Cold start at -35°F with 10W30 = no oil pressure

I’m wondering if there is possibly something wrong with his oil pump or oil system. Even with the 5w40 it takes a long time for oil pressure to come on, longer than I would have left it running to be honest.

Hinton,AB isnt very far from me and I’ve started many engines with 5wXX and 10wXX in those temps and didn’t have issues with oil pressure.

His pickup tube was also full of gelled oil, I doubt he got that cleared

You would think at those temperatures he would use a 5W at the maximum if not 0W.

I grew up in the frozen North. My dad ran dino spring through fall and synthetic in my winter. I remember numerous times running Mobil 1 5w-30 (thinnest at the time) starting a car at -35 to -25F and the God awful noises it made that sounded engine-like. Synthetic made a huge difference, but at those temps you're pushing things to extremes. A few times I remember oil blowing out of engine seals all over the driveway during super cold starts and having to top up after letting it idle for a few minutes. