Older SUVs for parents

My parents are just about to retire so no more of the daily driver duties are needed.

Budget is around $4-8k
MPG is not a big factor.
We live in the rust belt so not many older.
Needs a reverse camera or a double din radio so I can install aftermarket.
V6 or V8 powered preferred.

Looking around FB marketplace and offerup, seems like a 04+ Pathfinder seems to be a popular choice. I'm somewhat used to VQ-type of problems having owned a VQ30 and VQ35. Seems the trans cooler breaking into the radiator is a common issue but easily solved.

4runners are way too much $$, RX350/330 seems like an fair compromise. What is the GM/Ford equal? My father had a Equinox for a little bit forget the year but he hated it. He did mention he likes the Tahoe all years.

Looking around FB marketplace and offerup, seems like a 04+ Pathfinder seems to be a popular choice. I'm somewhat used to VQ-type of problems having owned a VQ30 and VQ35. Seems the trans cooler breaking into the radiator is a common issue but easily solved.

4runners are way too much $$, RX350/330 seems like an fair compromise. What is the GM/Ford equal? My father had a Equinox for a little bit forget the year but he hated it. He did mention he likes the Tahoe all years.
Seems like you already have some decent vehicles in this post.
(y)

What about the ML 320/ 350/ 500? - Not the most reliable in the world, but a good size, cheap, and well equipped.
If it was for me, yes no issues be getting a ML but for my parents... they tend ignore warnings signs the cars tell them. I'm not sure if all parents are like this but its one of those, "oh my CEL has been on for 2 months, come by for lunch and check it"

What about the ML 320/ 350/ 500? - Not the most reliable in the world, but a good size, cheap, and well equipped.

No way due to electrical gremlins and transmission issues, post-70k miles. otherwise, great car. Source: owned one for 2 years. YMMV.

OP, a European car priced $4 to $8k is a road to ruin unless you are a mechanic or have DIY experience.

At your price range, stick to Big 3 or Japanese-Koreans, a model with plenty of parts support. (that isn't another Equinox)

And I can't imagine a RX fitting your budget and criteria unless it is over 200,000 miles. maybe it is just my local market.

They normally buy at 100k and drive to 150-175k or until rust wins and I can't do cheap repairs anymore.
Given the present market conditions, you are going to be very hard pressed to find an SUV with 100k miles in good shape for under $8k. You certainly aren't going to find a decent RX or Tahoe in that price range unless it has a bazillion miles on it. A German (or European) SUV in that price range is likely to be a major can of worms, and your parents (being on a fixed income) are not going to appreciate the cost of maintaining/repairing it. If you can find a good RWD Pathfinder with reasonable miles in their price range, that would certainly be worthy of consideration IMO (I can't recommend the newer FWD CVT Pathfinders). Watch out for the notorious 4.0L timing chain/tensioner problem, this is very common in the mid to late 2000 models. The only other V/6 SUVs in the under $8k price range that I could recommend with higher mileage are... Toyota Highlander, Toyota RAV4, Toyota Venza, and Ford Edge. All of these hold-up fairly well with higher miles on them. I can't recommend a Nissan Murano unless it has a new transmission in it. I also can't recommend the Honda Pilot because they can nickel and dime you to death when they get into the higher miles.

Last edited:
My grandparent's Chevy Trailblazer was easy for them to get in and out of. Other names of it are the GMC Envoy, Isuzu Ascender, and Oldsmobile Bravada.

That's a rough price range for SUV shopping, everything is going to be higher mileage or well worn.

I still think the 95-01 Explorer can be a winner if fuel economy isn't a concern and they are willing to put some money in refreshing it. Basically every one I have found for sale needs ball joints, tires, and a lot of catch up maintenance, and probably a window regulator/motor or two, but once you do that they can be really good daily drivers and the cost/availability of parts is pretty good. Again, if fuel economy is a big concern, disregard.

Really anything bought in that price range will need repairs and catch up maintenance of some kind to be used as a daily driver.

Back