Older car daily drivers

Oh I wouldn't DD a 75. It would be a fun summer cruiser/project. But I have enough of those at the moment haha.
I daily drive my 84 Cutlass and did winter daily drive my 83 Caprice. But then I got my 05 Silverado from work, and maintaining 3 high mileage vehicles, 2 of which are 37 years old was a bit much. The winter beater needed all the rubbers replaced in order to keep being used as a winter car. I traded it for the body job on the truck. The new owner is fixing it up nice and swapping an LS engine in.

Reactions: JC1
My wife's civic 1997 is 23 years old. Just did a bunch of work to the rear suspension and replaced rear brake lines. Finally got it back on the road. Here's a pic. Has crank windows and AC blows ice cold. Car only has 133k miles on it (215km).

Attachments

• IMG_20201005_193935.jpg
    IMG_20201005_193935.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 25
My wife's civic 1997 is 23 years old. Just did a bunch of work to the rear suspension and replaced rear brake lines. Finally got it back on the road. Here's a pic. Has crank windows and AC blows ice cold. Car only has 133k miles on it (215km).
Btw my Caprice was built in your town (Oshawa Ontario Canada).

Our newest car is from 05. The thing I don't like about older cars is shabby interiors. They never hold up as well as the mechanics.

I daily drive my 84 Cutlass and did winter daily drive my 83 Caprice. But then I got my 05 Silverado from work, and maintaining 3 high mileage vehicles, 2 of which are 37 years old was a bit much. The winter beater needed all the rubbers replaced in order to keep being used as a winter car. I traded it for the body job on the truck. The new owner is fixing it up nice and swapping an LS engine in.
Yeah DD a car that old in the winter has its drawbacks. I don't know why but my Golf has the best heat of any vehicle I've owned. Certainly warms up the cabin faster than any of my coworker's newer vehicles. It probably helps that it always runs at 205F though.

Yeah DD a car that old in the winter has its drawbacks. I don't know why but my Golf has the best heat of any vehicle I've owned. Certainly warms up the cabin faster than any of my coworker's newer vehicles. It probably helps that it always runs at 205F though.
Aren’t older Mercedes-Benz seat heaters dangerously warm on their high setting? I recall in the 90s our car would take forever to get cold. Not sure if it was bad maintenance or just a limitation of A/C systems at the time. I remember when I got my 04 CR-V being surprised at how seemingly instantly the A/C would blow ice cold at idle and on start up.

Aren’t older Mercedes-Benz seat heaters dangerously warm on their high setting? I recall in the 90s our car would take forever to get cold. Not sure if it was bad maintenance or just a limitation of A/C systems at the time. I remember when I got my 04 CR-V being surprised at how seemingly instantly the A/C would blow ice cold at idle and on start up.
The VW ones are too. My passenger seat smelled like burning and the drivers one actually smoldered and burned a hole in the seat. There was a recall on them though and they got replaced.

I run all my vehicles into the ground. It is nothing more than a tool to get me from point A to point B. I don't have the budget to throw good money down the drain by purchasing new and taking a big hit when I sell it. I make sure I get my moneys worth out of every vehicle.

I removed the AC condenser, compressor and everything from it, since it was originally only supposed to be driven in winter. That seemed to create too much airflow/space around the engine and it ran a little too cool. That and the air leaks from bad weatherstripping made it not the quickest to heat up and defrost. Plus the rear defrost only worked on 2 of the strips.

I will definitely miss it, but not everything about it. I will however miss how the doors never froze completely shut because of the drip rails that newer vehicles don't have. I have to chip and pry my way into the truck after an ice storm.

My 93 Audi S4’s seat heaters had 6 different levels.

Warm

Hot

Toasty

Extra Crispy

Inferno

The Goddamn Sun
My '04 TDi wasn't quite that bad, but 5 was too hot. I'm not sure if mattered but I would put it to 5 when I first got in, under the impression that might ramp up faster to "too hot", then I'd back down to 2 or 3. [I had leather seats in that car, and basically left the heater on at 2 from like Oct to April, never turning it off.]

Years ago I have driven my MB Diesel OM606 engine) with almost 275k from Dallas to Boston and back.
Now 06 MB E-class Diesel with 122k miles, driven to Toronto and back twice and planning another trip after Covid is over have no 2nd thoughts. I see no problems.

My daily driver is an 08 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI fully loaded. Bought new and now has 178k miles and still runs and looks great. My commute is about 89 miles a day. I take care of my vehicles and this car did have the timing chains done at 40k miles under warranty. From then only needed plugs, brakes, a fuel pump, wheel hub bearings, shocks and a high pressure fuel pump aside from regular maint items. Been a really good car and still squeak and rattle free. I use Mobil 1 from new and Mobil 1 HM now changed at 6k mile intervals only because of the timing chains and being a GDI.

I do my 75 mile round trip everyday in a hand me down 2009 Pontiac G5 with 123k miles.

It has a wheel bearing going, and clunking in the front that is probably a broken strut, and a loose steering rack.

I will most likely keep fixing it one thing at a time for a while, as I can’t afford a newer car payment right now. Engine is smooth and tight, doesn’t use any oil.

I’d ‘like’ to get 2 years and about 40k miles out of it, but who knows...it is a ‘one week at a time’ car for now.

My DD Clubman's heated seats have three settings; I usually select the middle setting as the highest setting is almost uncomfortably hot. It's nice on really cold days, however.

Last edited:
Back