Oil Change Best Left to the Professionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have oil tanks in the shop we put oil in and its picked up.. i believe in disposing oil properly of course if it starts costing a lot to get rid of im sure people will be pouring it down the drain or leaving it in the streets...

Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Also, dispose of used oil is not very convenience either.

I live in an Oregon rural area and just put my used oil curbside for weekly pickup. Too bad the rest of the nation doesn't follow suit!

Here it's crazy. You take the oil to AAP, AZ, etc. but with coolant you have to wait for a hazardous waste pickup in your area. In my area it's in October so if I miss it I have to store it for a year until the next one. Why doesn't AAP, AZ, etc. take that too? No wonder people just dump it.

John

A local shop at the gas station half a mile from me accepted my drain pan full of coolant and just dumped it in the same reservoir they use for used engine oil. The guy said it doesn't matter if it mixes with the oil, at least in Florida. I thought one wasn't supposed to mix oil and coolant (and brake fluid?) since it prevents the used oil from being recycled or burned properly?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I have oil tanks in the shop we put oil in and its picked up.. i believe in disposing oil properly of course if it starts costing a lot to get rid of im sure people will be pouring it down the drain or leaving it in the streets...
It helps that stores like walmart recycle motor oil for you. Thats where a lot of us go on this forum for oil anyway. And on top of that Quickie Lube shops bulk!!! NO WAY! That [censored] is gross. Get me some PYB in a YB please, dont want your stinkin bulk [censored]..

I honestly think you have to try to strip a drain plug, I mean put effort into doing it, or had it done by a shop and got burnt the next time you did a DIY OC. I wish I knew how many oil changes I've done over the years, I never stripped an oil pan drain plug.

Professional is not a title, it's a verb IMHO. I'm pretty sure that I act 'professional' when I take excellent care of my vehicles. However, I know friends that would not act very professional if they attempted an oil change
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors
Professional is not a title, it's a verb IMHO. I'm pretty sure that I act 'professional' when I take excellent care of my vehicles. However, I know friends that would not act very professional if they attempted an oil change
grin2.gif

"Do you want fries with your order, sir?"

OR
"Can I SUPERSIZE that for you?"

There is not automatic correlation between "Professional" and "Expert". A professional gets paid to do something. An expert knows what they are doing.

Originally Posted By: buickman50401

I think it has more to do with the loss of the renaissance man over the past couple of decades. The "sensitive males" that have come out of this last couple of generations are not just inexperienced with basic mechanical skills, they were never encourage to develop them and are outright scared to even attempt anything.

I'm curious what age group you believe these "sensitive males" are consisting of? What year would you say that they started being born around?

My father, born in '33, wouldn't pick up a wrench to save his soul, for anything. Myself, however, born in '74, haven't any hangups when it comes to pulling out a variety of tool boxes, depending on the task at hand. Oil changes, motorcycle and car tire changes, motorcycle front fork rebuilds, Ducati Desmodromic valve adjustments, you name it, I have tools for it, and its going to be satisfying when its done.

Correctly the first time, too.
Can't say the same about so many different car and motorcycle shops out here.

I have yet to run into a vehicle I couldn't do an oil change on. I also have yet to strip a drain plug, or forget to tighten anything down properly. Yet you hear about so many quickie oil change places doing that on a regular basis.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

I think it has more to do with the loss of the renaissance man over the past couple of decades. The "sensitive males" that have come out of this last couple of generations are not just inexperienced with basic mechanical skills, they were never encourage to develop them and are outright scared to even attempt anything.

I'm curious what age group you believe these "sensitive males" are consisting of? What year would you say that they started being born around?

My father, born in '33, wouldn't pick up a wrench to save his soul, for anything. Myself, however, born in '74, haven't any hangups when it comes to pulling out a variety of tool boxes, depending on the task at hand. Oil changes, motorcycle and car tire changes, motorcycle front fork rebuilds, Ducati Desmodromic valve adjustments, you name it, I have tools for it, and its going to be satisfying when its done.

I have yet to run into a vehicle I couldn't do an oil change on. I also have yet to strip a drain plug, or forget to tighten anything down properly. Yet you hear about so many quickie oil change places doing that on a regular basis.

BC.

