Oil for new 18 Stinger GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Spdfrk1990
Can we just drop the whole 0w thing? I am not giving them any reason to come back at me for possible engine trouble. I also did not design the engine and for some reason they decided 0w should not be used in the V6. Hyundai does make the engine as well after all.
So any thoughts on my Walmart options?
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30 in quarts $6.64 a qt
Castrol Edge 5W40 5qt jug $27.47
Mobil 1 EP 5w30 5qt jug $28.68

I would go with the EP to minimize LSPI concerns after having my present DIT engine recalled for that issue, but I could also see an argument for using a higher HTHS 5W40 for your application. You can also get a rebate right now for the EP. Guess I am more LSPI-OCD than HTHS-OCD.

I am going to modify my recommendation here based upon some new info I have found.
Apparently, dexos2 includes an LSPI test just like dexos1 Gen 2, so I would go with the Edge 5W40 as a dexos2 product with higher HTHS for that high output engine.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...t??#Post4711287

Can we just drop the whole 0w thing? I am not giving them any reason to come back at me for possible engine trouble. I also did not design the engine and for some reason they decided 0w should not be used in the V6. Hyundai does make the engine as well after all.
So any thoughts on my Walmart options?
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30 in quarts $6.64 a qt
Castrol Edge 5W40 5qt jug $27.47
Mobil 1 EP 5w30 5qt jug $28.68

I would go with the EP to minimize LSPI concerns after having my present DIT engine recalled for that issue, but I could also see an argument for using a higher HTHS 5W40 for your application. You can also get a rebate right now for the EP. Guess I am more LSPI-OCD than HTHS-OCD.

I am going to modify my recommendation here based upon some new info I have found.
Apparently, dexos2 includes an LSPI test just like dexos1 Gen 2, so I would go with the Edge 5W40 as a dexos2 product with higher HTHS for that high output engine.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...t??#Post4711287

I did not see a dexos cert anywhere on the 5w40 edge bottle?

Really! It shows up in the master list of dexos2 oils.
Could it possibly be an older bottle?
I guess I remember looking at Edge some time ago and getting confused by all the variants.

https://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2/

OK, it looks like the US Edge 5W40 is A3/B4 but not dexos2. Maybe the dexos2 variant is only available in Europe??
Anyway, if you can find a dexos2 oil that looks good to you, you can have some assurance that it should help limit LSPI events in a DIT engine like yours. Opens you up to some higher HTHS oils than d1G2.
I will look to see exactly what dexos2 oils, if any, are available at most local WMs...

Last edited:

Really! It shows up in the master list of dexos2 oils.
Could it possibly be an older bottle?
I guess I remember looking at Edge some time ago and getting confused by all the variants.

https://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2/

I noticed that as well. I do know the black bottle 5w30 edge has the dexos cert but I have not seen it on a 5w40.

I noticed that as well. I do know the black bottle 5w30 edge has the dexos cert but I have not seen it on a 5w40.

Do you happen to know if that was dexos1 Gen 2 or dexos2?

Do you happen to know if that was dexos1 Gen 2 or dexos2?

5w30 black bottle is a dexos 1.

I'm not sure if the newest dexos2 spec, which includes the LSPI test, has made it to the market or will any time soon. My guess is that it hasn't and won't.

If you want thicker oil, why not use the cheap and easy-to-find Mobil 1 FS (full-SAPS) 0W-40 SN A3/B4 and forget about it? dexos2 is mid-SAPS and the primary reason to use it (and ACEA C-spec) is to protect the diesel particulate filter (DPF). In the future they will also install particulate filters for gasoline direct-injection (GDI) engines but yours don't have one and therefore you probably don't need dexos2 or ACEA C-spec oil.

I really think that the recommendation of 5W-40 but not 0W-40 is a nonissue and oversight by Kia.

