Oil for new 18 Stinger GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Spdfrk1990
I may just go with M1 5w30 EP since thats what I run in my truck. Easy to find at about every store as well.

A bit thin. If you want to go 5W-30 go with a “euro” style one spec’d as ACEA A3/B4 or C3. Pennzoil Platinum Euro L would be a great option for you. Great price and availability.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Castrol 5W-40 would probably be my last choice for a 5W-40. It’s generally regarded as sub-par around here. There are plenty of others available here in the U.S. I listed them above. Motul or Pennzoil 5W-40 would be great options.

Motul is much more expensive online. I will check and see if walmart has the pennzoil though.

Castrol 5W-40 would probably be my last choice for a 5W-40. It’s generally regarded as sub-par around here. There are plenty of others available here in the U.S. I listed them above. Motul or Pennzoil 5W-40 would be great options.

Motul is much more expensive online. I will check and see if walmart has the pennzoil though.

I've lost the reasoning behind why Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W-40 aren't being used? You can't hardly get any more certifications than those two have, they are ubiquitously available at Walmart and are dirt cheap for what you get.

It’s really not that expensive. Just have to look around. rmeuropean.com (highly recommended, always great prices) has it for $32 for a 5L jug. Free shipping for orders $65+.

A bit thin. If you want to go 5W-30 go with a “euro” style one spec’d as ACEA A3/B4 or C3. Pennzoil Platinum Euro L would be a great option for you. Great price and availability.

Or E6.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Or E6.

Yep. I’m not as familiar with those. But a good option as well.

It’s really not that expensive. Just have to look around. rmeuropean.com (highly recommended, always great prices) has it for $32 for a 5L jug. Free shipping for orders $65+.

I buy a lot from RM European but never oil. What do you get for it over Castrol 0W-40 from Walmart?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I buy a lot from RM European but never oil. What do you get for it over Castrol 0W-40 from Walmart?

Nothing. But OP doesn’t want to use a viscosity that the owners manual doesn’t specify, which I completely understand. Especially given the car.

Last edited:

Nothing. But OP doesn’t want to use a viscosity that the owners manual doesn’t specify, which I completely understand. Especially given the car.

Well his owner's manual says "recommended" right on the page, and you know as well as I do that he's not using a viscosity different than is being recommended - it's still a 40 grade. The winter rating is irrelevant and far less important than the specifications that the oil holds.

I get what you're saying but rejecting an oil because of the winter rating (as long as it is appropriate for your expected operating conditions) is about as silly a reason as you can get.

Well his owner's manual says "recommended" right on the page, and you know as well as I do that he's not using a viscosity different than is being recommended - it's still a 40 grade. The winter rating is irrelevant and far less important than the specifications that the oil holds.

I get what you're saying but rejecting an oil because of the winter rating (as long as it is appropriate for your expected operating conditions) is about as silly a reason as you can get.

Given that KIA acknowledges that 0W oils are OK for the 4 cylinder variant but not the V6, I think it’s pretty clear they don’t want people using 0W oils in the V6 for whatever reason. I agree with the OP’s choice to stick to 5W.

Possibly, or they cut and pasted the chart out of somewhere strange. Given what I've seen in some of these manuals, I wouldn't venture a guess.

Perhaps, but I wouldn’t want to chance it with this car. Engine is not cheap, and it’s under a lot of pressure. Plenty of good 5W-40 options.

No, there's nothing wrong with following the chart to the letter, realistically speaking, and there are 5w-40 options, not to mention 5w-30 options with elevated HTHS, as was already discussed.

Here is the Walmart options. Car takes over 7 quarts.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30 in quarts $6.64 a qt
Castrol Edge 5W40 5qt jug $27.47
Mobil 1 EP 5w30 5qt jug $28.68

Last edited:
Possibly, or they cut and pasted the chart out of somewhere strange. Given what I've seen in some of these manuals, I wouldn't venture a guess.

Perhaps, but I wouldn’t want to chance it with this car. Engine is not cheap, and it’s under a lot of pressure. Plenty of good 5W-40 options.

Well sure you can make decisions based on things other than technical reasons but what would you be "chancing"? In fact the chart (which again is "recommended") does mention 0W-30 as being acceptable so by the same token as long as a 40 grade is recommended the winter rating is of no consequence whatsoever.

I guess I have a hard time agreeing that the OP should go online to buy some oil for which there is no evidence it is in any way better or more suitable than one you can get at every Walmart for a very low price, and carries enough certifications to make it suitable for nearly every engine on the planet. If there was a valid technical reason for doing so I'd have no problem. But I challenge anyone to show how the other product is superior to say Castrol 0W-40, or make a concise argument how it would violate a warranty based on the owner's manual information the OP posted in his first post.

But as I always seem to end up saying, maybe that's just me.

I would argue (this is BITOG after all) that a 0W-40 rating of the synthetic oil (of whatever brand but specifically Castrol Edge) is INCLUSIVE of the performance of that same brand's 5W-40 oil and is in fact better at low temperature situations.

Can we just drop the whole 0w thing? I am not giving them any reason to come back at me for possible engine trouble. I also did not design the engine and for some reason they decided 0w should not be used in the V6. Hyundai does make the engine as well after all.

So any thoughts on my Walmart options?

Can we just drop the whole 0w thing? I am not giving them any reason to come back at me for possible engine trouble. I also did not design the engine and for some reason they decided 0w should not be used in the V6. Hyundai does make the engine as well after all.
So any thoughts on my Walmart options?

I would go with the EP to minimize LSPI concerns after having my present DIT engine recalled for that issue, but I could also see an argument for using a higher HTHS 5W40 for your application. You can also get a rebate right now for the EP. Guess I am more LSPI-OCD than HTHS-OCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back