Oil Recommendation, please . . .

Small city here as well. Napa has great price, if not the best, for this M1 FS X2 5W-50.

I was going to run 10W-40, but this 5W-50 may be just the right oil. And it's Porsche A40 approved, feeling better.

I would go as thick as possible in your climate, and don't mind the lack of A40 rating for regular road usage. These engines have problem with the cylinders, very common to change the engines out completely, in addition to the problem with the roller bearing on the IMS axle (the second bearing on the IMS is not a roller). One thing is to look at the state of the spark plugs on these engines, another is boroscoping the cylinders. Thick oil will reduce the smoke and give you an additional time until the cylinders are done.

I would go as thick as possible in your climate, and don't mind the lack of A40 rating for regular road usage. These engines have problem with the cylinders, very common to change the engines out completely, in addition to the problem with the roller bearing on the IMS axle (the second bearing on the IMS is not a roller). One thing is to look at the state of the spark plugs on these engines, another is boroscoping the cylinders. Thick oil will reduce the smoke and give you an additional time until the cylinders are done.
He also has a 2.7, which is the least likely M96 to develop bore score.

Also, the car is 20 years old. If it was going to have an IMS problem it would have already happened. I would change it out with the clutch.

Thanks, she wanted to 6try M1 HM 10W-40, it's her car, she's the boss.
I wouldn't think that would meet Porsche A40. You can certainly check.

Pull it down to the minimum mark.
Idle it for 60 seconds before shutting off.
If this fixes it the only thing wrong is the way its being operated.

the 2.7s don’t have exploding cylinders and scratching themselves to death problem. when it grew into the 3.4 it became an deadly storm of catastrophic failures.

what was a decent and reasonably durable design in the 1996 boxster became a laughing stock among porsche people

Last edited:
Back