Oil Sold at Walmart

Barcodes or SKUs can be the wild west. There is a national registry but good luck not being plundered/stolen/reused/recycled.

The barcode is actually a "UPC", for Universal Product Code. Those can't be duplicated, each one is unique, and they are assigned globally. A SKU is often an internal number and isn't physically on the products. It will be on the shelf sticker, website, etc.

Reactions: 4WD
The barcode is actually a "UPC", for Universal Product Code. Those can't be duplicated, each one is unique, and they are assigned globally. A SKU is often an internal number and isn't physically on the products. It will be on the shelf sticker, website, etc.
Are the two numbers on either side of the barcode and not directly under the barcode part of the UPC?

I called Valvoline customer support a few years ago about this, and was told that the oil is exactly the same, but Walmart gets its own barcode. This obviously makes people believe the oil in the jug is different, but it's not. I'd think other oil brands do the same with Walmart. The part number on the bottle is what to go by.

I'd like to, but it's already 92 with 106 heat index.
I can verify that. Our 4 ton high efficiency A/C ran all day long (in this south La hot box) with a setting of 74-75. Of course the grand kids kept going in and out the doors all day. It really did feel like an extreme heat (no wind) like we have not had in a while. My Rheem unit normally freezes us out and cycles even in hot summer. Not today. House is totally insulated + all duct work replaced not too many years ago. So keeps the power bills very low. Unit finally started to cycle about 0800pm. Just went outside and there is zero winds so no turbines are moving. I will gladly take it over all the rains and tornados so many unfortunate ones have suffered thru the last few weeks.

Reactions: 4WD
I've been there. WalMart corporate definitely doesn't spend money on fancy facilities. Place looks like a State Penitentiary. When vendors come in there to negotiate, they definitely get the vibe that this better be the lowest price.
The Walmart I frequent is perhaps not the fanciest place, but is just fine. Now when I was in Arlington, TX, the Walmart was beautiful, pretty darn upscale compared to our local store.

And the oil is the same as auto parts stores, except for the price.

I called Valvoline customer support a few years ago about this, and was told that the oil is exactly the same, but Walmart gets its own barcode. This obviously makes people believe the oil in the jug is different, but it's not. I'd think other oil brands do the same with Walmart. The part number on the bottle is what to go by.
I agree it's all the same inside, I believe the only difference one retailer would have a different number is to designate them. A lot of promos especially for oil excludes certain retailers especially WM whereas if you buy from Advance, AutoZone, etc... you've paid a lot more for the oil so rebates are not an issue.

Anyone remember the 5.1 quart oil jug phase Walmart went through about 12 years ago?

I don't recall that, but I wonder why they chose 5.1? I could see if it was 5.28 quarts, as that's exactly 5 liters. Up here in Canada some of our oils come in 5L jugs and some come in 5 qt jugs.

I don't recall that, but I wonder why they chose 5.1?
No clue on the why. I may have it backwards and it may have started at the auto parts stores first. I just know for a time, there was a difference in the jug sizes of what was sold in Walmart and the auto parts stores.

No clue on the why. I may have it backwards and it may have started at the auto parts stores first. I just know for a time, there was a difference in the jug sizes of what was sold in Walmart and the auto parts stores.

I remember!!

I thought auto parts stores had 5.1 and Walmart had 5.0, but I could be wrong. I thought it was so the parts stores wouldn't have to price match, but I never gave it much thought beyond that.

Back