Olive Oil in Plastic Bottles or Glass

I currently use California Olive Ranch extra virgin which comes in a green glass bottle. Says 100% California on the label. $13 at Walmart.
Has a metal cap, which I managed to strip.

I currently use California Olive Ranch extra virgin which comes in a green glass bottle. Says 100% California on the label. $13 at Walmart.
Can you look at the heel or bottom of the bottle and see if there is an O-I, what looks like an “A” over a check mark, an upside down Omega symbol, or something else? I’m curious who made that bottle. 👍🏻

Can you look at the heel or bottom of the bottle and see if there is an O-I, what looks like an “A” over a check mark, an upside down Omega symbol, or something else? I’m curious who made that bottle. 👍🏻

All I see is a T and a 25 which doesn't show well on the pic.
IMG_3675.JPG

I live with my fiancé part of the time in Italy. She tells me the plastic can affect the taste more than anything. Also, not all plastics retain their food-safe condition.

Last edited:
I buy STAR roasted garlic extra virgin olive oil from Costco in the green glass bottle, back of the bottle says oil is from ES/Spain, GR/Greece and TN/Tunisia.

those don't photodegrade like EVOO does :sneaky:
Exactly my point. Those products I mentioned above are safe in clear plastic packaging. EVOO, hydrogen peroxide, many prescription drugs, many pesticides, beer, Worcestershire sauce, etc come in amber or green colored glass or plastic bottles to lessen photodegradation. Oddly enough Corona beer comes in clear bottles to show off it’s ‘sunny‘ color, the very reason Corona is more susceptible to becoming ‘skunky’ than beer in amber or green bottles. :rolleyes:

^^^ Same ^^^ … my skillets have never complained 😷

I've been using extra light olive oil (XLOO) for making home made mayo lately.
Right now I have a bottle of Filipo Berio in a plastic bottle.
Is it really bad to consume olive oil in plastic bottles? I know glass is best, but XLOO is mostly available in plastic bottles.
Sam's Club has a good deal on a 2 liter bottle of Bertolli XLOO for about $13.
I'd skip the extra light stuff.

Light olive oil has no real difference other than it being processed and thus it has a lighter color. While this can last longer and be heated at a higher temperature, there are more chemicals and fewer nutrients. Ultimately, you want to go for heart-healthy extra virgin olive oil when you can

I'd skip the extra light stuff.

Light olive oil has no real difference other than it being processed and thus it has a lighter color. While this can last longer and be heated at a higher temperature, there are more chemicals and fewer nutrients. Ultimately, you want to go for heart-healthy extra virgin olive oil when you can

But we prefer XLOO due to being on a low Vitamin A diet.
EVOO isn't a good choice for people on the low vA diet due to the polyphenols.
They claim XLOO is the better choice on the low vA diet and is more hearth healthy than other diets,
and for me and others, I'd say it's probably true.

Last edited:
real olive like real grass fed butter is healthy + i doubt that light olive oils are very beneficial like skim milk the WORSE milk next to other fake non dairy milks. its said men should only drink from glass or stainless + on that note clear glass allows light to deteriorate many delicate items, + that coating in metal containers is a chemical endrocrine disruptor, NOT healthy! other seed oils like soy, canola, sunflower + safflower should NOT be consumed at all. do a search to see how partially hydrogenated oils are process so they dont go rancid in clear plastic containers for a loooong time. we can't avoid everything bad but less is surely better + dont forget styrafoam like plastic another petroleum product. cold stuff is said to be not so bad in junk plastic BUT it prolly was HOT when put into the container + leftovers should be cool to touch if stored in junk unhealthy plastics according to reading. you can read a long time about fake olive oils + $$$$$ is always the motive as usual

Back