Repeating from another thread, as it's very good information for the OP:

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Yes, but only the latest dexos (2016, 2017?). I was saying that the current oils are probably built to previous dexos specs and they won't make the transition until the GF-6 spec, when they reformulate their blends.

https://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

According to GM, these are the 564 oils that are currently being sold with Dexos 1 Gen 2.

Ha! Now, that's useful information, thanks!

Apparently calcium is a major culprit in LSPI. Also, moly seems to reduce it. Since Mobil 1 (excluding M1 FS [full-SAPS] 0W-40 A3/B4) uses a lot of magnesium and moly, it seems to be a good choice for TGDI engines.

Oronite LSPI

I may go 4-5k OCI's.

That shouldn't be a problem with a C3 lube, all things considered.

As for the Castrol 5w-40 A3/B4, you will not find a dexos2 license on it because A3/B4 is mutually exclusive with a C3/dexos2. It won't work with dexos1, either, for that matter.

The manual says you can use 5w40 or 5w30 in the TTV6. I was thinking about going with the thicker 5W40 but not sure which brand to go with. Plan to do the first change around 1k miles. I liked the 0w40 castrol I used in my Subaru but I dont like to stray from what is in the manual.

This should explain why 5W-40 is recommended but not 0W-40!

Do you think that's "thick" oil? Think again!

5W-40 and 10W-30 would be good choices in this engine. 10W-30 would offer more timing-chain and piston-ring protection while 5w-40 offers more bearing protection. Pennzoil says they will start selling API SN Plus (dexos1 Gen 2) oils for TGDI engines starting this May. You can then buy Pennzoil Platinum SN Plus. Or perhaps give Mobil 1 a try.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
The manual says you can use 5w40 or 5w30 in the TTV6. I was thinking about going with the thicker 5W40 but not sure which brand to go with. Plan to do the first change around 1k miles. I liked the 0w40 castrol I used in my Subaru but I dont like to stray from what is in the manual.

This should explain why 5W-40 is recommended but not 0W-40!

Do you think that's "thick" oil? Think again!

5W-40 and 10W-30 would be good choices in this engine. 10W-30 would offer more timing-chain and piston-ring protection while 5w-40 offers more bearing protection. Pennzoil says they will start selling API SN Plus (dexos1 Gen 2) oils for TGDI engines starting this May. You can then buy Pennzoil Platinum SN Plus. Or perhaps give Mobil 1 a try.

Interesting I may be able to wait til May if it hits the shelves then. Sounds like this would be good to use in my Colorado engine as well.

After reading the link below it sounds like they may already be up to the task but they are just waiting to get the go ahead to add the cert. I wonder how the M1 5w30 EP compares. http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/education/know-your-oil/what-you-need-to-know-about-api-sn-plus.html
They are all 5w or 0w oils it says on the pennzoil site.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30. ACEA C3, Dexos2, BMW LL-04, and a HTHS of 3.5. All for less than $28 for a 5 quart jug at WM. It’s basically a 5W-40 in 5W-30 clothing.

Thanks guys, this has been another educational thread. I read a lot, post not so often.

And I also plan to stay with the recommended 5w-xx per the manual, until something official is released saying 0w is fine. The warranty is of great importance with me doing my own oil changes -I'll stay within their guidelines (even if it is just a "recommended oil").

My plans were to buy the GT instead, but couldn't order the mechanical LS nor the wise option, yet. The GT is an awesome car, as is the 2.0 Stinger. I'm starting my retirement with my GT2 and it's 10year/100,000mile warranty, I really want to take good care of it (other than dogging it hard often).

I learned a lot, but still dunno which oil I'll use. Am leaning toward either the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-30 or 5w-40. Thanks OP for letting me ride yer thread, lotsa good learning.

Hi Fellow Stinger owner. If going rwd the one way to get LSD with the GT atm is getting the limited edition yellow. I see you got the red though which looks great.

Originally Posted By: jhg7
Thanks guys, this has been another educational thread. I read a lot, post not so often.

And I also plan to stay with the recommended 5w-xx per the manual, until something official is released saying 0w is fine. The warranty is of great importance with me doing my own oil changes -I'll stay within their guidelines (even if it is just a "recommended oil").

