After 1,800 miles my motor oil is black (gasoline engine)

My 2006 Jeeps wrangler with the 4.0 I6 gas engine has black motor oil after 1,800 miles. It’s black black like diesel oil. Its oriellys 10w-30 synthetic high mileage.

The oil level isn’t rising on the dipstick but it’s black now. Last time I checked it was after a few miles when I changed the oil in it. I think it’s burning rich and maybe soot loading the oil but idk. I don’t rly want to send in a sample quite yet.

It was changed around 3 months ago. I drive and operate in some pretty dusty conditions.
Never wait 1800 miles to check your oil. Pretty expensive surprises may occur in-between.
Mine is never black-black after 3k and that's using several name brand oils over the past 10 years. It seldom gets beyond amber brown after 1k.

The last time I saw nasty oil doing a 3k oil change was when I used Castrol Edge black bottle. Never again. But the Castrol gold jug EP version was much-much better in engine sound + used oil looks. It held together well and recommended.

Since he has owned it for a long time I would suspect the oil type/brand. Not the PCV system….
My .02

Back