Older SUVs for parents

I would look for a well maintained and rust free 2nd generation Honda CRV with AWD and moderate miles in a southern state market. The timing chain equipped K24 engine is only a 4 cylinder, but robust and fully capable for a vehicle of that size and weight. By no means is this comparable to a RX330 or MDX, but it will be reliable as an anvil. My son finally sold his 2002 CRV EX AWD when it reached 350K miles and it still ran like a top with no motor or transmission work other than tune ups and regular fluid changes.

My grandparent's Chevy Trailblazer was easy for them to get in and out of. Other names of it are the GMC Envoy, Isuzu Ascender, and Oldsmobile Bravada.

yes all down south, rust-free, are lucky. i think that i have seen 1 Bravada in the last 11 years north of the Ohio River, and maybe 1 Trailblazer of that era each year.

Not that the Journey is a good vehicle, but basing reliability off of 8,730 used vehicles sent to auction out of the 520,026 Journey’s produced from 2009-2015 is ridiculous. And let’s be honest… a good chunk of these were sold to people who desperately needed a vehicle and likely couldn’t afford to properly take care of it or straight up didn’t maintain it at all. Get one that has maintenance records and the 3.6 v6 and it’ll be adequate.

Reactions: GON
Not that the Journey is a good vehicle, but basing reliability off of 8,730 used vehicles sent to auction out of the 520,026 Journey’s produced from 2009-2015 is ridiculous. And let’s be honest… a good chunk of these were sold to people who desperately needed a vehicle and likely couldn’t afford to properly take care of it or straight up didn’t maintain it at all. Get one that has maintenance records and the 3.6 v6 and it’ll be adequate.
It's a good point, but also why saturn s-series were a miss with their target audience. Sell a car to non-car people who won't ever use a dipstick and hobble it with moderate oil consumption. Since OP is looking at used cars, the typical example of a Journey carries a little extra baggage.

Toyota Highlander. Not too much Toyota tax compared to rav4/4runner, fundamentally good in all areas.

They are actually using the Camry right now but often mentioned they want something a little higher to get in and out of easier.
Seat height from ground seems to be a spec no one publishes, but should! An older Nissan Versa hatch is has a roof line nearly 3" taller than an older Camry though. I noticed a Versa in traffic the other day and its was towering over an old Lasabre beside it. I bet an Echo has significantly easier access than Camry as well. Subaru Crosstrek will for sure as does the Outback, and Forester. An Echo on good skinny snow tires will be an urban snowmobile though.

Back