Oil Change Best Left to the Professionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
professionals.....hmmmm.

Just google "[insert oil change facility here] stripped my drain plug."

15,100 hits for one oil change place in particular.

Well they do qualify the recommendation by saying "unless you're an enthusiast" and everyone on BITOG is an enthusiast right?

It's also "politically correct" to encourage having a "professional
change it" to presumably make sure the used oil is properly disposed of.

Truth is, it is a pretty messy job.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Well they do qualify the recommendation by saying "unless you're an enthusiast" and everyone on BITOG is an enthusiast right?

One would hope...

It's also "politically correct" to encourage having a "professional change it" to presumably make sure the used oil is properly disposed of.
Or rather, "politically convenient". IMHO

Funny you mentioned that, my friend just had his oil changed at the dealership. When he drove off he noticed smoke coming out of the tailpipe, It seems they overfilled it !

Last edited:

I agree. Changing oil and filter for many cars is a messy job. Also, dispose of used oil is not very convenience either.

Since we are primarily a service-based economy, in my opinion, this video was made to make people aware of 1.) our economic situation and 2.) how we can bolster it.

kind of pointless to DIY'ers like the majority of the members on this forum.

On a side note, yes usually oil drain plugs get stripped because the oil change place sometimes forgets to change the torque on the torque wrench when they change the head for wheel nuts to the head needed for oil pan bolts. 160 ft lbs on an oil pan bolt is not a good looking scenario haha. My biggest concern is the deformation of the oil pan itself, at the area around the nut. The area is already structurally weaker due to the stress involved in drilling out the whole and threading it. It can be a cause of leaks. And it's also pricy to replace.

I agree that most people that "Do Oil Changes" are not mechanics even when you take it to the dealer. You don't have to be certified to do oil changes. Last couple of times I had the wifes car oil changed at the local place the car leaked oil. They use cheap one size fits all O Ring gaskets for the drain plug. You over tighten the bolt and guess what??? you just tore your O ring. That is why you should ALWAYS use a metal drain plug washer.

Additionally, When my Dad used to Manage an Acura Dealer, He would catch the mechanics stealing customers synthetic oil that they brought in, and just put the stuff in the 55 gallon drum in the customer cars.

Basically, when you do the oil change yourself, you KNOW what your getting.

Granted oil changes are easy to do, but can be easy to mess up too. Common sense goes a long way here.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Also, dispose of used oil is not very convenience either.

I live in an Oregon rural area and just put my used oil curbside for weekly pickup. Too bad the rest of the nation doesn't follow suit!

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Also, dispose of used oil is not very convenience either.

I live in an Oregon rural area and just put my used oil curbside for weekly pickup. Too bad the rest of the nation doesn't follow suit!

Here it's crazy. You take the oil to AAP, AZ, etc. but with coolant you have to wait for a hazardous waste pickup in your area. In my area it's in October so if I miss it I have to store it for a year until the next one. Why doesn't AAP, AZ, etc. take that too? No wonder people just dump it.

John

Im an enthusiast. I agree that an oil/filter chabge is easy to mess up and im not surprised that people that take in synthetic oils have it stolen and told that it was put in....a good friend of mine just got back from NC, he had his oil changed there and they killed the drain plug....alloy oil pan....might try to repair it??...

....i realized there was a problem when i saw the oil drips on his driveway....in 2 places....sure, there were drips from the plug but another drip, in a different place...surley not...yep, THEY HADN'T EVEN TIGHTENED THE [censored] FILTER CORRECTLY!!

So yes, doing it yourself is kinda messy but i hadnt really thought of that....maybe i like the smell!?....but you do know what you are getting!!

Quote "On a side note, yes usually oil drain plugs get stripped because the oil change place sometimes forgets to change the torque on the torque wrench when they change the head for wheel nuts to the head needed for oil pan bolts. 160 ft lbs on an oil pan bolt is not a good looking scenario haha. My biggest concern is the deformation of the oil pan itself, at the area around the nut. The area is already structurally weaker due to the stress involved in drilling out the whole and threading it. It can be a cause of leaks. And it's also pricy to replace."

Just use a Fumoto drain valve on EVERY vehicle (assuming that one fits) and you won't have any oil pan or oil pan drain bolt problems. I can't believe at this time, the DOT hasn't mandated these valves on every new vehicle. I've NEVER had a problem with one in over 25 years!

{bypassing the censor removed} The last time I took my car for an oil change my car came back leaking a lot of oil. Found out that replace the drain plug with a cheap o' plug.

You can take your used oil to any Autozone, Pepboys, and even Walmart! Is not to complicated to dispose of use oil.

Besides doing oil changes are very easy and fun, for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe these are a good drain plug for some people. I don't know too much about them since they remind me of those spigot's on a thermos bottle, where the fluid comes out in a slow, thin stream of fluid and sometimes gets clogged.

I like to open up a hot oil pan drain plug and let the the oil flow out like a river of mud. When I drain it this way, I feel confident that most, if not all, of the contaminants have been caught up in the wild torrent of oil leaving the crankcase. Just my feelings.....I like the fast gush out of the oil pan over a slow narrow stream which may leave a lot of debris in the bottom of the oil pan. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted By: BGK
Quote "On a side note, yes usually oil drain plugs get stripped because the oil change place sometimes forgets to change the torque on the torque wrench when they change the head for wheel nuts to the head needed for oil pan bolts. 160 ft lbs on an oil pan bolt is not a good looking scenario haha. My biggest concern is the deformation of the oil pan itself, at the area around the nut. The area is already structurally weaker due to the stress involved in drilling out the whole and threading it. It can be a cause of leaks. And it's also pricy to replace."

Just use a Fumoto drain valve on EVERY vehicle (assuming that one fits) and you won't have any oil pan or oil pan drain bolt problems. I can't believe at this time, the DOT hasn't mandated these valves on every new vehicle. I've NEVER had a problem with one in over 25 years!

If for some reason they refuse to take the used oil from you when you bring back to be safely disposed of by the establishment you always have another option to use.

Just come back when they have closed for business and leave the oil, safely packaged, at their door or doorstep for the store to pick up in the morning when they open for business. They have no choice but to take the used oil and dispose of it in their recycle tanks. Just make sure that the hood you drop it off in is free of juvenile delinquents or street people who might make destructive use of the hazardous waste.

Originally Posted By: Junior96Stang
{bypassing the censor removed} The last time I took my car for an oil change my car came back leaking a lot of oil. Found out that replace the drain plug with a cheap o' plug.

You can take your used oil to any Autozone, Pepboys, and even Walmart! Is not to complicated to dispose of use oil.

Besides doing oil changes are very easy and fun, for me?

Originally Posted By: mongo161
If for some reason they refuse to take the used oil from you when you bring back to be safely disposed of by the establishment you always have another option to use.

Just come back when they have closed for business and leave the oil, safely packaged, at their door or doorstep for the store to pick up in the morning when they open for business. They have no choice but to take the used oil and dispose of it in their recycle tanks. Just make sure that the hood you drop it off in is free of juvenile delinquents or street people who might make destructive use of the hazardous waste.

Bad information.

Visit collection centers during business hours. Leaving oil or any other substance after hours is illegal, punishable by imprisonment or a fine up to $10,000.

I think it has more to do with the loss of the renaissance man over the past couple of decades. The "sensitive males" that have come out of this last couple of generations are not just inexperienced with basic mechanical skills, they were never encourage to develop them and are outright scared to even attempt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back