Oil choice for 2 Ecoboosts

So I have 2 Ecoboost F150s. One is my daily driver and the other is my wife's.

My truck is a 2019 2.7L with about 7500 miles on it. I drive 3 miles each way to work 5 days a week with a highway run of about an hour mixed in once a week. I did my first oil change at 1000 miles, second at 4000, and third at 7000. Besides the factory fill, it's had Castrol Magnatec 5w-30.

My wife's truck is a 2015 3.5L with about 58k miles on it. Her daily commute is 2 miles to work, 2 miles home at lunch, 2 miles back to work, then 2 miles home again. We do a 1-2 hour highway run every weekend. We bought it from a Ford dealer at 55k and dumped the MC blend at 57k and I switched it over to Magnatec as well.

Our commutes are probably the worst on oil, so I plan to change it every 3-5 months. Should I stick with the Magnatec or switch to a much cheaper Supertech or Kirkland since the intervals are so short?

My wife and I have similar driving styles as you. I change ours once a year in April with Amsoil SS 5w30 with Amsoil filters. Mine is a 2019 F150 with 3.5 and the wife has 2018 Taurus with 3.5. Don’t over think it. Any oil would survive your intervals and your spending essentially the same amount as I am changing it at 3-5 months.

Have you thought about Havoline Pro DS? It can be had in 6Qt boxes at Walmart for cheap. It’s a good oil at a great price. It usually costs the same or a little less than Quaker State Ultimate Durability in 5Qt. jugs. Supertech or Kirkland are good choices. Compare their prices to Havoline Pro DS.

Here are a few excerpts from the 2019 Ford 5-150 owners manual. The manual calls for 5w30, not 5w20 like most Ford vehicles. Now, this is too new for the manual, but there is no reason not to get a GF-6 SP rated oil. It’s in the stores now. SP supercedes SN. I’ve attached some info. So, SP rated 5w30. I would chose a full synthetic for any turbo engine. I’ve attached some info from the owners manual on how to decide the change interval. The product selection I will leave to the Bittoggers out there. :)

F01FC9BB-895F-42D1-988B-A1370D9DFF37.png79153F73-751B-4760-B9C3-B44BD3B32AA0.png999498E9-1D26-400F-8212-DA39E672C25D.png8AD2868B-8678-4F87-8536-06921D46C088.png

Last edited:
Have you thought about Havoline Pro DS? It can be had in 6Qt boxes at Walmart for cheap. It’s a good oil at a great price. It usually costs the same or a little less than Quaker State Ultimate Durability in 5Qt. jugs. Supertech or Kirkland are good choices. Compare their prices to Havoline Pro DS.
+1 on the Havoline PRO DS. $17.97 for the 6 qt. box at WM.

Short oil changes would be any lower priced quality name brand oil,, Warren oils are quality.

I have thought about havoline as well, just never heard much about them. I know they have to at least be decent considering the parent company.

I run the motorcraft filters on both trucks and plan to stick with that brand.

I have thought of using higher quality oils at a yearly interval but the fuel dilution I'd have would make me nervous. My 3-5 month interval usually equates to 2500-3500 miles so I know the mileage isn't an issue, just the hours of low speed/idle time.

As a last note to JohnnyJohnson, we both drive trucks because we use the bed of them on a weekly basis. If we didn't need a truck, we'd buy something else. Of course, I really don't need to justify our decision to both own trucks. Chances are, we'd still own trucks even if they weren't being used for anything other than commuting. But to ease your mind, yes, we do need 2 trucks.

I will stand up for the honor of Magnatec 5W30.

This oil produces nothing but stellar UOAs,
and should be near the top of everyone's list of underrated motor oils.

See the shameful BITOG Castrol hatred.

OP, stick with what you are doing.

Regarding ROI, hopefully you are getting this oil in the 5 quart jug at Walmart.

And yes, trucks are NEEDED in both Alaska and Texas. :)

Like Magnatec as well, just not in Alaska's deep, dark and COLD winter. It's the cold...

And yes, trucks are NEEDED in both Alaska and Texas. :)

Like Magnatec as well, just not in Alaska's deep, dark and COLD winter. It's the cold...

For colder climates I’d pick Pennzoil for its GTL base, which has lower pour point. That’s assuming we’re still talking 5w30, pretty irrelevant if we go down to the 0w world

I have thought about havoline as well, just never heard much about them. I know they have to at least be decent considering the parent company.

I have thought of using higher quality oils at a yearly interval but the fuel dilution I'd have would make me nervous. My 3-5 month interval usually equates to 2500-3500 miles so I know the mileage isn't an issue, just the hours of low speed/idle time.

As a last note to JohnnyJohnson, we both drive trucks because we use the bed of them on a weekly basis. If we didn't need a truck, we'd buy something else. Of course, I really don't need to justify our decision to both own trucks. Chances are, we'd still own trucks even if they weren't being used for anything other than commuting. But to ease your mind, yes, we do need 2 trucks.
Have you done an oil sample to check what fuel dilution you are getting?

I would do oil analysis to decide oci and if your oil selection is up to the task of protecting your engine.

Just keep using the Castrol oil that you have been using. With two late model Ford trucks in the family, it doesn’t sound like motor oil will be straining your budget. Magnatec is reasonably priced and is a good motor oil.

According to Ford, severe service usage is to change oil 5,000-7,500 miles on the Ford F-150. If you are looking to save money don’t be cutting it down to 3,000 mile oil changes.

I have a 19 F150 with the 2.7 and I have 2 oil analysis reports posted in the UOA section. One is for Pennzoil Platinum and the other Castrol Edge EP both 7.5k OCI with motorcraft filters.

It’s up to you, but your oil samples seem to be doing well at 7500 miles intervals even with the fuel dilution. As long as it stays in grade I wouldn’t worry about it.

The price of the oil certainly isn't a problem. At the same time I'd hate to waste my money if an oil at half the price yields the exact same results. I haven't done a UOA yet to see the exact fuel dilution but I know a 7500 interval would be around 9 months. With the short trips during the week and idle time with remote start, I expect high levels if I keep the oil in for an extended time.

I certainly have no problem keeping the Magnatec if the value justifies it. Right now I buy 3 5qt jugs at around $60 total at Walmart and have a little over 3qts to go toward the next change. If I were to switch to Supertech or Kirkland I can go as low as $30 for 12qts. Havoline is somewhere around $34-36.

Back