Oil/Block heaters - what temp do you plug in at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that have them, at what temperature do you start using them?
dunno.gif

With other cars I owned, I used to start plugging my block heater in once the overnight temps would get below -10C here. But I don't use the block heater in my Corvette because there is nowhere to dangle the cord without damaging the paint, and I don't feel like opening and closing the hood twice a day to plug it in.

I know it can definitely help, but I have also seen good UOAs in the winter months even without using it. It doesn't go below -20C too often in my area anyhow. I think that's where it would really show a huge difference.

I would expect that it would help at any cooler temperature, wouldn't it? I just set them up to come on for a couple of hours for cold A.M. starts. Just set up my wife's diesel Liberty this morning & it made a huge difference at -8 degrees. My two cent's...

John.

I agree entirely that it would help at any temp - I was just curious if there was a 'set temp' that people here plug them in at.

I haven't used one in years for various reasons - some cars didn't have them, other times I didn't have access to a plug in. Have never had a problem with cold starting since my first car.

Last winter, I didn't even know I had a BH on my 2002 Cavalier, b/c it was wrapped up in the engine compartment so tight, I couldn't see it! I've brought it out for this winter, and will probably get a timer for it soon so it will come on for just a bit before starting - don't want to waste too much hydro!

With that Cavalier you've probably got a small enough coolant capacity that 2-3 hours is sufficient to get the coolant up to the maximum temp that the block heater can do it (which I figure is probably about 80-100F, depending on ambient temp). Anything longer than that is just wasting electricity.

Quote:

I agree entirely that it would help at any temp - I was just curious if there was a 'set temp' that people here plug them in at.

With my last 2 cars (both Malibus) I plugged them in when the temp was -10C or lower.

I will probably do the same with the HHR, but will hook up a timer instead of keeping it plugged in all night like I used to
nono.gif

My father was convinced that block heaters were the ultimate winter accessory. Every car he owned had one, and he used them all the time. He used household timers from Can Tire to time them. They were white, with a dial with green and red on it, and all these little numbers on it. He had like 5 or 6 of them, so he could always find one. I remember him showing me several times how to set it 'just right' so the engine would be warm for starting.....I don't even know if those are the ones they sell anymore, I've never bought one.....

When you buy a timer for a block heater, make sure it's a heavy duty one and make sure it's an outdoor timer too. A block heater uses a lot of juice, so it definitely needs the heavy duty timers.

Noma makes a cool block heater timer for about $30 which has an LED display for the time on it. I'm now using that timer for my christmas lights.
smile.gif

I was wandering around Canadian Tire on the weekend and they had a lot of heavy duty NOMA timers on hand, for a decent price too.

Just need to find a way to hook it up so the monsters in the neighbourhood don't destroy it.

Quote:

Just need to find a way to hook it up so the monsters in the neighbourhood don't destroy it.

You can do it the way I used to do it, and keep the timer in the garage and run an extension cord out to the car.

I have a Defa block heater/battery charger. It has a nice feature where you set the departure time on the control panel. The Defa control unit will start the block heater at the appropriate time measuring ambient temperature.
I plug it in when temperature is < 0C.

Quote:

I have a Defa block heater/battery charger. It has a nice feature where you set the departure time on the control panel. The Defa control unit will start the block heater at the appropriate time measuring ambient temperature.
I plug it in when temperature is < 0C.

Now that is a cool idea! I wonder if that product is sold in North America though?

Quote:

Now that is a cool idea! I wonder if that product is sold in North America though?

Looks like it's Europe only. Take a look at the website and send them an email.

I don't plug in until around -15 celsius. Haven't found any real benefit plugging in until that temp. I have the oil heater and a block heater on the same cord. Works great. I have a Cummins.

The Defa unit will make that decision for me. It measures ambient temperature. It also incluedes a battery charger so I let it decide when to charge as well..

I agree with Patman on timers, you can buy a digital block heater at Can Tire this Sat for 55% off, look in flyer.

buy two for this reason:

I set one timer on heat pad depending on temp and one on blockheater also depending on temps according to enviroment Canada forcasts.

I use block heater/pad with timer even at 0C/freezing. In -40C/F I use undersized heat pad all night/with proper sized pad I use it 5-6 hours in exteme cold, block heater for 6 hours. Warmer temps I adjust blockheater/pad time accordingly. With 0-30 xd3 syn the engines crank like summer.

Cyprs

Patman, on my X-Trail I routed the block heater cord below spoiler area to avoid paint damage, can you extend your block heater cord if Vet does not have enough cord and do this on yours?

Also, this works great for heat pads, I route the heat pad cords to same place down under. This way I can plug in engine heat pad, tranny heat pad with the block heater with 3 way cube with or without timer or use the pads/blockheater with separate cords and timers.

Cyprs

Quote:

Patman, on my X-Trail I routed the block heater cord below spoiler area to avoid paint damage, can you extend your block heater cord if Vet does not have enough cord and do this on yours?

The cord isn't really long enough to do some serious routing, and besides, it just looks funny hanging out of the bottom of a Corvette.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back