Oil Viscosity

Polar head affinity, a surface competition between EP and detergents and lubricant. Like Musical Chairs, it's a scramble when the music stops and the engine starts. Its likely not enough to worry about and engine will have the same service life regardless.
But you are not doing the engine or you wallet any favours.
I believe there was already a thread regarding this. And it is not a problem

While it's true, that 0W-20 are often better quality base oil, it isn't necessarily the case. A 5W-20 of the same quality but thicker base oil will likely result in lower Noack and higher flashpoint thus less chance of deposits to form on piston rings and valves.
That's why I intentionally prefaced it with "Many", rather than stating all ;)

This notion was based on one flawed paper that was posted here at one time. It has been completely debunked in more than one long thread.
I'm not convinced. This is also not the NORIA forum. I don't put much weight into BITOG debunking. But as I stated, it doesn't make much of a difference EXCEPT to you wallet and the environment WE ALL SHARE. Everything in moderation. You cant have a large pepperoni pizza everyday washed down with a bottle of Dewars without bad effects soon to follow.

I fear this rejection of science - replaced with popular idiocy and ignorance - will lead us to ruin. We may already be there.
Again, not speaking to the issue at hand, kschachn, but just and old man shouting in to the wind.

I'm not convinced. This is also not the NORIA forum. I don't put much weight into BITOG debunking. But as I stated, it doesn't make much of a difference EXCEPT to you wallet and the environment WE ALL SHARE. Everything in moderation. You cant have a large pepperoni pizza everyday washed down with a bottle of Dewars without bad effects soon to follow.

I fear this rejection of science - replaced with popular idiocy and ignorance - will lead us to ruin. We may already be there.
Again, not speaking to the issue at hand, kschachn, but just and old man shouting in to the wind.
Yes but in this case the bad science was in that one isolated and flawed paper.

So how about the classic argument that the wider the spread the more viscosity modifiers will be needed?
Some here have made the point that less is better?

If we are talking about the same base oils, then yes, a wider spread will need more VII. When dealing with different base oils, it can still be true or not be true.

Take for example a 5W-20 that's majority group III+ with a little bit of II+ and needs 5-7% of a 24 SSI OCP VII. (just spitballing numbers) You could make a 0W-20 that's majority PAO with a little bit of POE for solvency and because of the excellent low temperature properties of the PAO, could make that 0W-20 with just 3-5% of a 24 SSI OCP VII.

Take another example of two 5W-20 oils. One could be a III+/II+ oil with 5-7% 24 SSI OCP VII. The other could also be a III+/II+ oil but with 3-5% of more efficient 5 SSI star polymer. It can achieve the rating with less VII.

So while a general rule is that a wider spread will have more VII and be more shear prone, that's really only true when comparing oils of the same brand and/or composition.

Now perhaps you should sit down, because this will be something of a shock to you .... but not everyone that disagrees with you "rejects the science". That's a conceit that far too many people engage in at present.

Back