Oil recommendations for 2008 Honda Accord V6 3.5L

Bought the car back in July 2020. Car has an unknown maintenance history. It is the non VCM variant as it is a 6 speed manual coupe (supposedly VCM causes high levels of oil consumption on these motors) 148k Miles on the clock. Did the timing belt and water pump and spark plugs/ Air filter after I purchased it. OLM was at 100 but the oil change sticker from some quick lube place called for an oil change in about 1500 miles. I ran out the 1500 miles and noticed some oil loss on the dipstick as well as some pretty dark oil deposits upon wiping. Looked inside the oil fill hole upon purchase but just looked mildly varnished nothing too crazy.
Noticed a small leak from what could have been the valve cover as well but didn't scare me off as i got it for a pretty good price( These 6 speed variants are getting harder to find in good shape bodywise)

I decided to try out some short ocis with synthetic high mileage oils to try and do some cleaning. I ran techron right before i did the first oil change
- PPHM 5w20 for 4k (leak stopped within the first 1500 mi and has since still not returned)
- Maxlife HM 5w20 for 4k (Added a half quart of MMO for the last 500 miles as well as techron before i drained)
- Mobil 1 HM 5w20 1400 on the current fill as we speak

Oil usage has been relatively consistent at about a quart per 2000 miles. This wasn't that surprising as I do frequent runs up to higher rpms and some spirited driving with the car. I plan on doing one more short run for this OCI to 5k and maybe trying out an amsoil flush before changing oil again.

Would 5W30 make sense at this point or should i stay in grade? and what oil would you recommend for me? Im hoping to curb the consumption a little more if possible.

M1 5w30 EP High Mileage. Buy 2 jugs at Walmart and submit for the rebates. About $10/ jug that way. One of their best oils. Plus you’re already using M1 now. Although hard to stop consumption if redlining it a lot.

M1 5w30 EP High Mileage. Buy 2 jugs at Walmart and submit for the rebates. About $10/ jug that way. One of their best oils. Plus you’re already using M1 now. Although hard to stop consumption if redlining it a lot.
M1EPHM is still on sale at O'Reilly with a $10 gift card, plus you can price match it there to Walmart at $24.95, and still catch the M1 rebate for $15 to make it "free"

M1EPHM is still on sale at O'Reilly with a $10 gift card, plus you can price match it there to Walmart at $24.95, and still catch the M1 rebate for $15 to make it "free"
Definitely wanted to try the EP just wasnt sure if it made sense because ive been running shorter cleaning oci's. I did however read that the EP is significantly more % PAO and ester content so im guessing it would clean better. Im going to give that EP a shot after this 5k run and hit the amsoil flush before i drain.

and as far a price matching goes i was reading on their website that O'Reily only price matches car parts stores prices on oils etc. If not i think it would be worth a shot and it would give me plenty of top up oil for the next oil change if i get two jugs.

I guess I was sticking to 5w20 because i live up in the northeast so i wasnt sure if the 30wt might be too thick for the colder winter temps but maybe im just overthinking things

I use 5w-30 RP HMX in my 2008 TL-S with 322k miles. Only oil I've found to slow oil consumption. Burns about 1 quart every 1,000. I've tried various different HM oils too.

Definitely wanted to try the EP just wasnt sure if it made sense because ive been running shorter cleaning oci's. I did however read that the EP is significantly more % PAO and ester content so im guessing it would clean better. Im going to give that EP a shot after this 5k run and hit the amsoil flush before i drain.

and as far a price matching goes i was reading on their website that O'Reily only price matches car parts stores prices on oils etc. If not i think it would be worth a shot and it would give me plenty of top up oil for the next oil change if i get two jugs.

I guess I was sticking to 5w20 because i live up in the northeast so i wasnt sure if the 30wt might be too thick for the colder winter temps but maybe im just overthinking things
Who cares if you use it for less than the intended drain interval if the price was right? M1EP will protect up to 20,000 miles* but that doesn't mean that you should run it that long.

Your mileage may vary for the price match. I had no issue having them match Walmart and Home Depot. Below is the verbiage I found from O'Reilly on the price match, which I interpret as "We'll match pretty much everyone that has a brick and mortar store"

"O'Reilly Auto Parts strives to provide the lowest possible price to our customers; however, we are currently unable to price match online competitors. Our retail locations do have a low price guarantee and will match the price of most local competitors."

In very cold temperatures it's the oil's winter rating that dictates the cold-weather performance.

Pick a 5w-30 HM and go forth. It'll be fine for MA winter. Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol all make good oil. If you want a really tough oil, go with a Euro 5w-30.