Regardless of your father's proclivities, self-reliance used to be something that was admired, and part of that was being willing to attempt to DIY some things. Unfortunately, those things are associated with being a male and the misandry movement and people of certain political persuasions are all about "fighting the patriarchy", so rather than those qualities being admired and instilled in our children (male and female), they sort of started to get abandoned around the mid to late 80s.

Couple that with the more recent (last couple decades) myth that everyone has to go to college and that the trades are looked down on and thus generally not taught in many schools any longer and you get a couple of generations that were raised as seeing physical work, even if it was just DIY stuff around the house as being beneath them leaving them as adults at a point where they either still hold that opinion or are just so scared to even attempt it (having had no prior exposure) that we get things like what is being discussed in relation to oil changes.

I haven't seen many 'professionals' working in oil changing.

At the stealership where I worked years ago (oldsmobile) the newest and least experienced were sent to the oil change area.

Seems to still be true today. They are simply not going to pay a real repair tech to change oil.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

BC.

Regardless of your father's proclivities, self-reliance used to be something that was admired, and part of that was being willing to attempt to DIY some things. Unfortunately, those things are associated with being a male and the misandry movement and people of certain political persuasions are all about "fighting the patriarchy", so rather than those qualities being admired and instilled in our children (male and female), they sort of started to get abandoned around the mid to late 80s.

Couple that with the more recent (last couple decades) myth that everyone has to go to college and that the trades are looked down on and thus generally not taught in many schools any longer and you get a couple of generations that were raised as seeing physical work, even if it was just DIY stuff around the house as being beneath them leaving them as adults at a point where they either still hold that opinion or are just so scared to even attempt it (having had no prior exposure) that we get things like what is being discussed in relation to oil changes.

I totally agree. My deceased Dad was a mechanic, built his own house, did his own repairs and taught me plenty. Most guys I know nowdays can't even turn a screw, largely for the reasons listed above. And I am amazed how many times, if I have my hood up in the driveway, a neighbor will run over and say "what's wrong?" Nothing's wrong, I'm just checking on things or replacing a filter or something. They'll reply with "Oh, I take it somewhere for that."

John

I like to diy, but once stripped drain plug, luckily i was able to get it out and buy a new one for $5, i realize alot of older diyers simply cant justify getting under there anymore, and hopefully they can find a good honest shop

Originally Posted By: dtt004
On a side note, yes usually oil drain plugs get stripped because the oil change place sometimes forgets to change the torque on the torque wrench when they change the head for wheel nuts to the head needed for oil pan bolts. 160 ft lbs on an oil pan bolt is not a good looking scenario haha.

A "professional" would know the difference in 160Ft lb and the maybe 15-20ft lb required on a drain plug...

"It hasn't clicked yet, help me pull on this wrench"

Sheesh...

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Well they do qualify the recommendation by saying "unless you're an enthusiast" and everyone on BITOG is an enthusiast right?

It's also "politically correct" to encourage having a "professional
change it" to presumably make sure the used oil is properly disposed of.

Truth is, it is a pretty messy job.

I think you're right.
Many modern males don't understand the simple joy of weekend DIY work on their cars, their houses or even their lawns and plantings.
Can you imagine paying someone to apply chemicals to your lawn, or to cut it?
The only way to learn how to do things is to do them.
It is both interesting and financially rewarding to do your own repair and maintenance work.
There is great satisfaction in being able to fix things yourself.
Many modern men don't seem to understand that there are better uses for weekends than shopping or watching videos or sports.
No wonder you see so many still young men with serious weight problems.
They never actually get up and do anything requiring physical effort.

Originally Posted By: John_K
Did Ashland pay for the video?

No, SOPUS did.

Wow, I feel so cool now that I've slammed a company mindlessly. Do I fit in now?

Who wrote this article must have remembered Frank Zappas; Joes Garage.

Frank_Zappa_Joes_Garage.jpg

My friend had his car burn up when they forgot to replace the power steering cap and a quicky lube place. Car burned up. He went back to the shop and they said, pointing to the cap on the workbench; "Oh.....Thats what that was off of".

Originally Posted By: glum

No, SOPUS did.

Wow, I feel so cool now that I've slammed a company mindlessly. Do I fit in now?

LOL

I believe my car would last longer doing it myself, rather than the bulk goodness oil and filters that iffy lubes and dealerships use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back