Oil life monitor and percentages

My bad.

2.0 engine

About 8k miles a year, but two trips of about 1k miles each, so 2k highway and 6k city (about 20 miles on the days I do drive, which is usually once or twice a week.

I hope that helps.

It does, thanks.

That is just a bit more than I drive. I go with 5000 mile oil change intervals which is around one year for me.

Since you are running the EcoBoost engine I would go with 5k intervals and keep an eye out when oil goes on sale or when rebates happen. We have a subforum here just for that. That would help save you some money to boot.

It does, thanks.

That is just a bit more than I drive. I go with 5000 mile oil change intervals which is around one year for me.

Since you are running the EcoBoost engine I would go with 5k intervals and keep an eye out when oil goes on sale or when rebates happen. We have a subforum here just for that. That would help save you some money to boot.

I'm with ya! Eco does well with a SN+ and 5k OCI.

Since I have been trying to figure out how my OLM works in Caravan I stumbled back into my old habit of heavy equipment with 200 hour oil changes. Of course this is from the 80s but we only lost one 300 cubic inch ford engine in 5 years. I can say without a doubt this is better. On my vehicle it is 4500 or so miles but some on here could be 8k. The only way to tell for sure is testing.

Mostly those that idle a lot.

Going by amount of fuel consumed might be a better indicator for cars.
Amount of fuel consumption is not accurate in my opinion. Mine gets 17 in town and a Corolla can get 30 so does that mean Corolla has less wear therefore half the oil changes?

How many vehicles track by hours ? I think some trucks do but do passenger cars ?
Most Fords 2015 and newer have a time of engine running, it's part of the fuel mileage info suite. 66 hours on this run so far. I use Trip 2 to show the time and miles on the oil. Trip 2 gets reset when the oil gets changed.

Mustang Trip Info.jpg

Last edited:
I thought that was “key on” time.
I don't think so ... I'd have to check to be sure. But even so, how many people sit in their cars with just the key/ignition on? I think it only counts time when the engine is running.

Amount of fuel consumption is not accurate in my opinion. Mine gets 17 in town and a Corolla can get 30 so does that mean Corolla has less wear therefore half the oil changes?
I meant total amount of fuel consumed during the course of an OCI. You need to establish what that amount should be for each engine/vehicle. For example, for your van it could be 300 gallons per OCI while for a Corolla it could be 200 gallons per OCI.

The point is that correlating OCI to total amount of fuel burned accounts for a lot of different operating scenarios. For example, city driving results in worse MPG which causes you to burn more fuel, thus shortening the OCI. Short tripping and running on cold engine - same thing because of higher fuel consumption. Extensive idling = same thing - you're not racking up miles but you're still burning fuel, so it shortens your OCI.

I don't think so ... I'd have to check to be sure. But even so, how many people sit in their cars with just the key/ignition on? I think it only counts time when the engine is running.
We have a '14 Fusion and it's a "Trip timer". Manual says

Trip Timer— timer stops when the vehicle is turned off and restarts when the vehicle is restarted.

I meant total amount of fuel consumed during the course of an OCI. You need to establish what that amount should be for each engine/vehicle. For example, for your van it could be 300 gallons per OCI while for a Corolla it could be 200 gallons per OCI.

The point is that correlating OCI to total amount of fuel burned accounts for a lot of different operating scenarios. For example, city driving results in worse MPG which causes you to burn more fuel, thus shortening the OCI. Short tripping and running on cold engine - same thing because of higher fuel consumption. Extensive idling = same thing - you're not racking up miles but you're still burning fuel, so it shortens your OCI.

This would be 98.8 gallons burned in 1670 miles and 66 hours (1.5 gal/hr avg burn rate). Just divide the miles traveled by the avg MPG.

1625278022857.jpg

We have a '14 Fusion and it's a "Trip timer". Manual says: "Trip Timer— timer stops when the vehicle is turned off and restarts when the vehicle is restarted."

Yep, the word "restarted" is key - it clearly means it's counting time only when the engine is running. I know for a fact it counts time when the car is stopped and the engine is running. Wouldn't make sense for a trip timer to count time if the engine was turned off and ignition on.

Last edited:
I'm using semi synthetic oil (Pennzoil) in my '17 Ford Edge. It's got 41k miles and the percentage is 14%. Will the oil be in worse condition if I wait until it's at 0%? I know oil wears down as the miles add up, but I just want to make sure that if I go by the monitor, and wait until 0%, I'll be able to get to 100k miles on the engine.

your oil life monitor has no idea if you used dollar store conventional oil or top shelf synthetic. The short answer is on a reputable semi synthetic you’ll be fine. There’s no obvious reason your car won’t make it to 100k+ If you use good oil and filters and change as recommended.

Just my $0.02

your oil life monitor has no idea if you used dollar store conventional oil or top shelf synthetic. The short answer is on a reputable semi synthetic you’ll be fine. There’s no obvious reason your car won’t make it to 100k+ If you use good oil and filters and change as recommended.

Just my $0.02
And a clean air filter .

Different way of doing it. To me it's easier and it works for short trip, idling, Interstate etc. as hrs are running as engine is on so fuel is being burnt. I don't need any formula or worry about mpg. My drives are crazy enough as one day I may go 3 miles next drive to New Orleans or may have to do Lafayette so with hours i don't have to keep fuel purchases which can very from one station to another depending upon to many factors. We also know instrument cluster is certified for mph and fuel mileage. I understand what is said about hours and unknown rpm but best I have found.

Back