My plans were to buy the GT instead, but couldn't order the mechanical LS nor the wise option, yet. The GT is an awesome car, as is the 2.0 Stinger. I'm starting my retirement with my GT2 and it's 10year/100,000mile warranty, I really want to take good care of it (other than dogging it hard often).

I learned a lot, but still dunno which oil I'll use. Am leaning toward either the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-30 or 5w-40. Thanks OP for letting me ride yer thread, lotsa good learning.

Hi Fellow Stinger owner. If going rwd the one way to get LSD with the GT atm is getting the limited edition yellow. I see you got the red though which looks great.

Thanks. Yeah, they had a Yellow available, but wouldn't come off msrp, so I walked away.

I was supposed to be looking for a car for wife, her 328i goes off lease in June. I have been driving a bunch of nice cars, but the Stingers got me. The trade they offered for my beloved Z4 and discounted the Stinger, so I'm still looking for her a car- I have one
cool.gif
(but have a payment again). The GT2 does come standard with the LS and Wise pkg, but again, more for the package.

Now back to oil: Did you nail it down to one oil? I probably will not limit myself to Walmart, but am right there with you on your desire. I read the debates on the 0w-xx oil, and I agree with the statements, but I chose my fights now. I can live with a 5w or 10w-xx oil and plan to stick with 4-5k OC. I have never really worried over a warranty before, nor have I allowed anyone to touch my oil (except on wife's bimmers, leases).

Enjoy that Yellow Stinger, I bet it turns heads. I debadged mine (like the Korean spec) so I get questions often like WTH is that?

I received 2 Mann filters yesterday, but I believe I'll break tradition and let the dealer do my first OC (since 1st is on them), but so far am not getting the best feeling from the dealer shop- they said "I think it uses 5w-30, dunno if synthetic", not the answer I hoped to hear.

It's a KIA
shocked.gif
I never thought I'd be driving a KIA, but I am, and loving it. Cheers!!!

Last edited:
Its my wife's daily but I drive it often as well. Never thought I would buy a Kia either but the car is very impressive. I picked up some M1 5w30 EP from the local Meijer and thinking about going with the wix oil filter. I was not a fan of yellow but it has really grown on me and it fits the Stinger name well.

Thanks. Yeah, they had a Yellow available, but wouldn't come off msrp, so I walked away.

I was supposed to be looking for a car for wife, her 328i goes off lease in June. I have been driving a bunch of nice cars, but the Stingers got me. The trade they offered for my beloved Z4 and discounted the Stinger, so I'm still looking for her a car- I have one
cool.gif
(but have a payment again). The GT2 does come standard with the LS and Wise pkg, but again, more for the package.

Now back to oil: Did you nail it down to one oil? I probably will not limit myself to Walmart, but am right there with you on your desire. I read the debates on the 0w-xx oil, and I agree with the statements, but I chose my fights now. I can live with a 5w or 10w-xx oil and plan to stick with 4-5k OC. I have never really worried over a warranty before, nor have I allowed anyone to touch my oil (except on wife's bimmers, leases).

Enjoy that Yellow Stinger, I bet it turns heads. I debadged mine (like the Korean spec) so I get questions often like WTH is that?

I received 2 Mann filters yesterday, but I believe I'll break tradition and let the dealer do my first OC (since 1st is on them), but so far am not getting the best feeling from the dealer shop- they said "I think it uses 5w-30, dunno if synthetic", not the answer I hoped to hear.

It's a KIA
shocked.gif
I never thought I'd be driving a KIA, but I am, and loving it. Cheers!!!

Originally Posted by Spdfrk1990
I have been using the M1 EP 5w30 with the wix filter wl10237. I plan to change it again this weekend in fact.

I have an Aurora Black 2018 Stinger GT and I have been running 5w 30 M1 EP as well. I have 9,500 miles on it thus far and did my first change at 2,500 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back