Oil for 1987 Jaguar 5.3L V12

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
I’ll admit that I’m not an expert on these. What I do know, is I just recently got an ‘87 XJ-S with the 5.3L HE V12 and it has a jiffy lube sticker in the windshield calling for 5W-30 conventional and that is not even close to what it needs.

If somebody with some experience with these engines could chime in, I’d appreciate it. If I had to guess at it, I’d be going with a 15W-40 or a 20W-50 but I’m unsure what specs or properties to look out for.

It's 20W-50 traditionally over here for the most part. With today's oils there really should be options of course, the "need" stems from a sixties perspective. Our '87 XJ never saw anything but 20W-50. It's gone now, otherwise I'd downgrade, but for Florida wil be okay anyway.

Not regarding oils, but as new to them in general: With this car you should look out for Kirby Palm's book download, XJS-help-in-a-book, or so. That's been an interesting link even with the XJ then. I think that's where I heard about the HE centrifugal advance oil first. Just a drop, but could be vital.

Last edited:
Many British car of that era, when in good condition without too many leaks (haha) were calling for 10W30 or 10W40, with some exceptions like the Mini and its shared gearbox.
I have no idea about Jaguar and this V12 engine (tried to source a manual online but was mostly unsuccessful), I'd say a 15W50/20W50 look good for Florida. M1 15W50 would probably get my vote.

Looks like you can get 20w50 Castrol GTX high mileage for $17 for 5qts at Amazon or Wallyworld, or you can get individual quarts of Valvoline MAxlife 20w50 at Napa for $5.

Looks like you can get 20w50 Castrol GTX high mileage for $17 for 5qts at Amazon or Wallyworld, or you can get individual quarts of Valvoline MAxlife 20w50 at Napa for $5.

I noticed this this morning at wal mart. I have like 50 gallons of GTX 20w50 from Autozone making it $6/5quart jug last winter

Modern API SN 20w50 has ZDDP @around 700/800ppm....put this into "equation" if its engine is of those which needs higher amounts of ZDDP!

Modern API SN 20w50 has ZDDP @around 700/800ppm....put this into "equation" if its engine is of those which needs higher amounts of ZDDP!
If it does need that then what, mix a 5qt jug of Valvoline VR1 SAE50 with 5qts of maxlife 20w50, I think these things hold about 10qts.

I don't have a recommendation specific to OP, but since it has been raised by others, if you're looking for a gasoline, conventional 20w50 with ZDDP above ~800 ppm for street driving, you choices in the US appear to be:

Kendall GT-1 Competition Motor Oil with LiquiTek, API SP, Zinc 0.120, Phosphorus, 0.109, wt %

Valvoline VR1 racing oil, 'recommended' for street use if no cat. converter, Zinc 1400 ppm, Phosphorous 1300 ppm

If you want to use synthetic or a syn blend, then for a 20w50 with higher zddp you may have more options with which I am less familiar, but one of them would be Penngrade

Thanks everyone. Some good info here.

As a couple of you mentioned, Castrol GTX 20W-50 HM looks like a good option. This engine does have flat tappets, so I will be needing something with increased levels of ZDDP. Maybe I should have led with that. I'd shoot for 1200-1400 ppm, using regular Castrol I could add something like Rislone and do a couple UOAs early on to determine how much to add.

Then again, I was at Rural King today and they had cases of Valvoline VR1 20W-50 going for $5/quart.

This car does have cats but if it's not burning too much oil (yeah, right!) then it probably wouldn't be an issue.

I have certain personal objections to Citgo but I will point out the Mystik JT-8 SHD 15W-50 HDEO is a readily available Synthetic Blend at Tractor Supply, Blaine's Fleet & Farm or Truck Pro. It is also an option.

Back