Oil recommendation for 2014 Kia Rondo (GDI engine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. First post here at BITOG but long-time lurker.

I have never done my own oil change, but I have access to a proper garage and a friend who is a mechanic who can show me how to do it.

Going to start doing my own oil changes on my new 2014 Kia Rondo. It has the gasoline direct injection engine, which if I understand correctly produces some extra heat within the engine.

Took a look at a few stickies, so I would like to copy and paste the suggested questions, and add any other info. I will also attach the recommended oil specs straight from the Kia manual (pics attached at end).

1. What kind of vehicle you have

2014 Kia Rondo.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well

See attached pics for oil specifications. I will change my oil every 4000kms/4 months, whichever comes first. This is much earlier than the 5000kms 'severe' schedule, but this car does see a lot of city driving. Will use Kia(Hyundai part number) oil filter as its supposed to be a good one, and it will assist me with having a record with the dealer for warranty purposes.

OS1StjK.gif

KKVCVje.gif

3. Where you live

Toronto, Canada. -20c winters, 30c summers.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)

A bit of a heavy foot.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)

Our commute is approx 2-3kms to work
grin.gif
Mostly short trips, with a very long one (excess of 7000kms) every summer.

6. Whether your car has any known problems

No problems. The car has a GDI engine, which is a little different than a regular direct-injection engine (as I understand).

If you have any preferences -- synthetic vs. conventional, store-bought vs. ordered online, how long you'd like to go between oil changes, etc. -- or any other info you think might be important, let us know that as well.

I don't mind spending good money on oil, so I would not mind using synthetic. My plan is to pick a good oil, and buy it when it goes on special and stock up. If any synthetic helps with fuel economy or performance, then that would help but as I understand it that is just marketing for the most part (but would love to be wrong on that).

The easiest place for me to buy oil is at a retailer called Canadian Tire. Typically, Mobil 1, Castrol Edge/Syntec, Pennzoil Platinum, Royal Purple, Castrol Edge/Titanium, and a Motomaster brand. I have no brand preference. At the dealer when I asked for the first oil change to be done, the dealer offered me a choice of 'Kia Synthetic' or Amsoil. I chose Amsoil, but the dealer charges a huge amount for it so Amsoil is not on my list.

I hope all this helps. Did not see a recommendation here for this vehicle under similar circumstances already, so I hope this post is not too much trouble for you guys to take a look at. Many thanks for any suggestions or feedback.

Last edited:
From the choices you listed I would go with PP 5w20, especially since you are a short tripper the lower viscosity will help. Oh, and WELCOME to BITOG!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
From the choices you listed I would go with PP 5w20, especially since you are a short tripper the lower viscosity will help. Oh, and WELCOME to BITOG!!

Thanks! Any particular reason, or just a tried and tested oil?

BTW is just happens to be 40% off this week too... $27.59 cdn for 5 litres at Canadian Tire.

Originally Posted By: octavian
Originally Posted By: gregk24

Thanks! Any particular reason, or just a tried and tested oil?

BTW is just happens to be 40% off this week too... $27.59 cdn for 5 litres at Canadian Tire.

Well a couple reasons, its a great oil, very well regarded for cleaning and quiet and smooth operation (and Kias are not known for the quietest engines made), its one of the oils you listed that you could buy from Canadian Tire, and its on sale. You wont be disappointed, give it a shot.

If you want to follow the A5 specification, grab some M1 5w-30 from Imperial Oil, and avoid Canadian Tire like the plague, unless they happen to have a sale and have more than 3 jugs in stock.
wink.gif

I have never done my own oil change, but I have access to a proper garage and a friend who is a mechanic who can show me how to do it.

Going to start doing my own oil changes on my new 2014 Kia Rondo.

The easiest place for me to buy oil is at a retailer called Canadian Tire. Typically, Mobil 1, Castrol Edge/Syntec, Pennzoil Platinum, Royal Purple, Castrol Edge/Titanium, and a Motomaster brand. I have no brand preference. At the dealer when I asked for the first oil change to be done, the dealer offered me a choice of 'Kia Synthetic' or Amsoil. I chose Amsoil, but the dealer charges a huge amount for it so Amsoil is not on my list.

