Oil choice.... 5w40 Pennzoil Euro vs Mobile 1 FS 0w40....

Neebie here, just want to start to do the oil change myself. But right now, got a bit hard time on what I should be choosing.

Right now, I'm using the Pennzoil 5W40 euro, cause it's LL01 approved for my bmw 550i. But I live in Canada, and in winter it could get -30C(-22F) easily, and the cold start noise can be a bit load. So I'm thinking of switching.

The Mobile 1 FS 0W40 is on sale at this moment. But it only have MB229.5, VW503 01 and Porsche A40 approved, no LL01. Will that gonna be an issue?

Between the two oil, which one would you choose? One has better protection in the winter time, but no LL01 approval. One has it, but will 5w40 be enough for the -30C weather?

Any advice would be appreciate

In my experience even the 0w40 is pretty thick down at those temps. Maybe look into valvoline 5w40 it has one of the best on paper viscosity index and low temperature performance of the 5w40s.

Is the car still under warranty? If not then M1 0w40 would be best.

At -22F there will be no significant difference between a 5W and a 0W oil if they are both 40-grades. Not until you get to -35F or below. Generally a startup noise is due to a mechanical defect or the oil filter. At that temperature both oils are extremely thick.

In my experience even the 0w40 is pretty thick down at those temps. Maybe look into valvoline 5w40 it has one of the best on paper viscosity index and low temperature performance of the 5w40s.

Is the car still under warranty? If not then M1 0w40 would be best.
At -22F there will be no significant difference between a 5W and a 0W oil if they are both 40-grades. Not until you get to -35F or below. Generally a startup noise is due to a mechanical defect or the oil filter. At that temperature both oils are extremely thick.
Thanks guys. Appreciate your reply here. So you are saying there not much different between 0w40 and 5w40 at -30C(-22F)? And probably the 5w40 can survive that temp?
I see the pour point of Pennzoil 5w40 only at -36C(-33F). That's the reason I was worried.

I have the same dilemma in my M-Sport. I used M-1 0W40 for years, but when the LL01 rating disappeared, I changed. My assumption is that it went from a high SAPS to lower SAPS, thus not fitting the LL01 spec. But high SAPS is bad for the cats, right? And BMW cats are mighty expensive. So has oil technology improved enough that high SAPS might not be so necessary, along with the benefit to the cats?

I have the same dilemma in my M-Sport. I used M-1 0W40 for years, but when the LL01 rating disappeared, I changed. My assumption is that it went from a high SAPS to lower SAPS, thus not fitting the LL01 spec. But high SAPS is bad for the cats, right? And BMW cats are mighty expensive. So has oil technology improved enough that high SAPS might not be so necessary, along with the benefit to the cats?
No the ash level did not change in the ExxonMobil product. The Longlife-01 SA limit has not changed either I do not believe since it's dictated by ACEA A3/B4 and that has not changed. LL-01 is not a low SAPS approval.

The testing for 5W is tested at -30C and -35C for 0W, at -30C, the 0w40 is probably a good deal thinner than a 5W40.

oxidation limits

LL-01 was updated in 2018 and is still allowed to be filled in several current models. No 0W40 carries the approval

Last edited:
Put in 5w 40 LL-01 castrol a few months back.
Fixing BMW to sell it.
2005 325i 191k

Back