Cold start at -35°F with 10W30 = no oil pressure

Regarding the third example into the video around minute 4:30
He's running "regular" 10w-30 (presuming he means conventional), AND LUCAS OIL STABILIZER ... then he changes to a "warmed" 5w-40 and adds Seafoam.
So he's got money to waste on additives, but can't afford a decent 0w/5w-30 PAO based lube?

I'm gonna say it out loud .... Idiot!

Last edited:
Regarding the third example into the video around minute 4:30
He's running "regular" 10w-30 (presuming he means conventional), AND LUCAS OIL STABILIZER ...
Changes to a 5w-40 and adds Seafoam.

I'm gonna say it .... Idiot!
Might be this guy:
1703633924330.jpg

S-10 Blazer 4.3 running 5-30 Castrol GTX IIRC. I had attempted a solo winter camping trip to Mt. Webster/Jackson Crawford Notch, NH. It was frigid, -25 daytime temps. I ended up ditching the loop and reached the summit of Jackson. I attempted to make camp and did but it was -28 to -30 and it didn't take long for me to bail on this one. Amazing how warm you can be when exerting energy.

I made it back to the truck and to this day I've never heard the sound that vehicle made as it struggled to turn over. Soooooo slow! All I could think was that my oil was molasses. Luckily for me it did turn over. I wish I wrote it down or could remember it with accuracy but I don't think that engine reached operating temp until I was through NH and into VT headed south on 91. I was in my early 20's. At 51 now, those temps are a hard pass! -5F At the base is my threshold.

One year after moving to Iowa I had put Mobil 1 10W30 HM in the 2008 TrailBlazer with the 5.3L V8.

It went down to -28F here one morning and I was worrying about getting to work that morning. It started up without a hitch as if was 48F.
Isn't it an issue about pour point? Wouldn't that be all you need to worry about, to know you do or don't have a brick of frozen honey in your oil pan?

Isn't it an issue about pour point? Wouldn't that be all you need to worry about, to know you do or don't have a brick of frozen honey in your oil pan?
Pour point isn't a very accurate measure of how well an oil will flow in an engine on a cold start. CCS (cranking viscosity) and MRV (pumping viscosity) are better measures, and these are what the W rating of the oil is based on.

With all the brands of high grades synethics in many different weights,I am a bit confused why anyone would possibly want to damage their vehicle like that.

Back