Oil choice for 2 Ecoboosts

I'm only have experience with the gen1 3.5 but mine has seen a diet of Castrol 0w40 with one or 2 hdeo 15w40 runs thrown in.

It currently has 120k and every uoa I have done is posted here if you are interested. I usually run between 8-12k on uoa fwiw.

For the first 80k or so the truck was a very hard worker, towing heavy loads, since it has been mostly a GG and Hay retriever for the horses.
I am happy with how the oil and truck performed.

My son has a 2.7 now and is running Havoline. I also used the Havoline in the 2.3 ecoboost my daughter drives with good results.

I’ve always liked Amsoil’s SS but not in my 2019 3.5 Ecoboost. Right now I have Redline 5w30 in it and hopefully it’ll prove to be better at staying in grade. Won’t know till spring.

I’ve always liked Amsoil’s SS but not in my 2019 3.5 Ecoboost. Right now I have Redline 5w30 in it and hopefully it’ll prove to be better at staying in grade. Won’t know till spring.
Just wondering why you don't like it ? My son has been thinking of going with that in his 3.5 EB.

It's strange how I ask about oil, but for some it turns into a question of how many pickups I need. Let's not read into it too far, as I'm not going to give anyone every personal detail to prove I need one or two. Maybe you don't need a pickup. Maybe you do. But that doesn't mean I don't need two of them. Heck, I actually WANT a 3rd one.

Also, a "wants vs needs" debate isn't a fun one. Lots of hypocrisy in it. So let's stay away from those debates.

So, now that that is out of the way, let's stick to the topic at hand.
Having at least one pick em up truck in the garage is always a plus

I'll throw Valvoline Advanced Synthetic into this mix. Very pleased with the way VAS 5w30 has quieted my Kia Soul's 2.0.

Motorcraft semi/syn in my 2.7 on a 7500 oci based on analysis. Currently at 68,000 mles. My friend Pat has probably the highest mileage 2.7 on the planet (now over 400,000) and has used nothing but Motorcraft semi/syn when the dash says to change it (every 10,000 miles) and the engine runs great. I believe this tends to get way overthought.........

Drops out of grade with fuel dilution. That’s been my experience with it in my 2019 F150.
So the fuel dilution with the 3.5 is a normal issue ? , wasn't aware of that. We were talking on him going with extended OCI's.

In our Ecoboost 1.6 we've used Schaeffer's 9000 5w20 for the last 4 years or so with no issues.
Have you ever done an oil analysis? I have Schaeffer 9003D 5w30 ready to go in my 2.0 ecoboost next service in about 300 miles. It’s been easy on oil so far and this will be the 40,000 mile service. What mileage are you running it to?

Motorcraft semi/syn in my 2.7 on a 7500 oci based on analysis. Currently at 68,000 mles. My friend Pat has probably the highest mileage 2.7 on the planet (now over 400,000) and has used nothing but Motorcraft semi/syn when the dash says to change it (every 10,000 miles) and the engine runs great. I believe this tends to get way overthought.........
That is a great engine in a great truck. My thoughts on this though are that this has to be all highway miles. With this usage you could run anything rated appropriately for 10k and be fine. Stop and go and idling could be a different story on this same truck.

Have you ever done an oil analysis? I have Schaeffer 9003D 5w30 ready to go in my 2.0 ecoboost next service in about 300 miles. It’s been easy on oil so far and this will be the 40,000 mile service. What mileage are you running it to?

I've never been really impressed with oil analysis personally. The OLM says to change the oil @around 4000 miles so I just change it around 5000 miles. Engine uses no oil,etc.

So I have 2 Ecoboost F150s. One is my daily driver and the other is my wife's.

My truck is a 2019 2.7L with about 7500 miles on it. I drive 3 miles each way to work 5 days a week with a highway run of about an hour mixed in once a week. I did my first oil change at 1000 miles, second at 4000, and third at 7000. Besides the factory fill, it's had Castrol Magnatec 5w-30.

My wife's truck is a 2015 3.5L with about 58k miles on it. Her daily commute is 2 miles to work, 2 miles home at lunch, 2 miles back to work, then 2 miles home again. We do a 1-2 hour highway run every weekend. We bought it from a Ford dealer at 55k and dumped the MC blend at 57k and I switched it over to Magnatec as well.

Our commutes are probably the worst on oil, so I plan to change it every 3-5 months. Should I stick with the Magnatec or switch to a much cheaper Supertech or Kirkland since the intervals are so short?
I've run nothing but Magnatec for years. I'm very happy with it.

Back