Oil for 92 F-150 302 134k & Limited Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil & interval do you all suggest for this truck? Background below. I don't mind the cost of synthetic oil and low use changes...

I have a 1992 F-150 w/ the 302 and 134k on the clock. It spends time as a ranch truck and probably doesn't run more than 3,000 per year. It was my grandfathers truck and I believe he had the oil changed w/ Havoline 10w30 an a regular basis.

I have had it a year now and have put about 5,000 miles on it running Mobil 1 10W30 Synthetic, Mobil 1 10W30 7500 and recently switched to Pennzoil HM 10W30 as it has a rear main seal leak. I have ordered Auto-RX to try, but it will take along time to hit the mileage recommendations for two clean/rinse cycles. The truck did burn a bit of the M1 Synthetic oil at first, but was also run hard towing a trailer. It has not burned any since that time. The results below are from the M1 SS 10w30 UOA - approx. 3000 miles on oil.

AL - 2
CH - 1
Iron - 16
Copper 6
Lead - 14
Tin - 1
Moly 65
Nickle - Potassium - 0
Boron - 104
Silicon - 20
Sodium - 5
Mag - 32
Phos - 669
Zinc - 764
Barium - 0

SUS Vis - 60.5
Flashpoint - 385
Fuel - Ins - .3

Your truck is used in severe service operation so use synthetic oil OR run short(4000 miles) OC intervals.

In the oil report above, lead and silicone are high so try to find a leak in the air intake/filter box, or buy a new one if it's warped or deformed.

I did find the intake plumbing "off", but that was on the intake side of the filter. Everything seems tight from the outlet side of the filter to the throttle body. There is some blow-by produced, and I have replaced that filter, but it again is on the intake side of the air filter. I'll double check everything though. The truck does sit at the ranch and rarely sees pavement... I was suprised the silicon was as low as it was.

It will probably take 1 1/2 years to run thgough both cycles of AutoRX, which I plan to do. Do you think the Pennzoil 10W30 High Mileage oil would be suitable for this?

I really like A HDEO 10W-30 for vehicles that sit alot.

HDEO = Diesel Oil
Shell Rotella, Chevon Delo, Delvac 1300, Motorcraft Diesel, Castrol Diesel (Rx Super).

High Milage oil is not recommended for the autorx treatments just use any standard dino oil during the treatment and then switch to watever you like to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back