Oil for an 06 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some hard research for 4.0L I6 so bottem line, Mobil 1 HM 10w30 is what I am running til engine blow up, then rebuild it and run same oil again.

"API SH= NO GOOD. API SL=GOOD. API SM=MAY BE GOOD. ACEA A1/A2= GREAT. ACEA A3=BEST-EXCELLENT. ACEA A5=GREAT "

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 High Mileage oils meet or exceed the following industry specifications:
10W-30
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

Mobil 1 Extended Performance meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
10W-30
ACEA A1,B1,A5,B5

Last edited:
I owned an '90 YJ new with a 258 w/ a Weber Carb. I drove it for sixteen years and did the PM myself. It was my daily driver & trail mule. When I sold it in '06 to buy this LJ it had 225,527 on the ticker, I used nothing but Castrol GTX 10W-30, and it's still running around town today 'cause I just saw it! These motors will last quite a while if you take care of them, that's for sure!

The 4.0 is based off the AMC 258, but obviously Chrysler made the engines from 87 thru their demise in 2006. They really will run and survive on just about anything. They dont like to be revved too High for too long, but you can lug em for ever.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
The 4.0 is based off the AMC 258, but obviously Chrysler made the engines from 87 thru their demise in 2006. They really will run and survive on just about anything. They dont like to be revved too High for too long, but you can lug em for ever.

x2. The 4.0 will survive on just about any oil. Running a good filter is important. As a member of an off-road forum I've heard stories about these engines running through some tough situations. One guy even ran his upside down when his jeep rolled, and another guy said his fired right up after being hydrolocked. I've seen guys bounce them off the rev limiter all day and they still run great. The one thing that will kill a 4.0 is lack of maintenance, especially with the cooling system. My buddy owns a shop and has seen a few 4.0s come in that have been badly overheated. Apparently some people think the "check gauges" light and the temp being in the red zone means they can drive a few more miles.
33.gif

Jeepman, do you know of using a Oversized filter for your 4.0? My favorite is NAPAs 21515 ProSelect, as its cheaper than a NAPA Gold, and Identical filter inside, outside different paint and sticker. FRAM PH8, Mobil 1 M1-301, WIX 1515, Purolator 30001 are all oversize oil filters with same threads and inportant dimensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back