2000 camaro ss oil recommendation

in regards to 0w40, I see Mobil has the Fs version and the esp version. If I’m correct esp is mobils “fuel economy” oil and the fs is a full saps oil right? I see the HTHS is rather high for the esp but not listed for the fs but being a euro spec must be above 3.5. Is there one better than the other for my application?

in regards to 0w40, I see Mobil has the Fs version and the esp version. If I’m correct esp is mobils “fuel economy” oil and the fs is a full saps oil right? I see the HTHS is rather high for the esp but not listed for the fs but being a euro spec must be above 3.5. Is there one better than the other for my application?
Both have similar HT/HS, one is not a “fuel economy” oil. That’s impossible.

Pick the one that is least expensive.

I would stay away from anything 0W especially the 40.

Too much spread between the 0 and 40 ... unless 0 is required due to cold temperatures. You have to pay the price for the spread that's neither needed nor necessary. Unless you have to meet some European spec cornering you to use 0W-x

I kind of like to buy the highest W that meets my winter operating temperatures (10W) hence narrower spread. Granted have been using lots of 5W's because of sales and/or availability or popularity.

Too much spread between the 0 and 40 ... unless 0 is required due to cold temperatures. You have to pay the price for the spread that's neither needed nor necessary. Unless you have to meet some European spec cornering you to use 0W-x

I kind of like to buy the highest W that meets my winter operating temperatures (10W) hence narrower spread. Granted have been using lots of 5W's because of sales and/or availability or popularity.
And what exactly is that price that GM, FCA, Porsche, Mercedes AMG...etc are apparently so willing to pay? If you think you are getting a heavier base oil blend with a narrower spread, there's no guarantee of that.

What makes that theory better? Having a 5 or 0w just means it’s thinner at colder temperatures. As soon as the oil heats up even slightly they’re the same. If anything wouldn’t that help during a first start? Thinner oil circulating faster?

And what exactly is that price that GM, FCA, Porsche, Mercedes AMG...etc are apparently so willing to pay? If you think you are getting a heavier base oil blend with a narrower spread, there's no guarantee of that.

I agree in general but I meant the $ price consumer has to pay for something that is way over the requirements or basically an overkill for their engines :ROFLMAO:

Lots of people here are on short OCIs as well. That's like a double overkill since most good 0W-30s and 40s are pricey and meeting much higher specs than required.

When I read back my original post, I could see how "you have to pay the price" could be interpreted as paying the price for having too much vii ... but even though that's not what I meant at the time, now that you mentioned, I do try to avoid oils with high(er) amounts of vm. lol
I know there has been a lot of vii (vm) discussions on bitog with lots of expert opinions.

I have also had a bad luck with 0Ws burning in my older engines even engines with 110K miles and no leaks! These are very clean engines with short OCIs. Also one engine with 30K miles burns oil with 0W-40 but does fine with any 5/10W-30.
When it comes to xW, I go with the highest x that meets my cold weather requirements as long as the oil meets or exceeds other specs in the OM.

I agree in general but I meant the $ price consumer has to pay for something that is way over the requirements or basically an overkill for their engines :ROFLMAO:

Lots of people here are on short OCIs as well. That's like a double overkill since most good 0W-30s and 40s are pricey and meeting much higher specs than required.

When I read back my original post, I could see how "you have to pay the price" could be interpreted as paying the price for having too much vii ... but even though that's not what I meant at the time, now that you mentioned, I do try to avoid oils with high(er) amounts of vm. lol
I know there has been a lot of vii (vm) discussions on bitog with lots of expert opinions.

I have also had a bad luck with 0Ws burning in my older engines even engines with 110K miles and no leaks! These are very clean engines with short OCIs. Also one engine with 30K miles burns oil with 0W-40 but does fine with any 5/10W-30.
When it comes to xW, I go with the highest x that meets my cold weather requirements as long as the oil meets or exceeds other specs in the OM.
OK, that's fair. Yes, you sounded like you were talking about VII being "the price".

Many OEM's now call for a 0W-40 or an approval that covers 0W-40's and the 5W-40's aren't any less expensive. GM is of course one of those companies now with the Mobil 1 Supercar 0W-40.

What makes that theory better? Having a 5 or 0w just means it’s thinner at colder temperatures. As soon as the oil heats up even slightly they’re the same. If anything wouldn’t that help during a first start? Thinner oil circulating faster?

You said GM wants 5W or 10W-30.

Not the cheapest oils but not pricey either ... couple of oils I really like amongst many others:
- M1 EP 10W-30
- Valvoline EP 5W-30

If you want a 40, M1 FS 0W-40 burns in my engine. YMMV

Castrol Euro 0W-40 didn't burn in the same engine. Go figure!

Reactions: SR5
Back