or Founders/Lagunitas (all are amber). Amber significantly retards UV degradation.

There had actually been a university project working with industry attempting to develop a spray-on UV-resistant coating onto flint glass to reduce the impact of UV spoilage, but I cannot remember all the various reasons that it failed.

Olive oil can undergo chlorophyll oxidation from light. Glass containers, especially ones tinted green, help prevent that and sustain the oil's quality for longer. A non-reactive metal container, such as stainless steel, is the best option. We get olive oil and garlic infused olive oil from Trader Joe's and transfer it to our stainless container when we get home.

Plastic offers the least protection and can leach polyvinyl chloride (PVC) into the oil.
I don’t know about the stainless steel containers because we don’t make any, but all aluminum cans (soda, energy drinks, etc) all receive a plastic liner adhered inside the can to separate the product from the aluminum. You can find YouTube videos where someone takes an acid and dips a pop can halfway in it until the aluminum is dissolved and the plastic sleeve remains on the lower half of the can.

Last edited:
olive oil is being faked just as motor oil.
i avoid it, since im not italian, or greek. so i dont know to find out if its real or not.

Back