oil for rarely used car

I was just about to ask this question. I have a new 2020 4Runner that's been sitting in the garage since COVID came around in March. I did the oil change in 6/20, Drove 200 miles between then and now, now it's seldom used maybe once a month since then.

Should I look to change the oil due to this acid issue come June again? The vehicle is garage parked. I currently have PUP 0W-20 in it.
It’s about miles driven or rather fuel burnt.

Parked time doesn’t really count, it could sit for two years on fresh oil and be fine.

Charge your battery and check your tyre pressure.

I was just about to ask this question. I have a new 2020 4Runner that's been sitting in the garage since COVID came around in March. I did the oil change in 6/20, Drove 200 miles between then and now, now it's seldom used maybe once a month since then.

Should I look to change the oil due to this acid issue come June again? The vehicle is garage parked. I currently have PUP 0W-20 in it.

Is there any reason you couldn’t take it out once a week for example and drive it for an hour?

With just 200miles...NO!
It’s about miles driven or rather fuel burnt.

Parked time doesn’t really count, it could sit for two years on fresh oil and be fine.

Charge your battery and check your tyre pressure.
Is there any reason you couldn’t take it out once a week for example and drive it for an hour?

Ok.

Ok sounds good.

Good question. It isn't my vehicle, but my girlfriend's. She started working from home and it has barely been driven. Been trying to get her to let me drive it.

Sit & stored, or just sit?
Can you start them while they sit?
OEM spec'd oil or similar, and then start them weekly, let idle for 30-45min or until water temp is at operating temp.

Sit & stored, or just sit?
Can you start them while they sit?
OEM spec'd oil or similar, and then start them weekly, let idle for 30-45min or until water temp is at operating temp.
Not a good rec
Don’t let it sit idling. That’s worse than letting it sit. Only start it if you can drive it for a good hour min. and really heat it up. Oil is based on time the engine is running and miles. Time sitting does not affect oil, unless of course it’s laden with contaminants. However clean oil in a crank case is pretty close to clean oil in a bottle.
If you don’t believe me ask Blackstone labs.

Not a good rec
Don’t let it sit idling. That’s worse than letting it sit. Only start it if you can drive it for a good hour min. and really heat it up. Oil is based on time the engine is running and miles. Time sitting does not affect oil, unless of course it’s laden with contaminants. However clean oil in a crank case is pretty close to clean oil in a bottle.
If you don’t believe me ask Blackstone labs.
I thought it was more about water condensation, so letting it idle at temp for a bit will allow the water to vaporize off.

Not sure what you mean by "really heat up". Operating temp is operating temp, no? And won't the engine actually be a bit hotter when not driving it?

I thought it was more about water condensation, so letting it idle at temp for a bit will allow the water to vaporize off.

Not sure what you mean by "really heat up". Operating temp is operating temp, no? And won't the engine actually be a bit hotter when not driving it?
Running it at low idle speed would *create* vapor - only when you run it at full operating (driving around) temps do you burn off those vapors. And open the filler cap when you park it to further vent it out.
Also it’s good to warm up and circulate the tranny and diff fluids....

Back