Oil Rating and Biodiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have three vehicles currently running B100 biodiesel. I have a 2001 VW Golf TDI, 2002 VW Jetta TDI, and a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Classic Duramax LBZ. I like Schaeffer oils and have been running the 9000 series 5w-40 in the TDI's and I am about to switch to that in the Duramax. Since I run nothing but biodiesel, would it be better to run the newer CJ-4 oil or should I just stay with CI-4 rating? There is no sulfur in biodiesel and also my oil stays a lot cleaner with biodiesel.

Use whatever API rating the manufacturer calls for. Depending on the emissions system the 07 Chevy may call for CJ-4.

One thing to keep in mind is that when running B100 most manufacturers call for oil change intervals to be cut in 1/2.

The engine I have (LBZ) calls for CI-4. I will probably end up going with CJ-4 because that is what everything is going to anyway. Where did you hear about oil change intervals cut in half running B100? That is the first I have heard of that. What would be the reasoning behind that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back