Oil weight suggestion for next OC for 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Run either 10W30 Pennzoil hm or Pennzoil 10W40 hm. Mixing all those different grades is silly and just unnecessary.

It doesn't seem to be unnecessary. As I've previously stated the best of yet has been the 1qt replacement of 5w30 to the 10w30. So it seems that at cold start it likes the better flow.

This would in no way be perceptible, to a person or the engine.

Why wouldn't it? I don't mean to question the validity of your post but I am quite skeptical since I'm the one who has been driving this for 4 years and always pays attention to every noise.

As I remember when I had straight 10w30 PHM it would stop ticking when temps got around 115*F per the temp gauge on the dash, every day, all the time when I would start the jeep in the morning after shutting it off.

Now? I don't even make it out of my development before it stops and the ticking is not as loud.

The one qt. of 5w-30 wouldn't do a whole lot to alter the flow properties of the other 5 qts. of 10w-30. Atmospheric conditions would play a larger role in how the engine runs or sounds compared to the slight alteration 1 qt. of 5w-30 would provide. They're just very close and SHOULDN'T make any real world difference, but if you're seeing a difference, run with it.

PHM 5qts of 5w30 and 1qt of 10w40.
banana2.gif

This would be my choice, if I was in your situation.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Run either 10W30 Pennzoil hm or Pennzoil 10W40 hm. Mixing all those different grades is silly and just unnecessary.

It doesn't seem to be unnecessary. As I've previously stated the best of yet has been the 1qt replacement of 5w30 to the 10w30. So it seems that at cold start it likes the better flow.

This would in no way be perceptible, to a person or the engine.

It clearly is perceptible. Whether its real is another question.

This looks like another job for Universal Answer Man

It doesn't matter. Please yourself.

Btw your oil pressure gauge is a dummy gauge. It will move around a little with rpm and what not but it's not accurate.i checked mine with a scan tool. 18 psi hot idle but the gauge shows 45

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Have you tried different filters to prevent dry starts?

A good thought....my 04 ticked with some filters on startup, and did NOT tick with others, running the same oil (Amsoil SS 0w30)

Another consideration - could it be piston slap? These engines like to slap when cold.

Sounds more like a case of lifter bleed down to me

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Btw your oil pressure gauge is a dummy gauge. It will move around a little with rpm and what not but it's not accurate.i checked mine with a scan tool. 18 psi hot idle but the gauge shows 45

I don't think you understand the term 'dummy gauge'. Since I'm in the field of Software Engineering and Embedded Control Systems I recently looked over the J1939 spec for Cummins ISX. They have a dummy gauge. "Have enough oil pressure? OK send the needle to halfway".

2003-2004 model WJs have a dummy gauge. "Have enough oil pressure? Ok send it a little further than halfway"

I have a 3 pin Oil Pressure Sending Unit. It reads live pressure and is shown on the live gauge from the PCI Bus. I can most certainly agree that it is probably off but I can assure you it doesn't "move around a little". Did you not read fully what I posted about oil pressure? 28-32 hot at idle and 40-45psi while driving normally is NOT "it will move around a little with rpm". Actually if I wide open throttle it, it will go to 58 psi range. You're telling me 30 psi at idle, which fluctuates, and goes all the way up to 60psi at WOT is a little bit, or a dummy gauge? I will disagree. If your gauge moves on a little bit with RPM and consistently stays at the 45 range under all conditions on driving, then yes, I believe you have a dummy gauge.

The one qt. of 5w-30 wouldn't do a whole lot to alter the flow properties of the other 5 qts. of 10w-30. Atmospheric conditions would play a larger role in how the engine runs or sounds compared to the slight alteration 1 qt. of 5w-30 would provide. They're just very close and SHOULDN'T make any real world difference, but if you're seeing a difference, run with it.

Well I'm not trying to portray that there is a huge difference. There really isn't one during the summer but during the extremely cold winter is when I really noticed it. Of course it would tick a little longer but I paid attention when I had 10w30 the year before and this past winter with the 5w30 combo.

But I want an even bigger effect and that's I was either thinking about replacing another quart with a 5w30 or going all out on the 5w30 - but I have to be careful of shearing.

My 97 with 190,000 miles seems to run great with M1 10w30 and a motorcraft FL1A filter. I have read alot about using Rotella T6 though, with a very lengthy post on here proclaiming it the best possible oil for the 4.0L.

My oil pressure gauge on startup shows maybe just over 40psi idle, then when hot it might show around 35psi idle (if i can recall without seeing the gauge). But it does move around while driving.

Another consideration - could it be piston slap? These engines like to slap when cold.

Yes...I read on one forum that a new set of lifters took care of the noise on startup.

(notwithstanding my previous post where the filter made a difference also)

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Yes...I read on one forum that a new set of lifters took care of the noise on startup.

Lifters may come in the future. Not quite yet.

I agree a filter can make a difference. The TG16 and MO-090 didn't seem to have much difference. I then tried a TG8A and my jeep did not like it at all. When I switched to the FL1A cold start tick has decreased to a shorter time than the 16 or MO-090. So it seems like my jeep likes the FL1A.

Just this morning I started it up and let it sit for 30 seconds, it had a soft tick and as soon as I started driving it was gone.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Lifters may come in the future. Not quite yet.

I agree a filter can make a difference. The TG16 and MO-090 didn't seem to have much difference. I then tried a TG8A and my jeep did not like it at all. When I switched to the FL1A cold start tick has decreased to a shorter time than the 16 or MO-090. So it seems like my jeep likes the FL1A.

Just this morning I started it up and let it sit for 30 seconds, it had a soft tick and as soon as I started driving it was gone. Where typically in the past when I ran 10w30 and the stock filter it wouldn't go away until the engine temp was around 115*F

Have you tried different filters to prevent dry starts?

Yepp. Stock OEM MOPAR MO-090, Fram TG16, and Fram TG8A. Seemed to be no difference between the three of them

I'd try a Napa Gold (WIX) as a test. Very stout ADBV and always quietest cold starts on my aging fleet
smile.gif

Also, you could try Delo400 15W-40 and see what that does. 15W is good to something like -15*F ...

I switched to Rotella T6 5w40 and my jeep seemed to really like it. Cold start tick was still present but definitely shortened. Made the jeep the quietest I've heard it valvetrain-wise when warm, guessing the 40 weight really does the trick.

Unfortunately I was leaking oil after the first couple of weeks. As soon as I'd get in the driveway there'd be a quarter-sized drop already as soon as the jeep was turned off and oil over the front of the transmission and on exhaust.

I do a lot of short trips when college is in session so I wanted the protection of a synthetic while also achieving longer OCIs. I couldn't stand seeing oil in my driveway so I switched to Mobil1 HM 5qt 10w30 and 1 qt 5w30. So far it seems to have slowed the leaking. Just took it for a long drive on the highway and there is no drips on the driveway and none on the transmission or the exhaust after now been sitting for 3 hours; time will tell. Cold start tick has gotten softer and not as noisy and has actually been the best so far. Doesn't last as long as all the others, and again not as audibly loud, can barely hear it while driving (softly on the gas pedal while engine warms up).

I'm hoping to achieve 6k OCIs with M1 HM and the Napa Gold 1515
smile.gif

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back