Never using a 40wt oil again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drained the 0w40 oil and replaced with a 5w40

Woahh my car now revs and accelerates so lively. The 40wt slugs the engine and surely saps power. Didn't think the oil could make so much difference.

The manual recomends both 5w30 and 5w40
I used 0w40 which is meant to be the best out there..

You realize that the the two oils you used are in the same viscosity range when warm, no difference. And the 0w40 is probably in the same range as the 5w40 unless its below 0 f.

I once used 70wt in a car with a crack or hole in the block that wouldn't hold water. If it was below 60F, it wouldn't crank fast enough to start. Can't imagine 40wt would be any problem as long as it was above freezing temperatures.

15w40 works quite nicely in my pickup in unaided cold starts all the way down to -10/-15f FWIW.

Originally Posted by yowps3

Woahh my car now revs and accelerates so lively. The 40wt slugs the engine and surely saps power. Didn't think the oil could make so much difference.

With such seat of the pants increase I can only imagine that switching to a much thinner oil will increase power out put possibly 10x that of what it was rated at the factory spec

Originally Posted by BigShug681
With such seat of the pants increase I can only imagine that switching to a much thinner oil will increase power out put possibly 10x that of what it was rated at the factory spec
There is a very noticable increase in response and revs with 5w30.
The 0w40 made the car feel heavy and unresponsive.

I have tried 5w 40 oils in engines in the past. 2001 ford escape v-6. No fuel mileage difference, no difference in how it drives. But in a low output engine, i could understand a difference. I've just never been able to tell.

I have 30wt in my mazda with calls for 0w20. I can't seen any fuel mileage or change in how it runs.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
What's the engine your talking about ??

Gamma 1.6 T-gdi
[Linked Image]

Mu

Last edited:
If 5W-30 makes that much difference in how the engine performs, then I see no reason to use anything else.
Buy whatever is readily available that meets the specs for your engine and change it on a regular schedule and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by yowps3

Are we supposed to guess what brand you used?

Wait - you never mentioned the vehicle make/model either .... concerning the owners manual wording you mentioned.
Is this another secret?

Last edited:
oil viscosity should be selected with your ambient temps in your area. yes oils that have a thinner running viscosity will make more power unless said thinner oil causes more consumption + IMO forget any xx-20 oils unless in very cold winter temps. todays mostly fake synthetics flow better overall as well as protect better in the heat, + for extremes theres real synthetic oils at a much higher cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back