Oil breaking in a 454

I always use a dedicated break-in oil on a fresh build. There's no disadvantage to it, and I've seen wear results in the first 250 miles being significantly lower than a conventional API oil, with or without a supplement. Oils like Rotella 15w-40 and Valvoline VR1 have shown 100-300 ppm iron after break-in. Driven BR30.... just 48 ppm.

Ok I picked up 7 qt Ravenol break in oil I will use running it on my engine stand and check so everything is fine before I take it to the dyno. Will change oil and filter before the dyno session will use dino oil when I dyno it and the first miles on street before I go syntetic.

Ok I picked up 7 qt Ravenol break in oil I will use running it on my engine stand and check so everything is fine before I take it to the dyno. Will change oil and filter before the dyno session will use dino oil when I dyno it and the first miles on street before I go syntetic.

I would dyno it on the same break-in oil. That's where the bread and butter of the break-in will be is on the dyno with varying load and rpm as well as heat cycling. Don't be worried about break-in wear metals circulating around. That's why you have a filter.

Driven offers their gp-1 in a break in SAE 30. I'd run that then switch to their 15w40 or 20w50 after break in.

Back in the day I usually broke in SBC's with non detergent 30wt and an appropriate amount of gm eos, then switched to Kendall GT1 20w50. Ah, those were the days.

I see no reason to use a 40 or 50 grade in a mild NA 454 making ~600 hp. A good synthetic 30 grade will get the job done without the increased hydrodynamic friction and accompanying power loss. We don't know the OP's bearing clearances though.

I see no reason to use a 40 or 50 grade in a mild NA 454 making ~600 hp. A good synthetic 30 grade will get the job done without the increased hydrodynamic friction and accompanying power loss. We don't know the OP's bearing clearances t
.003 on the rods and mains except nr 5 that has .0035. .020 rod side clearance.
street and some strip. Pro system custom 950 hp Holley car.

Oil pressure on most builds I have Done with same clearance is 25 psi@idle 900rpm and 50-60 psi@3000 and up depending on what spring I used in the oil pump(Std volym oilpump). Using 5w40 syntetic oil.

I see no reason to use a 40 or 50 grade in a mild NA 454 making ~600 hp. A good synthetic 30 grade will get the job done without the increased hydrodynamic friction and accompanying power loss. We don't know the OP's bearing clearances though.
So 0w30/0w40 A3/B4 it is?

@wpod Thanks. I completely missed that somehow. :confused:

If I was building it, I would've gone .0020-.0022" on mains, .0022-.0024" on rods, and use a 30 grade. A lot of builders go wide though for added security. Given those clearances, a 40 grade would be needed. I apologize for that and ignore my comment on using a 30 grade.

Back