Older car daily drivers

I used to commute 92 miles round trip in my 1982 245 Volvo diesel. The engine went 250K miles until it didn't have enough compression to start anymore. It still is parked in my back yard. This will be my next 'new' Volvo.

Vintage Volvo.jpg

As a fellow IT person I feel the same way. There are some guys at work who love having the latest tech in their cars, and I frequently find myself saying "Why?" (In my head of course.) I might take it a step further than you because I refuse to take calls in my car while I'm driving.

Yeah I really don't accept calls when I'm driving unless they are from family and usually they know not to call me when I'm driving unless it's urgent.

My 2 Series was the first car I ever owned with navigation and voice recognition. I’m on the road a bit and it’s very convenient to not only use the phone hands-free but also to be able to listen to text messages and reply using voice recognition when I’m addressing issues at work. I drive the Wrangler or Club Sport when I want to go 100% analog(both even have cassette players).

Honestly I sometimes question why I replaced the tape player in my Wrangler with a bluetooth capable head unit. It's not like I can hear people or they can hear me when I have the doors off and top down. I can hear fine with the hard top on but that is rare since it usually is parked in the winter. :LOL:

Updated to announce we no longer have any 10+ year old cars. After running the numbers on the spare car (nearly $800/year in insurance and tags) and oilBabe being done with it after the failed plastic intake manifold, the 1999 Grand Marquis was sold on for $500 more than I bought it from my grandmother 6 years ago.

Guess I have to shovel the entire driveway now as I cannot block a large portion of it with the MGM.

I eventually get to 10+ years old.

Let's see, I used an 81 Rabbit Diesel in 1992 for a few years.

I had a month with an Plymouth Horizon that was totaled by a woman who ran a stop sign.

I replaced that with a $100 1979 Ford Fairmont I drove from 1995 to 1998.

I picked up an 87 Buick Lesabre I drove from 98 to 2002, IIRC.

In 2002 or 2003, I picked up a 1994 Geo Prizm I drove until 2010, IIRC.

I picked up a 2003 Mazda Protege5 in 2012 and drove it until 2017.

My current daily is a 2012 Mazda3 that will soon be 10 years old if it's not totalled.

I also have a backup, a 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis that could be a daily driver if I needed her for that role. It actually has fewer miles on it at 105k compared to the 2012 Mazda3 with almost 119k on the clock. The Mazda is less trouble than the 21 year old Mercury as I just had to have the intake manifold replaced due to a cracked coolant crossover/thermostat housing which is a common failure for the all plastic intake.

We also had a 2002 Camry we kept until 2016 and 277k miles IIRC, owned from new.

The 2010 Altima is still going in 2020 with our son using it with over 180k miles on it.

When I bought my 2004 Corolla 8 years ago it had 145K miles. It now has 415K and I still drive it every day. I've had to have some repairs done over the time I've owned it, but almost all of them were normal wear and tear items. It still drives fine and everything still works, even the A/C. I would have no worries about taking it on a long trip. It still costs me far less to keep it on the road than it would to start a round of car payments, and until something major goes, I'm going to keep driving it...

Daily drive my 1998 BMW 328i Manual. 185,000 miles or so. Had it 10+ years. Many things have broken but never left us stranded. The only tech it has is climate control and of course it’s partly broken. The fresh air/rec. door needs to be “adjusted” in spring and fall with a screwdriver. Something deep in the dash broke or disconnected.

Last edited:
When I bought my 2004 Corolla 8 years ago it had 145K miles. It now has 415K and I still drive it every day. I've had to have some repairs done over the time I've owned it, but almost all of them were normal wear and tear items. It still drives fine and everything still works, even the A/C. I would have no worries about taking it on a long trip. It still costs me far less to keep it on the road than it would to start a round of car payments, and until something major goes, I'm going to keep driving it...
I always hear stories like yours and I always want to do what you’re doing, but I just seem to sell it before it goes that far.

The longest I managed to get was with my Honda Accord; kept it 17 years and 289,000 miles, but it took some effort towards the end. The thing just wouldn’t run right...it’d stall, it needed brake lines (again), it was consuming oil, I began having to replace parts every month...ended up selling it. But for the most part that car was super reliable and I figure it saved me about $50,000 in car payments, insurance, taxes, by keeping it that long. So I’d like to do something like that again (currently own a 2016 Avalon that I really like).

