Oil recommendation for 2006 Silverado SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, new to this forum but not new to forums. I am looking for an oil recommendation for my 2006 Silverado SS, it has a 364ci 6.0L engine. Aftermarket upgrades include: cam, heads, headers, tune, timing chain, full cat back exhaust, and k&n air filter.
I live in north Ft Worth in the Alliance area. My owners manual calls for GM6094M/ SAE 5W-30. I have always used a mobil 1 filter and 5W-30 "full" synthetic but just want to know if its really neccesary after reading some threads here.
I went with the "oil change special" the other day at O'Reilly which consisted of a Bosch Premium filter and the Castrol GTX Semi-syn "High Mileage." The truck has about 76,500 miles on it.
My daily commute is around 15mins of stop and go city driving. I dont beat on it although its modified, I just like knowing the power is there if I want it.
smile.gif
I take it to the track for fun with friends MAYBE twice a year and make about 6 passes each time.
Only "known problem" is the engine lifters tick louder since the cam swap, which everyone I have talked to and everything I read that is perfectly normal.

Any recommendation from the brain trust is appreiciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your oil change interval?

You certainly don't need to use a full synthetic oil, but remember you can go long er between oil changes with it. If you want something a little cheaper but still synthetic, I'd suggest Quaker State Ultimate Durability (QSUD). On the other had, since you do go to the track occasionally I would be tempted to use Mobil 1 0W-40.

There's nothing wrong with the oil change special you picked up either. You reallydo n't need a high mileage oil unless you have leaks or oil consumption, but it certainly won't hurt anything.

Welcome to BITOG!

Doesn't your truck have an oil life monitor (OLM)?

If so, then just go by the OLM's suggestions, if you aren't doing so already.

The Castrol HM you picked up will work fine for the OLM-suggested interval. Actually, almost any oil will be fine for that purpose, even cheap conventional.

Mobil 1 is not necessary, but there is certainly nothing wrong with it.

You have upgrades to your engine and even though you are not using them to their full potential on a regular basis I don't think you can go wrong with any major brand syn 5w30 that is on sale. For example, Wallyworld has Synpower on sale for $22.47 for a 5qt jug. AAP has 5qts of QSUD and a PureOne oil filter on sale for 24.xx. Keep your eyes peeled for deals like that and "syn" is not that much more expensive to use, at a minimum for peace of mind.

Go ahead and run what you have (GTX HM is plenty good) for your normal OCI.
Thanks and Welcome

Originally Posted By: ThirdGear
Any of the major synthetics should be good. Mobil 1 0W40 does work well in those engines.

Agreed. I have a modified 6.0L as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back