oil filter rec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: river_rat
That looks like the elusive factory new equipment filter that most of us can never find again.
What's the part number, I forgot?

Yep ... looks like the "foamy" element through the base hole.

HTSS_TR, it is the standard Toyota filter but came in a Genuine GM box with GM part numbers also. River_Rat, part number 90915-10003 is printed on the filter itself. GM part number is 88971573.

For our other vehicle I use 90915-20004 which is longer than the suggested filter size.Before that I was using NPN 902915-YZZG1 fitlers. Actually NPN filter's canister is even stronger and thicker than this Toyota filter. It is cheaper also.

Some dealerships can order these Toyota filters from Japan if you insist. And the price is less than 10 dollars a filter.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Hello, this is my first post.
I suggest Toyota 90915-10003 or 10004 filters.
I am using 10003 for my Corolla now. As for oil it is up to you, you can try Ultra 5w-30 or castrol 0w-30.

Well that was a doozey of a first post:
GC is way too thick for winters in PA, and Toyota oil filter recommendation----well, you know how that turned out

Welcome to the forum

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would believe that the Amsoil test is very accurate. They probably hired an outside company to do the actual testing. There seems to be a big difference between the Honda & Toyota filters and the others. This to me says one cannot just assume, "Oh its an OEM filter so it must be a good filter". As a side questions I wonder what kind of specs Honda and Toyota have for these filters. Maybe the spec just states some sizes (diameter, thread) and bypass pressure, and does not get into efficiency.

Remember the Honda filters are built to Honda's specifications, not the filter manufacturer's specs-same with Chryco GM and Ford

Originally Posted By: steve20
Remember the Honda filters are built to Honda's specifications, not the filter manufacturer's specs-same with Chryco GM and Ford

That is true, and makes me wonder why Toyota, for example, doesn't consider a high efficiency filter with a thread-end bypass necessary. Ford filters are reasonably efficient, and much more so, apparently, than Honda and Toyota OEMs.

Is it that they just don't care about any extra wear that might be caused by using a lower grade oil filter? Make you come buy a new car a little sooner? Seems hard to believe since they stake
their reputation, or try to, on quality and durability. A spokeman for Toyota recently told the press that current Toyota products were built for 300,000 miles.

So is Ford being too cautious? Do high end filter just not matter much? I am using so called "better" filters on my Toyota. Is the OEM just as good or better in the long run? I am taking it on faith and common sense that the filters I use are at least as good...but do they matter?

Honestly, I wish I knew.

Wondering that as well....

Maybe the folks that prefer flow over efficiency are on to something. Surfing around the other night I did find some statements to back that up. Although some was marketing and most was referring to HD truck apps there was one from a reputable member here posted to another board that agreed with this as well.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Hello, this is my first post.
I suggest Toyota 90915-10003 or 10004 filters.
I am using 10003 for my Corolla now. As for oil it is up to you, you can try Ultra 5w-30 or castrol 0w-30.

Well that was a doozey of a first post:
GC is way too thick for winters in PA, and Toyota oil filter recommendation----well, you know how that turned out

Welcome to the forum

Thanks.
Might be too thick, I do not know.I am using it in Milwaukee which is not any warmer than PA.
Toyota oil filter recommendation is still on the money.Best filter in my book.Can't find it? I have it.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Wondering that as well....

Maybe the folks that prefer flow over efficiency are on to something. Surfing around the other night I did find some statements to back that up. Although some was marketing and most was referring to HD truck apps there was one from a reputable member here posted to another board that agreed with this as well.

Thing is, with a positive displacement oil pump (which is probably used in every vehicle on the road), the oil flow going through the filter and engine will be the same unless the oil pump hits its max pressure relief point.

It would take a very restrictive oil filter to cause the oil pump to operate at it's max pressure point all the time. In most cases, the oil pump will go into pressure relief when the oil is cold and the engine RPM is up some, or possibly when the oil is hot and the engine is close to redline RPM if the oil pump is a high volume unit.

In normal driving conditions, all oil filters are going to allow the same oil flow to the engine. There is no such thing as "a better flowing oil filter" unless the engine's oil pump is in pressure relief.

Quote:

I don't think anyone has said otherwise in this thread. However, since Honda like most of the oem's doesn't release it's filter efficiencies, it's long been thought, that based on the similarity of it's constuction to the Tough Guard, that the Fram made A-02 had a similar efficiency.

As I pointed out, based on this Ams testing, either the Honda A-02 media in nothing like the TG's 99% rating OR, it's somewhat vague ">20 microns" is significantly greater than 20um. In either case, assuming these results are accurate, Honda A-02 and Toyota/Denso are not very efficient. And since I've never found oil flow to be an issue with any filter, makes me glad I've never chased either. Especially when good aftermarkets with good efficiency are readily available for the same or less money.

Originally Posted By: Neptune
I've got an oil change coming up in Nov. on my 2004 vibe. I thought I'd try something different for a change from my uasual pp 5-30 and Pureone filter oil change to QSUD 5-30 and maybe a Fram Extended Guard for the filter. I do about 6000 miles/6 month oil changes. Next oci won't be due until May 2012. The wife drives 5 miles one way to work and I drive 14 miles one way to work on a hilly windy road. Duty is split with a second car. Depends which is last in the driveway. She leaves for work first and I get home last. Think I'd be okay or stay with Pureone?

Thanks!

I don't think it matters much. I only recommend you don't overtighten it, and check for oil leaks after the oil change/filter change. I did neither, broke the filter's rubber seal and couldn't figure out why my car was smoking--i.e., this almost turned into a disaster. So, a word of caution to all readers.

Originally Posted By: cp3
The oil going through the filter would be the same but a more restrictive media would cause the filter to bypass more often, would it not?

That is true. Also, keep in mind that a more restrictive filter does cause the oil pump's outlet pressure to run a little higher in order to push the same volume through the same restriction.

Generally, the engine's oil circuit is about 15 times more restrictive than an oil filter to flow ... so the filter is virtually invisible to the oil pump in terms of creating flow restriction for the oil pump to overcome. So even if a bad flowing oil filter caused say 5 psi more resistance than a free flowing filter, the oil pump would run 5 psi closer to it's max pressure relief point, but not necessary hit the max pressure point

I agree with Zee0Six about the pressure and flow stuff.

I wish I could see a list of very high mileage cars with what they used for oil and filters. Preferably, some with one type oil and filters always used--but I think of all these cars out there, we would find that most of them used whatever the cheap lube place they were closest to was using at the time.

Originally Posted By: Donald
kozanoglu - welcome to BITOG where people often say "Wife told me if I did not stop looking at BITOG she would leave me. I am going to miss her!"

Divorced her back k in '12. Bitog played a part, seriously.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back