Daily drive my 1998 BMW 328i Manual. 185,000 miles or so. Had it 10+ years. Many things have broken but never left us stranded. The only tech it has is climate control and of course it’s partly broken. The fresh air/rec. door needs to be “adjusted” in spring and fall with a screwdriver. Something deep in the dash broke or disconnected.
That’s cool, it is funny how we keep things going and how we deal with those things on cars as they age (talking about your blend door). I’ve driven with check engine lights for years, a Slightly leaking oil pan gasket for 17 years (actually prevented the oil pan from rusting out). And I once had a blend door issue with a Honda, for some reason on cold days it wouldn’t flip over to heat...you’d have to move the heat knob two or three times and then itd finally become unstuck and move. Had to do that everyday for five winters.

That’s cool, it is funny how we keep things going and how we deal with those things on cars as they age (talking about your blend door). I’ve driven with check engine lights for years, a Slightly leaking oil pan gasket for 17 years (actually prevented the oil pan from rusting out). And I once had a blend door issue with a Honda, for some reason on cold days it wouldn’t flip over to heat...you’d have to move the heat knob two or three times and then itd finally become unstuck and move. Had to do that everyday for five winters.
Funny how we know every issue a car has and just ignore it for years. Especially seasonal issues.

I spent $250 on a 20 year-old, mostly purple slant-six Duster with 77,000 miles. I drove it the 950 miles to college and back for three years and then all over the country. From roughly near Memphis, I took it as far away as Lake Tahoe, Alligator Alley, Minneapolis, Texas Hill Country, Moab, and northern Wyoming.

The odometer broke 5 or 6 years later, at 190,000 plus. I sold it about 6 months later and bought a 1987 Caprice with the police package and 150,000 miles. I drove it the same way for another few years and 50k, when I bought my current daily driver new--a 2001 Silverado.

That Duster still shows up in my dreams sometimes.

Duster 66A.jpg

Last edited:
My daily driver is a 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI fully loaded that I bought new. It has 178k miles now and still looks new. I drive a round trip commute of approx. 75 miles. I've been offered many times to sell it but I decline because the book value of the car is about 5k and what can I get for that price that is nearly as nice? Nothing. So I will drive it atleast a few more years. The only repairs needed was (of course!) timing chains under warranty around 50k miles. I run Mobil 1 HM 5W/30 at 6k mile intervals.

My daily driver is a 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI fully loaded that I bought new. It has 178k miles now and still looks new. I drive a round trip commute of approx. 75 miles. I've been offered many times to sell it but I decline because the book value of the car is about 5k and what can I get for that price that is nearly as nice? Nothing. So I will drive it atleast a few more years. The only repairs needed was (of course!) timing chains under warranty around 50k miles. I run Mobil 1 HM 5W/30 at 6k mile intervals.
I’ve always loved the way those caddy’s look.

Here in New England a lot of us live in southern NH and commute to massachusetts For work (the pay is much better in mass), and we all commute up and down RT. 93.

There is a guy who lives in Londonderry NH (I think anyway because he gets off at exit 4) who absolutely bombs up and down RT. 93 in his CTS wagon. It’s black or dark blue and it has a Transformer sticker on the rear hatch. This thing is legendary for us commuters because this guy drives like a demon. Just floors it the whole way everyday. Everyday. Boom. God help you if he comes up behind you, he’ll get so close to your bumper that the paint will almost touch. He’s brutal. But I’ve always admired the “car”, not so much the driver (this guy is a real D). But I love the way the CTS wagon looks. It just looks like a driver’s car. And this CTS is a used every single day. Pedal to the metal, weaving in and out of lanes, hitting those brakes, flooring it again...sun, rain, snow, wind, winter, fall, summer, spring. Pedal to that floor every single day. If any car can withstand that it’s got to be a good car.

What
What repairs has it needed besides brakes, tires, battery, fluids, etc? 05 Matrix here with 163k on it. Thanks!

Back