Oil breaking in a 454

From the original post it sounds like he is the builder.
in that case i would then ask what the clearances are, exactly, and what the engine is going to be doing. circle track maintaining 5k rpms? daily driver running the strip on the weekend?
carb, fuel injected?

Why not just ask some pro rebuilder shops what they use to keep their warranty in effect. I remember an episode on Gas Monkey Garage where they just put in a rebuilt engine and after 10 minutes it started to make some terrible noises. They sent the engine back and the rebuilder said the Monkeys used regular oil instead of break in oil. Was an expensive lesson.

manufacturer? who would that be? the engine builder? because unless its a gm crate engine they didnt mfr anything.

im just telling you what the local engine builders use on BB chevy here. maybe you should call up your builder
I built it, lifter mfg is Morel. John callies the owner of morel told me no heavier than 40wt.

in that case i would then ask what the clearances are, exactly, and what the engine is going to be doing. circle track maintaining 5k rpms? daily driver running the strip on the weekend?
carb, fuel injected?
.003 on the rods and mains except nr 5 that has .0035. .020 rod side clearance.
street and some strip. Pro system custom 950 hp Holley car.

Oil pressure on most builds I have Done with same clearance is 25 psi@idle 900rpm and 50-60 psi@3000 and up depending on what spring I used in the oil pump(Std volym oilpump). Using 5w40 syntetic oil.

Last edited:
Why not just ask some pro rebuilder shops what they use to keep their warranty in effect. I remember an episode on Gas Monkey Garage where they just put in a rebuilt engine and after 10 minutes it started to make some terrible noises. They sent the engine back and the rebuilder said the Monkeys used regular oil instead of break in oil. Was an expensive lesson.
All give different answers, just like asking what 10 people like for dinner. maybe they bought a flat tappet cammed engine and didnt break it in correct and used oil with not enough zddp?

If it were mine I would use a known quality break in oil like Joe Gibbs, nothing to loose only benefit. The cam is only one area of concern, watch this video.

That is B.S. I have built several big block chevs for my boats. from 1972 through 2002. They were 8,000 rpm engines, no break in oil and with the solid cams cam lube. The engines looked good at refresh time . The valve trains were wasted as expected. I rebuilt a bunch of engines at work and nope no break in oil used. What oil does Ford use on their 2.7 eco boost engines?. 2 hp per cubic inch output?

Oil pressure on most builds I have Done with same clearance is 25 psi@idle 900rpm and 50-60 psi@3000 and up depending on what spring I used in the oil pump(Std volym oilpump). Using 5w40 syntetic oil.
so the clearance isnt huge but not too tight either. ive never even thought of lifters when choosing oil grade so i dont know what to say about that. i would personally break it in with a decent name brand break oil like joe gibbs. if you want to run 40, then run 40. just watch your oil pressure at the track when its warm. if it drops go up to a 50.

hell there are big block guys here running sae 70. lol i think they have lots of clearance tho.

That is B.S. I have built several big block chevs for my boats. from 1972 through 2002. They were 8,000 rpm engines, no break in oil and with the solid cams cam lube. The engines looked good at refresh time . The valve trains were wasted as expected. I rebuilt a bunch of engines at work and nope no break in oil used. What oil does Ford use on their 2.7 eco boost engines?. 2 hp per cubic inch output?
What was wasted in Valve train? You used Roller rockers on those engines I suppose with that rpm?

How much zinc was in those oils and how much fewer additives that are used today? I would say a lot more of one and a lot less of the others.
No offence but if anyone is talking BS its you.

so the clearance isnt huge but not too tight either. ive never even thought of lifters when choosing oil grade so i dont know what to say about that. i would personally break it in with a decent name brand break oil like joe gibbs. if you want to run 40, then run 40. just watch your oil pressure at the track when its warm. if it drops go up to a 50.

hell there are big block guys here running sae 70. lol i think they have lots of clearance tho.
.003 is pretty Std on a BB Chevy that is little more than std, my mentor always said better little loose than tight.
Lifters are hyd and can make noise with 50wt oil has to Do with cst it has to be 15 or less t 100deg c. Do a Google search noisy morels and you have a week of reading LOL.

20W-50 wt oil clearances.

How much zinc was in those oils and how much fewer additives that are used today? I would say a lot more of one and a lot less of the others.
I see you are german any experience with Ravenol?

Like I mentioned lifter mfg says no to that heavy wt oil and from former experience 5w40 seems to works ok with those clearances.

No offence but if anyone is talking BS its you
No offense taken but the engine we are talking about here has a roller cam. No oils ever prevented the wear the high pressure springs and cam profile s extreme wear. B.S or not.

? Yes on the wt not on break in oil
you want something with high wear/extreme pressure additives and low detergents.....even with a roller cam.

there are many brands to choose from. joe gibbs is popular in my neck of the woods for cars with solid flat tappets, 700 lift solid rollers, and stock rebuilds. it just works.

What was wasted in Valve train? You used Roller rockers on those engines I suppose with that rpm?
The cost of rollers were too expensive. I would check the valve lash every time I took the boat out it was easy and fast. The cam and lifters etc would need replacing every two years or less.. I used Harland sharp rollers because at the time they would rebuilt them for free . The main reason the engine was there was to beat on it. The rotating assembly was reliable. I really never saw bearing wear to be a concern. 7,500 rpm was around 105 mph with the prop and gearing, The engines before rev limiters would bury an 8,500 rpm tach if the prop got some air. I couldn't imagine the engine build quality needed on the off shore race boats. They must have NASCAR engine quality to stay together,

Last edited:
The cost of rollers were too expensive. Everything wore out. I used Harland sharp rollers because at the time they would rebuilt then for free . The main reason the engine was there was to beat on it. The rotating assembly was reliable. I really never saw bearing wear to be a concern.
Ok so cam went flat and destroyed lifters? Solid flat tappet? Bearings went away in the roller rockers?

Im using Comp cams xd steel roller rockers(life time warranty) just couldnt justify the 600$ Crower for this build, billet hyd roller bullet cam and morel 4603 hyd roller lifters lifters.

Back