Oil choice for 2 Ecoboosts

HTO-06 was developed by Honda because they had found that TEOST was not a good test because it only tested new oil. When you introduce combustion byproducts into the oil, many oils failed miserably at preventing deposits. Honda R&D at that time found only Mobil 1 passed it, by a large margin, while others did not.

This is why I stopped paying attention to Amsoil's TEOST marketing material around that time. Joe 90 Guy also said it's a useless test. Nice bench test for marketing I suppose. But real world validity it falls short.

The GM turbo test is now the standard I believe.

Shell makes great oils but if you didn't know anything about motor oil you'd think Platinum is just made of Gas to Liquid base oils lol.

One of the members received an email from SOPUS when asking about QSUD vs Platinum in which they stated the couldn't guarantee QSUD was 100% GTL Base. It sure sounded like they at least wanted people to think Platinum used 100% GTL Base.

Saw it today too...
All Pennzoil is showing with API SP / GF-6 now at the local WMart. As you pointed out, PP 5W-30 does have HTO-06 still on the bottle...

20200911_134936.jpg

This is the oil i've settled on for the Passat. I won't be going 10k miles between OCI and wanted something slightly thicker since this car idles every morning and afternoon while dropping off and picking up my son from daycare plus 99.9% short tripped city driving. I'm not concerned with warranty issues due to this oil being used.

And any of these oils would be great in the OP's F-150's with EcoBoost.

Last edited:
Saw it today too...
All Pennzoil is showing with API SP / GF-6 now at the local WMart. As you pointed out, PP 5W-30 does have HTO-06 still on the bottle...

View attachment 29102

This is the oil i've settled on for the Passat. I won't be going 10k miles between OCI and wanted something slightly thicker since this car idles every morning and afternoon while dropping off and picking up my son from daycare plus 99.9% short tripped city driving. I'm not concerned with warranty issues due to this oil being used.

It should perform excellently in your VW. I chose it for my Jeep Cherokee because of the HTO-06 and MS-13340 specs, which is the material standard that FCA recommends for the 2.0L turbo.

It should perform excellently in your VW. I chose it for my Jeep Cherokee because of the HTO-06 and MS-13340 specs, which is the material standard that FCA recommends for the 2.0L turbo.

Or sticking with a major 0W-20. After reading an article discussing the changes to this engine in search of more efficiency, one being it runs very cool (205f max on a cross Florida run), it might keep me in the 20s.

Last edited:
Saw it today too...

View attachment 29102

Wemay: does the jug say “carbon neutral” on the front? All the new PP jugs at my 3 Wal Marts day that ☺️🇺🇸👍

Saw it today too...

View attachment 29102

You say you wanted something slightly thicker but isn't PP 5w30 on the thin side for a 5w30? If it is in fact a thinner oil, it wouldn't be on my list for an Ecoboost engine.

You say you wanted something slightly thicker but isn't PP 5w30 on the thin side for a 5w30? If it is in fact a thinner oil, it wouldn't be on my list for an Ecoboost engine.

Not the one you directly asked the question to but I think it would depend on how you judged "thinner". By 100C or HTHS. As someone else said, "It doesn't matter what it went in but what it comes out". At 100C it's on the thinner side. HTHS it's about average. I actually very much like some of the thinner oils in the 3.5EB. Castrol and Castrol EP are pretty thin going in at 100C but they routinely come out higher than other GF-5/GF-6 Oils.

Thicker than the 0W20 and hths of VW recommended 508 oil for my car, not the EB. But like I said after that post, I may just stick with a 2.6/7 hths due to the changes made to accommodate xw20. But I will not go 10k miles. 5-7.5k with an ILSAC Synthetic 0/5w20 will be my choice.

And I do believe PP 5w30 would be perfectly acceptable in the Ecoboost as GeneK alludes to.

Last edited:
Thicker than the 0W20 and hths of VW recommended 508 oil for my car, not the EB. But like I said after that post, I may just stick with a 2.6/7 hths due to the changes made to accommodate xw20. But I will not go 10k miles. 5-7.5k with an ILSAC Synthetic 0/5w20 will be my choice.

And I do believe PP 5w30 would be perfectly acceptable in the Ecoboost as GeneK alludes to.
I definitely wouldn't go with PP in an Ecoboost but I respect your opinion. Cheers

I prefer oils that are a little thicker than Pennzoil Platinum. QSUD, Mobil 1 original, Havoline Pro DS and Kendall GT-1 Max.

Back