So an update I’m a little over 2k and have added about 2quarts so Mobil 1 hm has somewhat increased my consumption. Instead of topping up when I got low at the 2k mark i ran the amsoil flush and drained. Oil came out blacker than I’ve seen even after the first draining of that unknown fill after purchase.

I was at my moms house where I have my ramps and do my oil changes helping her out with some window ac installs and forgot that I had bought 5qts Maxlife 5w30 and a Fram extra guard for my civic that uses the same filter. Engine sounds much quieter and my light valve tick has pretty much gone away. Idk if it’s the flush or going up a grade but I’m going to monitor oil usage over the next 3-5k without really pushing the rpms.

If the consumption still is high I might take one more stab at a bg epr/44k/moa combo off Amazon. Will be trying out the Mobil 1 Ep after this if my consumption tapers off

Nothing wrong with any quality synthetic 0w20 or 5w30 run to the MM-suggested OCI. Use whatever is on sale :)

You could try a HM oil as well. Napa HM synthetic is on sale this month. Pair it with a Napa Platinum filter. Another idea is to use 4 quarts of HM and then add a can of Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver :unsure:

You guys having oil consumption issues should try Red Line oil. I went from RP to RL and it improved consumptions significantly. Mine is a 4 cylinder accord.

You guys having oil consumption issues should try Red Line oil. I went from RP to RL and it improved consumptions significantly. Mine is a 4 cylinder accord.
I was thinking about trying redline. What weight are you running?

I was thinking about trying redline. What weight are you running?
Mine calls for 0w20 and I use 0w20. I have seen my consumption drop alot. I just topped off after 3k miles and was down 3/8 of a quart.

Just an update. Not sure if it’s the increase in viscosity or the amsoil flush that freed up my rings but im 1200 miles in and I’m barely 1/4 quart down. Been driving more conservative on the max life 5w30 change so far but had a couple high rpm highway runs and the level is holding up.

I’m thinking about staying with this oil and filter combo maybe just going with the tough guard instead of the extra guard. I want to go back to syn so I can maybe run 6-7k ocis from here on in if possible though. Does it make sense to go to switch to syn maxlife? Or I was thinking about trying out the super tech hm full syn. Any advice?

Last edited:
IMO if you’ve tried multiple products and the last one you used works, just stick with the maxlife 5w30. No need to do anymore experimenting, you found your solution.

ML is fine but if you want a full syn. try M1 EP High Mileage. Probably in the 5w30 variant then report back. Buy two jugs at WM and submit for the rebate.

Just an update. Not sure if it’s the increase in viscosity or the amsoil flush that freed up my rings but im 1200 miles in and I’m barely 1/4 quart down. Been driving more conservative on the max life 5w30 change so far but had a couple high rpm highway runs and the level is holding up.

I’m thinking about staying with this oil and filter combo maybe just going with the tough guard instead of the extra guard. I want to go back to syn so I can maybe run 6-7k ocis from here on in if possible though. Does it make sense to go to switch to syn maxlife? Or I was thinking about trying out the super tech hm full syn. Any advice?
If the Maxlife 5W30 is working for you -- stick with it. Follow the OLM like others have mentioned and good luck.

Bought the car back in July 2020. Car has an unknown maintenance history. It is the non VCM variant as it is a 6 speed manual coupe (supposedly VCM causes high levels of oil consumption on these motors) 148k Miles on the clock. Did the timing belt and water pump and spark plugs/ Air filter after I purchased it. OLM was at 100 but the oil change sticker from some quick lube place called for an oil change in about 1500 miles. I ran out the 1500 miles and noticed some oil loss on the dipstick as well as some pretty dark oil deposits upon wiping. Looked inside the oil fill hole upon purchase but just looked mildly varnished nothing too crazy.
Noticed a small leak from what could have been the valve cover as well but didn't scare me off as i got it for a pretty good price( These 6 speed variants are getting harder to find in good shape bodywise)

I decided to try out some short ocis with synthetic high mileage oils to try and do some cleaning. I ran techron right before i did the first oil change
- PPHM 5w20 for 4k (leak stopped within the first 1500 mi and has since still not returned)
- Maxlife HM 5w20 for 4k (Added a half quart of MMO for the last 500 miles as well as techron before i drained)
- Mobil 1 HM 5w20 1400 on the current fill as we speak

Oil usage has been relatively consistent at about a quart per 2000 miles. This wasn't that surprising as I do frequent runs up to higher rpms and some spirited driving with the car. I plan on doing one more short run for this OCI to 5k and maybe trying out an amsoil flush before changing oil again.

Would 5W30 make sense at this point or should i stay in grade? and what oil would you recommend for me? Im hoping to curb the consumption a little more if possible.
Personally I'd use either a 0w20 or a 5w30. Both would cover your needs without issue. In our Honda I ran 5w30 pennzoil Platinum without issue for years.

Back