Cold start at -35°F with 10W30 = no oil pressure

I'm thinking this truck has VERY LOW compression & is the main issue why the oil pressure is taking so much time. Even warming up the block with synthetic 5w oil still took a while. Probably why he wanted to add the stabilizer to thicken it up for the low compression problem. So less about the oil or additives although they didn't help that existing problem for starting it.

I’ve started my Jeep in -22*F before. It wasn’t happy, but it did it. PYB 10w30 when it was the fad here.

I recall a chime because of (I assume) the oil pressure.

Nope, not cold here.

Attachments

• 20240102_190244.jpg
    20240102_190244.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 32
While its a semi synthetic 10w30, my 3500 has survived 7 winters of cold starts, many without a block heater. Ive tried but it keeps ticking.

I had a '95 Ram 3500 with a V10. Issues with the oil pressure sender wasn't unusual in that time frame. My truck had the issue. It's disconcerting to see the oil pressure drop to zero, while cruising down the highway...

Connecting a mechanical gauge confirmed it actually had oil pressure.

Anyway, a new sender would fix the issue for awhile.

The guy in the video would be wise to confirm whether his truck actually has oil pressure.

Absolutely. It's just typically that CCS is what hits the limit first, since that limit is much lower.

If we look at Formula Shell 10W-30 for example, the CCS limit is 7,000cP and the oil is 5,730cP. Given the "doubling rule", that means it'll be around 12,000cP at -30C, so there's no way it's qualifying for the 5W-xx Winter grade. On the other hand, if we look at MRV, at 17,300cP, doubled that's only ~35,000cP, well below the 60,000cP limit. This assumes predictable PPD behaviour of course.
It seems that the MRV limit of 60,000 cP is getting lowered. Not sure if an update is planned for J300, but the upcoming ILSAC GF-7 is going to have a limit of 40,000 cP. Dexos1 Gen3 already has this limit. The modern Mercedes and VW passenger car oil standards have a limit of 30,000 cP. So for some oils, MRV may be the limiting factor, at least for oils trying to meet these standards.

It seems that the MRV limit of 60,000 cP is getting lowered. Not sure if an update is planned for J300, but the upcoming ILSAC GF-7 is going to have a limit of 40,000 cP. Dexos1 Gen3 already has this limit. The modern Mercedes and VW passenger car oil standards have a limit of 30,000 cP. So for some oils, MRV may be the limiting factor, at least for oils trying to meet these standards.
It used to be a in the 40,000cP range originally (42,000 maybe?) due to the test being based on the AMC/Jeep 4.0L I6 engine. That was dropped for being "obsolete" and the limit shifted to the current 60,000cP one.

I used a 10W-30 in my example, but if we expand that to include 5W-40's that don't make the cut for being 0W-40's, PP Euro 5W-40 has a CCS of 6,300cP (very close to the 6,600cP limit) and an MRV of 19,500cP. Given it barely made the cut for the 5W-xx Winter grade with CCS here, that's again going to be the limiting factor. Of note, with 229.5 and 229.3, MB holds to the J300 60,000cP limit for MRV. 229.52 appears to be the only ≥3.5cP HTHS MB spec that uses the updated 30,000cP MRV limit, which is interesting, at least according to the 2017 vintage MB spec list from Afton.

Back in the late 70's when I first started helping my dad with the family car we were using 10w30 and or 10w40 in north central Minnesota, saw lots of sub zero starts (well frequently we didn't see starts!). I think the crappy batteries and out of tune carbs were more of a detriment to starting than the oil. If you had 10W40 in for the summer and it wasn't time to change the oil you didn't change it just for winter, oil was expensive and money was hard to come by. The only time I heard of oil causing an issue in cold weather was a guy that was using 20w50 to try and stop oil burning and on a really cold (-40) day the car (an old Ford v8 iirc probably a late 60's car) spun a bearing upon being urged into starting with a jumper battery.

Back