GREAT first post and WELCOME:
welcome2.gif

First of all, don't be so hasty to eliminate Amsoil because the dealer charges MSRP+. If you are anywhere near here:

Toronto, ON
6625 Tomken Rd
Units 12-14
Mississauga, ON L5T 2C2

Join up as a PC (Preferred Customer) with me (BITOG site sponsor) using #515729 and you can pick the oil up at the Distribution Center. (link/phone below - in sig)and get the oil at wholesale price (same price I pay). Which in Canada is darn good deal.

I recommend the OE or XL line in 0W-20 or 5W-20.

Thanks!!!

Paul

Is the A5 specification really important?

That is the $64,000 question. When it comes to vehicles that were available here and also sold in the Middle East, some of them call for the ACEA specification (versus the generic API/ILSAC specification here), and in the experience of one of our esteemed members who lives there, the OLM seemed to be reprogrammed for a much longer OCI.

So, in this case, is it a relic from a European manual? Is it nice to have? Or, are they serious about it?

Looking to pick some oil up for this car soon. Thanks for all the responses thus far.

While I realize that most 5w-20 synthetic oils will be fine or even overkill, an enthusiast site like this is useful if one wants to be particular
smile.gif
(I won't lose any sleep otherwise), a friend of mine suggested this oil:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mobil-...ml#.UtGFp1tDuYA

Its the Mobil 1 EP 5w20. Does this oil meet all the specifications for warranty for my car above? Here is the spec page for this oil:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_5W-20.aspx#

The reason I am being very cautious here is that I want to have the best protection possible, while maintaining my 10 year warranty.

Last edited:
I still stick to my previous recommendation. Get some vanilla M1 5w-30 (which is A5/B5) and follow the manual recommendations. Loathe though I am to say it, Walmart is having a "rollback" on it, which is bringing it more into line with Imperial Oil prices; let's see how long that lasts.

EP would be overkill, unless you're extending your OCIs, and I doubt you're planning on that.

If I was in your shoes with the short 4,000km OCI's I'd go with PYB 5w20, VWB or Valvoline synthetic.
PYB is an excellent oil with a great add pack that will offer all the protection you need at a price point that makes it more attractive, you can find it at $15-17 on sale. The other option is to go to walmart for the VWB 5w20(4.73L) for $5.00 on sale or the Valvoline synthetic(4.73L) for $10 when on sale. You can't beat that!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions again folks.

I have a couple of more questions, so bear with me
smile.gif

If I were to discard my restriction on buying from Cdn Tire (and brands listed), and could get a good synthetic oil that was 5w-20 and met the A5 spec, which one would be suitable? Looks like the only A5 spec oil is the Mobil 1 5w-30, but I wonder if its thicker than optimal for my location and cold weather. I might go with the A5/5w-30, but would prefer a A5/5w-20 oil that is considered good.

Also, I am trying to understand what "A5 or higher" means. It seems like the A5 specification is just 'different' than other specifications (ie. A3). This is a learning activity for me, and the threads and sites I have looked at throw a lot more terminology at me than I would like (but seems unavoidable).

Thanks again!

I suppose the "or better" part of A5 is maybe forward looking, as to how A1 is "above" A5. As you note, A3 is different altogether.

A 5w-30 is not too thick for a Toronto climate, particularly if it's not too thick for a Saskatchewan climate.

Originally Posted By: Octavian

The reason I am being very cautious here is that I want to have the best protection possible, while maintaining my 10 year warranty.

You could probably run walmart supertech oil for life of the vehicle and never know the difference.
smile.gif

The Kia/Hyundai warranty is a big marketing gimmick in my opinion. The 10 year powertrain warranty is very limited in what it covers(block and internals), and It's very difficult to file a warranty claim with this company. You will need extensive documentation of all maintenance. I'm not sure having receipts for oil and filters is good enough. The brand of oil you chose will be of least importance. If you really want to preserve the warranty, get your oil changes at the dealership, otherwise in 8 years, if your engine throws a rod or spins a bearing, it's going to be difficult to get the engine fixed/replaced under warranty.

Good call on the OEM Kia/Hyundai filter. This is the only filter I run on my Sonata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back