Oil choice for 2 Ecoboosts

The opposite of what you're describing would be communism, where everyone is equally poor. We might have a system that is messed up in some places, however, I'll take it any day over the alternative. Financial success, excess, and pigging out on soul food is our way of life. And I'm just like everyone else, I buy more than I need because ... you never know ;)

I was just pointing out buying trucks we only use 1% of the time is nothing unique. We have built a society that allows the majority the ability to indulge ourselves so we do. I don't believe I would care to live in the opposite type of society. Freedom means supporting others right to do things you wouldn't.

Not true, Platinum still displays HTO-06 on the containers. I put it in my Jeep with the 2L turbo recently.
View attachment 28947
Good post! I don't see it on the current PDS though. Strange. But hopefully it's back on there soon.
Screenshot_20200909-161426_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Good post! I don't see it on the current PDS though. Strange. But hopefully it's back on there soon.
The PDS on the Pennzoil website for Platinum 5W-30 is actually the same one for their 5W-20. I tried explaining that to them via email a couple months ago but the person I was talking to didn’t have a clue what I was trying to explain. I also PM’d Gena Fishbeck to see if she could contact someone at Pennzoil to see if they could correct it but she never responded.

The PDS on the Pennzoil website for Platinum 5W-30 is actually the same one for their 5W-20. I tried explaining that to them via email a couple months ago but the person I was talking to didn’t have a clue what I was trying to explain. I also PM’d Gena Fishbeck to see if she could contact someone at Pennzoil to see if they could correct it but she never responded.

I used the epc shell.com PDS for that reason. They have the correct 5w30 specs.

I've been running 9k to 10K OCI's on our Ecoboost with Mobil 1 EP 5w30 and Fram Ultra filters. It seems to like that combo. Ours doesn't get many cold starts. Lots of stop/go driving but the engine gets fully warmed and stays there awhile. I've not smelled fuel in the oil. Runs like new.

Thanks. Also doesn’t list A5/B5 like on the container, at least on what I can see.

Last edited:
I've been running 9k to 10K OCI's on our Ecoboost with Mobil 1 EP 5w30 and Fram Ultra filters. It seems to like that combo. Ours doesn't get many cold starts. Lots of stop/go driving but the engine gets fully warmed and stays there awhile. I've not smelled fuel in the oil. Runs like new.

This sounds like a solid choice. One I'll consider for the Passat.

Last edited:
Very view people only buy what they need. You will see very few 1.0L 3 cylinder Subcompacts in use in America even though they easily cover 90% of the populations use 90% of the time. People don't even walk for trips of less than a mile or bike for trips less than three. Most people I know have at least triple the housing they need (Me included) and WAY more toys than they require.
Very view people only buy what they need. You will see very few 1.0L 3 cylinder Subcompacts in use in America even though they easily cover 90% of the populations use 90% of the time. People don't even walk for trips of less than a mile or bike for trips less than three. Most people I know have at least triple the housing they need (Me included) and WAY more toys than they require.
Any way you slice it still doesn't make it right.

Another vote here for Mobil 1 5W-30. I have 50k miles on this oil. I change it every 5k miles since mine has only the direct injection. Doesn't burn oil and runs great.

HTO-06 is an outdated spec.

This is true but a spec developed during API SM (2007) and meant for older generation turbos that didn't cool as well, should do fine in these better oils and less taxing turbos that employ more complex cooling.
It's a tangible turbo spec many like to see...still.

Last edited:
This is true but a spec developed during API SM (2007) and meant for older generation turbos that didn't cool as well, should do fine in these better oils and less taxing turbos that employ more complex cooling.

Hmmm... A Spec that requires an oil exceed the current requirements instead of just meeting them.

Yes, I can see where no one would want that. It's why Conoco Phillips bought Redline. Absolutely no potential market for anything that exceeds current API ILSAC requirements. It's why no one here uses synthetic for less than 10,000+ mi OCI.

Hmmm... A Spec that requires an oil exceed the current requirements instead of just meeting them.

Yes, I can see where no one would want that. It's why Conoco Phillips bought Redline. Absolutely no potential market for anything that exceeds current API ILSAC requirements. It's why no one here uses synthetic for less than 10,000+ mi OCI.

IMHO, CP bought Redline to capitalize on the name. All of the white bottle products look identical to before CP's acquisition but of course we now have re-bottled CP products tarted up with Redline labels. The confusion that has generated on this site, one that revolves around oil, certainly makes a case for some consumer success with no R&D required.

I agree. Even though it's outdated, I think it's a good spec :)

HTO-06 was developed by Honda because they had found that TEOST was not a good test because it only tested new oil. When you introduce combustion byproducts into the oil, many oils failed miserably at preventing deposits. Honda R&D at that time found only Mobil 1 passed it, by a large margin, while others did not.

This is why I stopped paying attention to Amsoil's TEOST marketing material around that time. Joe 90 Guy also said it's a useless test. Nice bench test for marketing I suppose. But real world validity it falls short.

The GM turbo test is now the standard I believe.

Shell makes great oils but if you didn't know anything about motor oil you'd think Platinum is just made of Gas to Liquid base oils lol.

Last edited:
Back