Oil Brand Marketing, Perception and Reputation

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do different brands' marketing influence your perception of that oil? What are some perceptions you've heard over the years that for better or worse were influenced by their marketing or reputation?

For example, I once heard an old-timer swear he'd never use Pennzoil because that was what a buddy was using when his engine broke down. And something about the paraffin solidifying in the engine.

Another example, Mobil 1 bottle marketing gives the impression of highly professional oil, while Quaker State marketing can look like an "old timer's" oil. Super Tech marketing looks decidedly off-brand, while Castrol marketing seems to be catered to a younger crowd, etc.

What are your own personal perceptions, based on either experience, stories, or how the bottle looks?

If a label or description contains the word "nano-", it's an instant NO for me.

"Paraffinic", in scientific terms, means a fully saturated hydrocarbon which is pretty much every base oil out there from every oil group including PAOs and esters. Any use of the word "paraffin" on a label is a marketing term void of scientific relevance.

My view is (with anything)... if your product is good, you won't need a massive marketing campaign to push your product. It'll sell itself. I give zero importance to any marketing label. It's all just a word salad to me.

From strictly a marketing point of view, Mobil 1 has always been my favorite. Straightforward, no gimmicks, and reliable. They've also presented more real-world engine testing over the years than the others. Not saying the others don't do this, but they rarely share this type of information. Those are some of the reasons I've always liked Mobil 1.

I think Amsoil has come a long way. Their website and marketing is really good now too. As are others... Redline, HPL and etc. among the boutique brands are excellent.

My least favorite over the years would probably be Castrol, Royal Purple, Liquid No Moly....others I can't think of at the moment.

Last edited:
Choosing motor oil is like choosing bottled water at the supermarket. Pick any one you like, because they all do what they're made to do.,,,
I agree. I'm just interested in hearing the various anecdotes that people have applied to specific brands over the years.

I look for certifications and specification outlined in my Owner's Manual. Whomever designed my SUV is smarter than me...

Marketing doesn’t have the impact for me as does personal experience or recommendations. Some will stick with a certain brand because that is what their father used. Another would be a recommendation from a mechanic that you know well and trust. In all honesty any major brand will serve you well.

Packaging might have a play here as well. In my opinion Valvoline has the best jug. Not by looks but by the fact that you can easily check if the jug is properly sealed. The design of the jug makes it easy to pour as well. I also know people who have used Valvoline for many years.

Bias is #1 in marketing. Once you lock in it is hard to be informed otherwise cause you are already informed in your mind. And this site has a lot of cheerleaders for their team oil. I am thinking about my own bias.

I believe most people here (BITOG) don't fall for marketing strategies. They must work on others, as companies wouldn't spend hundreds of millions on it there was not a good IOR. If you're tuned into the BS that spews from the marketing departments, and don't fall for it, you're over 1/2 way there.

I still get the impression or feeling that Castrol oils are marketed to the old-fashioned, ‘thicker is better’ crowd.
Their oils have always boasted about protecting against viscosity breakdown, and their oils have always seemed to have higher ccs values, and are not as good at cold starts.
I’m pretty sure this is somewhat accurate - their ccs values are higher in tests we have seen; they test a little higher in cst @100 degree measurements. Also, I think GTX 20W-50 overall is probably one of their best selling grades still.
Anecdotally, I’ve had an engine lock up completely at -30C with GTX 10W-30 in it. Yes, I was at the mrv limit for that grade, but we have heard many stories about cars starting, unhappily, at around -30 with some form of 10W-30 or 10W-40 in them.

When I was a kid...
Pennzoil was endorsed by Arnold Palmer. Arnold seemed like a good guy, so that was a positive in my mind.
Quaker State is what my dad bought and came across as an old time, solid brand.
Valvoline was the choice of more professional mechanics. They should know, right?

Of course now that I'm older and more knowledgeable, I realize that it's the intelligence of the molecules that counts above all else.🙂

Anecdotally, I’ve had an engine lock up completely at -30C with GTX 10W-30 in it. Yes, I was at the mrv limit for that grade, but we have heard many stories about cars starting, unhappily, at around -30 with some form of 10W-30 or 10W-40 in them.
Sometimes people do things for which there is no technical basis whosoever. Winter ratings are there for a reason and they mean something.

I still get the impression or feeling that Castrol oils are marketed to the old-fashioned, ‘thicker is better’ crowd.
Just going by the bottle art, their EDGE line (to my eye) looks to be marketed toward a younger crowd. It's quite different from the stodgy look of their GTX line as well as Quaker State green and Pennzoil yellow.

I am a skeptic on marketing and on internet sites suspect shill salesmen. Once I suspect a salesman that kinda sours me on a product. Some things are too good to be true. But regardless information can really help. What did sell me was to stay on the formula that the car manufacturer‘s oil started with. (Mazda moly) That is what I did and disregarded the high Noack cause the moly was high. More thinking on that Noack seems the base oil is not uniform. And the moly is compensation. As silly as it sounds what sold me on PUP is the Project Farm oil shootout. The cold flow test showed PUP second behind Amsoil SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back