oil level,inconsistent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the anti-drain back valve was leaking. Not surprising really, it's just a rubber flap.

Your Honda filter is probably a Fram filter.
frown.gif

Oil retentive car eh? Alot like some of us here on this board
lol.gif

I agree the filter is trapping the oil then coughing it up later.

If you make oil and the level keeps increasing I would say a fuel dilution problem.

Try another type filter. I 've read the post about the honda filters but I've had good luck with them. On our Honda test engines we run AC PF 1127.

[ August 17, 2002, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

Chances are very good that this Honda filter was a Fram since he's in Canada.

The AC Delco PF1127s can be tricky to find sometimes, as it seems only one out of every 3
Walmarts that I check ends up having any in stock. Another alternative is the Purolator
L14459 filter.

Also not sure it this will make a difference in the Teg, but in my Prelude if it's on a small incline with the front end up, it will give an erronous reading. Sometimes it shows at the bottom dot, which is about 1L low!
shocked.gif
Meanwhile I just put in 5L when I changed the oil. So make sure the car is hot, on even ground and let it sit about 5-10 min before you check the oil level.

Now I have a K&N.Very expensive.
Thanks for the sugestions.I'll try to find them.It'll be tough here,in N Ontario.
Would be the ones you recommended suitable for longer drains,10-12.000Km?Is the AC delco the better on?What's a decent price to pay for it?
I also noticed that K&N air filters are not very restrictive.Would that be true for Mobil 1 oil filters,since the element is not paper?

I think the Purolators could probably do 10-12,000km intervals pretty easily, as that's still only 6 to 7000 miles. Just about any oil filter can go this long without plugging up.

Mobil 1 oil filters supposedly still flow very well, even though they filter out small particles. This
is because of their synthetic media, which will flow better than a paper filter would at that
same filtration level (in other words, a paper media filter that would stop particles 10 microns
and larger would not flow as well as a synthetic media filter at that same particle level)

I think the Purolators are better than the AC Delcos, as AC Delco filters only stop about 25-30
micron particles for the most part, while Purolators are good for 15-20. The Purolator
has a multipass efficiency of 96%, the AC Delcos score around 85% on this test I believe.

Around here the AC Delco PF1127 is about $4, the Purolator is around $6 or $7.

[ August 17, 2002, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Hy,everybody.I've been following the treads for a while,never posted here before.Overwhelmig level of info on this site!
I own a 1995 Acura Integra,140.000K.Decently maintained,burning about 1qt oil/3000mi.
On long trips it happen to show low level of oil.I would add to bring it to the highest mark,thinking that for sure there is something wrong with the engine.Only to find 500miles later that I over filled.
I allways waited enough before checking and the car not being perfectly level would not make for such big differences.I got the car checked and nothing wrong showed.
It only happened twice,a few years back and last summer while driving to Florida.
I posted here because I thought it may have something to do with the filter,drain back valve?
It may just show you how much I know!
I was using Honda filters.
Thanks

Thank you Patman.I hate to come up with these newbie questions,but the search function didn't yeld nothing.
Is the K&N I'm using now highly efficient?How about the ones made by Filtech for Honda in US?

Quick_lude,on an incline it makes a difference,but not much.My regular parking spot is well tilted and it makes for about 3mm on the stick.

I use K&N (over-priced though they are). They advertise 10-20 micron size and also indicate 90% effficiency. It really isn't clear whether they are 90% at 10, 20, 30 micron size of if thats single pass, or multiple pass efficiencies. Who knows?
dunno.gif
The filter is made by Champion Labs as far as I can tell.

The media is not synthetic. However I use the filter because of its high advertised flow and sturdy cannister. It has the thickest going. I have measured numerous ones and it is over twice the thickness of Purolator's paper thin .009". Sorry but that just scares me. Thats why I switched from Purolator.

Terry had mentioned that the K&N oil filters were not all that efficient. I think he posted that
they were only 50% efficient at 35 microns! So they are built for flow, not really fine
filtration.

On a small engine, I'd agree that it is the filter draining back.
On larger engines, sometimes you need 15 to 30 minutes for it to drain back. I once had a complaint that a Front End Loader was "evaporating" 4 liters a day. Their procedure was to have a mechanic drive around the work site, stop the equipment, measure, and add. Every day he added 4 liters. I read the book: Wait 30 minutes before measuring oil level. Changed the procedure to have the operator read the level in the morning before starting the engine. Consumption dropped to 1 liter a week.

I own a Bronco that is only driven on weekends. For several years, I noticed that same phenomenon of the oil level fluctuating for no apparent reason. A faulty anti-drainback valve in the filter never entered my mind.

During this time, I also had Fram filters on it.

I can't imagine any anti-drain back valve holding back the oil for a week. It's just a rubber flap on a hole. Other than the shape of the rubber there isn't any mechanical means to hold the rubber on the hole.

OK,thanks to your recommandation I got the Purolator.$7.99Can.
I have a trip to make in the US,should I pick up some OEM filters from there?Any data for Filtech's filtration ability?
Off topic,I'm seriously thinking to buy some BMW oil.That for my baby Lude.
Quick_lude,why check the oil while the engine still hot.I allways thought the longer it sits the better.A slight incline makes more diff in the Prelude,just foud out yesterday!!

I'd say stick with the Purolators over the OEM Honda filters, even the ones from the US. OEM filters are generally made well, but the media is only 25-30 microns for the most part. They don't want it to filter too fine in case people extend their oil changes longer than the recommended amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back