Oil for 248k mile Geo Prizm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Geo Prizm with 248k miles on it. It is a Toyota Corolla for those who may not know. It has the Toyota 4AFE engine in it. It does not smoke, etc. There is oil loss, but I believe that is from the crank seal which will be fixed when the timing belt gets replaced.
The last 100k miles that my friend had it for he ran Pennzoil 10w-30 in it with a Pennzoil filter (the 10 minute oil lube place in town).
I'm a maintenance guy when it comes to cars, and I do my own maintenance.

What oil do you guys recommend? A high mileage oil? I would like something readily available in a 5 quart jug, etc.

What weight?

Any additives to clean this engine out? I pulled the valve cover and it was the normal light brown/golden varnish on everything.

Thanks everyone! I have a goal in mind for this engine to reach 400k and still run ok.

Any oil... That engine got its owners its monies worth IMO! High Mileage might help, but I think a new engine is what it needs...

Drive and keep topping up with the cheapest oil you can find that is SM rated.

Way to go!
thumbsup2.gif

I would say just buy whatever's on sale, but if you want to just stick with one brand, you can't go wrong with Pennzoil 5W-30 or 10W-30 with a Purolator PureONE oil filter. If replacing that seal doesn't cure the consumption, consider switching to a high mileage oil such as Valvoline MaxLife.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Any oil... That engine got its owners its monies worth IMO! High Mileage might help, but I think a new engine is what it needs...

Drive and keep topping up with the cheapest oil you can find that is SM rated.

Way to go!
thumbsup2.gif

The car runs very, very good. Its a strong little motor, and for the $500 I paid for it, I can leave the nice car in the garage for the weekends.

Oh nothing wrong with it I just didn't want to suggest that an oil choice would fix a worn engine. Just because it is worn doesn't mean it won't keep going for a long time with some TLC and with you topping up the oil, but it won't magically clear its addiction to oil by switching to HM oil is all I was trying to say.

I know you can't kill those engines.
wink.gif

Castrol High Mileage.
Valvoline High Mileage
GTX Castrol
Valvoline
Mobil High Mileage or Clean 5000
I would use a High Mileage Like Castrol

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Oh nothing wrong with it I just didn't want to suggest that an oil choice would fix a worn engine. Just because it is worn doesn't mean it won't keep going for a long time with some TLC and with you topping up the oil, but it won't magically clear its addiction to oil by switching to HM oil is all I was trying to say.

I know you can't kill those engines.
wink.gif

I understand.

I also posted in the ATF section about changing the ATF. It appears to be the original. I was thinking since it has a drain plug, I would just do a dump and refill. I'm on the fence about it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back