Olive Oil Questions

+1 to the Kirkland.

Secondary note, about a year ago I tried avacado oil. We love it. I don't use teflon so it's high quality stainless steel for most of our cooking. Even great for omelets. We cook a lot and different oils have their applications like peanut, vegetable, and sesame, but extra virgin olive and avacado are the most used by far.
This and also grapeseed oil

Many authorities say that most olive oil on USA shelves is diluted and blends at best. ( negative)
Anybody know for sure which brand is the real deal?
How about our California makers?
Thanks all.
I believe you pay for what you get.. there's California olive oil which is pretty expensive stuff then there's the run of the mill olive oils which are usually from Turkey Spain or Morocco. Then there's blends that are 80% sunflower or canola oil and 20% olive oil. I like to use the blends for salads and lite dressings.

+1 to the Kirkland.

Secondary note, about a year ago I tried avacado oil. We love it. I don't use teflon so it's high quality stainless steel for most of our cooking. Even great for omelets. We cook a lot and different oils have their applications like peanut, vegetable, and sesame, but extra virgin olive and avacado are the most used by far.
Yes the avocado oil is great for sauteing for it's high smoke point.. I dont eat much fried foods but usually frying in my house is vegetable or canola oil.

I’m not too picky when it comes to olive oil. California olive oils are expensive. I will buy them when they’re on sale. I tend to go with a good Spanish extra virgin.

vegetable oils do NOT exist BUT SEED oils they are + quite TOXIC!! any processed oil in a store in a clear container is like eating PLASTIC, same goes for margarine. healthy eating is prolly more controversial than motor oils!! one look at people says without a doubt we are going in the WRONG direction with obesity + diabetes rampant + getting WORSE!! the big $$$ medical groups got it WRONG + are killing many with their money driven false information + the biggest lie says many diseases cant be cured, because stringing you along keeps the $$$$ coming in!! check out the many healthful vids on Dr Ekburgs site for one + type II diabetes can be CURED not just controlled as you slowly DIE. much of todays false info comes from the $$$$$ pumped into places like ADA + other highly funded associations. only YOU can do whats needed for health + real olive oil as well as real BUTTER + natural stable saturated fats are GOOD for you contrary to whats pushed as good but is actually NOT. SUGAR + foods that are quickly converted aka CARBOHYDRATES are KILLING people today!!

vegetable oils do NOT exist BUT SEED oils they are + quite TOXIC!! any processed oil in a store in a clear container is like eating PLASTIC, same goes for margarine. healthy eating is prolly more controversial than motor oils!! one look at people says without a doubt we are going in the WRONG direction with obesity + diabetes rampant + getting WORSE!! the big $$$ medical groups got it WRONG + are killing many with their money driven false information + the biggest lie says many diseases cant be cured, because stringing you along keeps the $$$$ coming in!! check out the many healthful vids on Dr Ekburgs site for one + type II diabetes can be CURED not just controlled as you slowly DIE. much of todays false info comes from the $$$$$ pumped into places like ADA + other highly funded associations. only YOU can do whats needed for health + real olive oil as well as real BUTTER + natural stable saturated fats are GOOD for you contrary to whats pushed as good but is actually NOT. SUGAR + foods that are quickly converted aka CARBOHYDRATES are KILLING people today!!
My Suricata blocked that!

For bread dipping and finished dousing I like a Spanish olive oil using Arbequina olives, very buttery taste. I buy mine at a regional grocery Wegmans.

Sesame oil adds amazing flavor for frying veggies and meats to add to rice for Korean and other Asian dishes. I don’t think that was mentioned yet in this discussion about Olive Oil.:)

Very tricky matter, generaly speaking the "first cold press" is going to be the more expensive. I am sure most of oils labeled virgin are blends. Even over here many oils labeld as Italian come actually from Spain, they are just bottled and labeled in Italy.
Another thing, first class olive oil is goung to come in cans or opaque bottles. Light kills it.

Reactions: GON
Kind of like approvals and licenses for motor oil? 🤣
No standard but pure olive oil is called "Extra Virgin". Read the label, no blending if that's on the label.Just like you see vanilla on a container of ice cream, you won't find neopolitan inside..

A couple months ago, I tried olive oil that was fresh from a local farm and it tasted quite different from what you buy on the shelves, even the top brands. It's all I get now. We've been using less oils lately in general.

DCOOP is a large importer of all things olive and bought up a large amount of olive processing in the US. They wrecked the California olive industry a couple years ago by cancelling contracts with growers and going to imported olives. I will not knowingly buy anything DCOOP which includes Lindsay olives which I had eaten my entire life. They are also guilty of selling “olive oil” with not much olive content.

I believe you pay for what you get.. there's California olive oil which is pretty expensive stuff then there's the run of the mill olive oils which are usually from Turkey Spain or Morocco. Then there's blends that are 80% sunflower or canola oil and 20% olive oil. I like to use the blends for salads and lite dressings.
Double standards in reverse … I buy California … lasts a good while anyway

Back