Oil requirement for new '20 Ecoboost 2.0

Hi guys,

New to this, Ford rec 10w-30 MC semi syn. I plan on 5000 OCI's. I'm reading all sorts of contradictory stuff about semi Vs. Full Syn. Can someone explain the virtues of either to me please?
Seems to be the question of the week, if you look around you'll find lots of information on this site. Even a very similar question posted just yesterday I think. But having said that, what kind of contradictory information are you finding and where?

One should always focus on the required or recommended specification, approval or license rather than base stock composition. What does your owner's manual say in regards to that?

5.7 quarts of 5w-30 is Ford's spec for the 2020 Fusion with the 2.0L ecoboost

Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is probably the best synthetic blend on the market right now

Really any full synthetic 5w-30 you can get off the shelf is going to work just fine, but Valvoline Synthetic, Mobil 1, Supertech Full Synthetic (according to the product data sheet), and Motorcraft currently meet the newest wss-m2c961-a1 spec.

Mostly marketing. watch and think about it. Buy whichever oil that is on sale and meets the manufacture's specs and is from a quality company.

In general:
Full Syn > Semi Syn (blend) > Conventional (dino)

With 5K oci I would do either blend or syn.

Your owner's manual should say 5W-30. Full 'synthetics' are the best oils for avoiding turbo coking, varnish & sludge. Semi-syn probably won't do any of those things at 5,000 mile OCI, but for a few bucks more, you can have a full syn, which is actually just a highly refined conventional (Group III) oil unless you bump up to the Redlines & Amsoils of the world (Group IV and V). Mobil1 EP is a good choice for this engine due to favorable NOACK & sulfated ash numbers, as quite a number of 2.0 owners experience valve contamination due to the PVC and the sub-par oil separator Ford installed with it. You've bought a 2020 Escape / Edge / MKC, etc. ?

Reactions: dcd
Seems to be the question of the week, if you look around you'll find lots of information on this site. Even a very similar question posted just yesterday I think. But having said that, what kind of contradictory information are you finding and where?

One should always focus on the required or recommended specification, approval or license rather than base stock composition. What does your owner's manual say in regards to that

Manual says Motorcraft, and "SN+".

Manual says Motorcraft, and "SN+".
SN+ (or its superseded license SP) is fairly stringent as far as API licenses go. Any oil meeting that specification and also of an appropriate grade will work well.

So where did you see contradictory information about the benefits or hazards between semi-synthetic and fully synthetic oil?

Your owner's manual should say 5W-30. Full 'synthetics' are the best oils for avoiding turbo coking, varnish & sludge. Semi-syn probably won't do any of those things at 5,000 mile OCI, but for a few bucks more, you can have a full syn, which is actually just a highly refined conventional (Group III) oil unless you bump up to the Redlines & Amsoils of the world (Group IV and V). Mobil1 EP is a good choice for this engine due to favorable NOACK & sulfated ash numbers, as quite a number of 2.0 owners experience valve contamination due to the PVC and the sub-par oil separator Ford installed with it. You've bought a 2020 Escape / Edge / MKC, etc. ?
Thanks, this is helpful. It's a Corsair. I just changed out the factory fill at 900 miles, some say not to go full syn until 3000k? Mobil 1 is easy.

Why would Ford not rec a full syn here, they do for various other fluids?

Why would Ford not rec a full syn here, they do for various other fluids?
One reason is because they recommend or require a performance standard (API SN PLUS) which dictates the required performance of the oil. How that is achieved is up to the oil manufacturer or blender.

SN+ (or its superseded license SP) is fairly stringent as far as API licenses go. Any oil meeting that specification and also of an appropriate grade will work well.

So where did you see contradictory information about the benefits or hazards between semi-synthetic and fully synthetic oil?
Recall I'm not an oil guy so I cannot evaluate all these claims. But, a common one is that certain additives work better within the molecular structure of dino.

The larger issue for me as a car enthusiast yet not versed in the minutia of oil is that I want to do the best thing here, yet don't really understand it on the granular level required to make an informed choice. So, for me, the default position is manufacturer's rec, yet when look around, theres's contradictory information.

Why would Ford spec an oil that is not best for their products?

Recall I'm not an oil guy so I cannot evaluate all these claims. But, a common one is that certain additives work better within the molecular structure of dino.

This is a new one on me. I haven’t seen anything in writing that certain additives work better within conventional oil molecules.

Pay no mind to those that say not to switch to syn. It's an old belief that leads back to engine builders, and a time when new car engines weren't built to the precise standards that exist today. This no longer applies to brand new cars. Engine builders will tell you that you shouldn't use syn in a newly-rebuilt engine because it will prevent proper break-in. I can't speak to the truth / falsity of that statement, because I'm not an engine builder. What I can tell you is that there is a very long list of brand new cars that come with synthetic oil in the engine. Switch to whatever you want, whenever you want. I change the factory fill in my new cars at 500 miles.

The larger issue for me as a car enthusiast yet not versed in the minutia of oil is that I want to do the best thing here, yet don't really understand it on the granular level required to make an informed choice. So, for me, the default position is manufacturer's rec, yet when look around, theres's contradictory information.

Why would Ford spec an oil that is not best for their products?
Yes, use what Ford specifies which is an oil that carries the SN PLUS (or now SP) license.

Couple things about looking at oil information

a) If the thread is more than about two years old, chances are the information has been updated since then
b) if someone mentions something like "synthetic can't be used in new engines" or "synthetic oil causes more leaks" or any other statements that may have been true thirty years ago, immediately discount that persons opinion.

In terms of full synth vs semi, as has been stated in this thread as long as the oil meets the approval, that is really all that matters. Most people however do choose a syn because at extremes, they perform better, and they are only marginally more expensive.

iirc, I read that the engine builders wanted dino after a rebuild (obviously doesn't apply to new from factory) because with dino there is more "friction" (not as slik) and helps the break-in ... Not sure as I ain't no expert but it could possibly fall under old wives' tale. No?

...But, a common one is that certain additives work better within the molecular structure of dino.
I would be interested in the source of this comment because at a minimum it is a misunderstanding of PCMO formulation strategy and the chemistry involved.

For my 19 Fusion 2.0, I decided on Motorcraft Synthetic Blend every 5000 miles. I was tempted to go the 10,000 mile OCI as
recommended in the manual but this was my first turbo. After reading some threads here and at other sites, I decided to go the shorter OCI.

Back