What is the better synthetic diesel oil?

Delvac Extreme 15-40. Ran that in my 18’ 6.7. If I could put 15-40 in my 22’ model, that’s what I would run. Truck ran quieter and smoother. Call bs if you like. You weren’t here.
So the '22 6.7 does not allow 15w40 per the manual? I wasn't aware of this until now. What do they call for, the new high fuel economy 10w30 diesel oil spec?

The issue with biodiesel is that it oxidizes easily in the presence of ZDDP. One study that did a 4-ball wear test with diluted oil found a small increase in wear with 1% aged biodiesel in the oil, and a doubling of wear at 5% dilution. Regular diesel actually reduced wear slightly even at 5% dilution.

If the fuel you're using only has ~10% biodiesel, the amount of biodiesel in your oil should always be
The ACEA and MB 229.5x oil standards have engine tests to measure an oil's performance with biodiesel dilution, whereas API CK-4 doesn't seem to have a biodiesel test. MB 229.52 has the most stringent biodiesel tests, but is only available in grades up to 5W.

So the '22 6.7 does not allow 15w40 per the manual? I wasn't aware of this until now. What do they call for, the new high fuel economy 10w30 diesel oil spec?
Yes. In temps above 0 10-30 and below 0 5-40 but 5-40 is acceptable year round so that’s what I run. Would like to have a synthetic 10-40 to be honest.

Back