oil filter rec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an oil change coming up in Nov. on my 2004 vibe. I thought I'd try something different for a change from my uasual pp 5-30 and Pureone filter oil change to QSUD 5-30 and maybe a Fram Extended Guard for the filter. I do about 6000 miles/6 month oil changes. Next oci won't be due until May 2012. The wife drives 5 miles one way to work and I drive 14 miles one way to work on a hilly windy road. Duty is split with a second car. Depends which is last in the driveway. She leaves for work first and I get home last. Think I'd be okay or stay with Pureone?

Thanks!

Why switch from PP, its one of the best. And the 5 QT jug at Walymart is about the best value available for a synthetic oil. If you wanted to try different filters go up in quality as in Bosch D+ or Mobil 1 or Amsoil Ea.

Hello, this is my first post.
I suggest Toyota 90915-10003 or 10004 filters.
I am using 10003 for my Corolla now. As for oil it is up to you, you can try Ultra 5w-30 or castrol 0w-30.

Quaker State synthetic and Pure One sound fine with me. Whypay a few dollars more for the Extended Guard? You are in good hands already with Purolator.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
I am using 10003 for my Corolla now. As for oil it is up to you, you can try Ultra 5w-30 or castrol 0w-30.

The Toyota filter does not look good at all in this test. If this is any indication of Toyota filters, I would avoid them.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: kozanoglu

The Toyota filter does not look good at all in this test. If this is any indication of Toyota filters, I would avoid them.

I think it is an indication of Toyota OEM filters, except for the TRD filter, or the Japan built one that comes on the car.
The media looks pretty darn porous compared to most (under the microscope), and the filtration in my informal tests with talc/oil never compared well with others.

I will use the 98% TRD filter (built by Champion Labs, apparently) but I will not use the ordinary 90915-YZZD1 filters my dealer sells for this reason.

51% @ 20 microns on the Toyota filter ... hard to believe.
crazy.gif
Maybe the super glue at the end of the pleats wasn't good on that one.

Not an “official” test, but for what it’s worth: Left to right, Ecore, Mobil 1 Ext. Perf. Wix, Toyota OEM

LtoRecoreM1WixDenso.jpg

Purolator Pure One is a good choice too especially at that price. Regular Toyota filters are good, I do not think they are special at the price.Seeing the graph and photos above made me worried. Mobil 1 filters are a little pricey for me.Only if they are on oil+filter sales I buy them. Wix filters are shorter than Toyota filters, but they look like tanks.

Vibe has a Toyota engine, that made me think about suggesting Toyota filters.

Thank you Donald.
smile.gif

I think I'm going to stick with my PP and a Pureone for my Vibe. I'll try the QSUD and a Fram xguard on my other car-2001 Grand am,2.4quad.

Thanks for the replies.
River_rat, I read the thread with your filter tests a while back.
very interesting. thanks!

I don't know about the accuracy/reliability of the Amsoil testing/bar graph results, but it's not very flattering to the the Fram made Honda oem A-02 and the no end cap Toyota/Denso filter.

However, as mentioned above, it does tend to confirm river_rat's testing showing that type (no endcap) filter to favor flow (obviously), but not be very good when it comes to filtration efficiency. Perhaps the an answer to a recent point about why folks care about end cap design/composition.

It does seem to lend credence to the validity of r_r's test results.

As for the Fram made Honda A-02, based on appearance, it's long been thought to be similar in efficiency to a Tough Guard which is rated at 99% @ >20 microns. Based on these Ams result, either that was a false assumption, or the > 20 microns is significantly greater than 20um.

I would believe that the Amsoil test is very accurate. They probably hired an outside company to do the actual testing. There seems to be a big difference between the Honda & Toyota filters and the others. This to me says one cannot just assume, "Oh its an OEM filter so it must be a good filter". As a side questions I wonder what kind of specs Honda and Toyota have for these filters. Maybe the spec just states some sizes (diameter, thread) and bypass pressure, and does not get into efficiency.

Thanks sayjac and Neptune.
I certainly had "outliers" here and there, but after all the repeat testing, and marking down different filters "pole position" so to speak, I have yet to find any discrepancy in approximate relative, average filtration, to the relative official test numbers. (Maybe + or - 2%...or even 1% sometimes depending on filter efficiency?) Many of the ISO (or whatever test) numbers I found out later because they hadn't been published yet--or I could not find them back in 2009.
I see the test numbers now, they make sense to me according to my informal (but carefully done) examinations.

All I set out to do was to get some indication of relative media quality, under the same conditions, for filters that there was little or no info on, so I could pick filters for my own use. But since people seemed interesed, I posted the whole messy process here. I make no guarantees about it, but still think it can be useful.
coffee2.gif

That looks like the elusive factory new equipment filter that most of us can never find again.
What's the part number, I forgot?

Quote:
I would believe that the Amsoil test is very accurate. They probably hired an outside company to do the actual testing. There seems to be a big difference between the Honda & Toyota filters and the others. This to me says one cannot just assume, "Oh its an OEM filter so it must be a good filter". As a side questions I wonder what kind of specs Honda and Toyota have for these filters. Maybe the spec just states some sizes (diameter, thread) and bypass pressure, and does not get into efficiency.

Without trying to question the test, I think it's only natural to look at it critically without knowing who did the test, ie. was it an independent lab? Not doubting the Amsoil filter results as this is the published efficiency they advertise. No doubt it's a great filter, and I'm not saying otherwise here.

The other filter results are likely accurate too, giving the iso test# and it is relatively recent. That plus the fact that three of the other OEM's showed comparatively good results to the Amsoil filter.

As for the OEM's giving spec's regarding efficiency, generally that information is proprietary, not published. Hard to find information regarding efficiency of OEM's. Based on these results though it seems the no end cap design isn't very efficient, as said, just as r_r's tests also showed here on Bitog.

And I am curious whether the Fram Honda A-02 is the same as the Tough Guard as thought, and that the TG's99% @ >20um means much greater than twenty microns? Or, the Honda A-02 media is very different and just not very efficient? Does give me some satisfaction for using a P1 than either Honda oem.

OTOH, the three other oems showed decent results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back