Oil for a 03 F250 7.3 Liter Power Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luchsea , You have to have a sense of humor , My wife has a 2002 Power Stroke Ford, I don't understand how people get so silly about their trucks. I do like the Cummins better .That was my choice of engine when I did the owner operater thing for a while. Any major brand ci 4 oil will be fine ,they are incredable oils,the synthetics will be only better in the cold, although I think about using synthetic all of the time,in the diesel because of its cleanliness.

I have an acquaintance that leases a Ford Van to FedEx. His first van, with PSD, was sold at 300k. The only problem he had was a faulty sending unit in the fuel tank. His second van, with PSD, now has about 150K, no problems.

He uses Rotella 15W40 and whatever filters the oil change guy has.Changes at 5k, just like the manual says for light duty.

Understand, the mileage is primarily highway miles.

I've had 4 Ford diesels, 3 PSD. I used Motocraft, which is a very slick oil. If you get it on your hands, you can't hold anything. I didn't put enough miles on them to make a report as I trade frequently. The last was a '02 and by then Wally world was selling the Motocraft for 1.38/qt.

I would suggest use an approved oil that has reasonable cost and change it according to the manual.

I think the road salt issue will be more a problem than finding a cost-effective engine oil over the 10 year period.

I now use Delo in a Cummins Dodge. Also, I tried the Rotella in the first Ford in NC and didn't like the winter performance. At that time ('93) Rotella was thick in cold weather, for cold starts. The guy at the oil dist. where I went called it "viscous". That's why I switched to Motorcraft as it seemed to do better with cold starts.

Incidentally, the Ford dealer, Ken Wilson Ford in Canton, NC used Rotella in the PSD service but changed to Motorcraft in about '94.

Long time ago. You asked about who makes Motorcraft. I read an article someplace but forget the name of the refiners. Same guys that make Kendall and some other brands.

[ September 01, 2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: kondor ]

Luchsea

For typical data check out the exxonmobil.com for the Delvac oils and Chevron.com for the Delo oils.

I use Schaeffer's Supreme 15w40 in the following applications 97 Saturn SL-1, 98 F-150 4.2L V-6, 03 VW Turbo Direct Inject diesel engine, John Deere 790 diesel tractor, ??? Massey 135 Perkins powered gas tractor, Suzuki 4 cycle outboard engine. At the next change I'm switching to Schaeffer's 10w-30 in the F-150 so I can compare the wear numbers and mileage between the two grades of oil.

I have around 1.5 years with Schaeffers now with excellent results.

quote:

Originally posted by kondor:

You asked about who makes Motorcraft. I read an article someplace but forget the name of the refiners. Same guys that make Kendall and some other brands.

ConocoPhillips Corp. makes Kendall oil, as well as 76, Conoco, & Phillips. It's been reported that Conoco makes Motorcraft 5W-20, probably the whole Motorcraft oil line.

Ken

Yep, Motorcraft Oil is produced by Conoco, now the ConocoPhillips Conglomerate. They are a half partner in the Excel Paralubes plant in Louisiana. The other partner was Pennzoil/Quaker State, but that has been sold to Flint Hills Resources after Pennzoil was acquired by Shell.

quote:

Originally posted by Luchsea:

quote:

Originally posted by kondor:
I have an acquaintance that leases a Ford Van to FedEx. His first van, with PSD, was sold at 300k. The only problem he had was a faulty sending unit in the fuel tank. His second van, with PSD, now has about 150K, no problems.

Just wanted to thank you guys for the input and in sight into my questions. I think I have beat the horse long enough! I had to make a choice for my first oil change and went with the Delo 400 and a Motorcraft 1995. I am looking into the Schaeffers Oil and a by-pass oil filtration system. Another helpful person told me to look into DA Lubes here in Indy and will do so. I have a case of Mobil 1 Oil filters that I'll be using unless I hear otherwise from some of you sages. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back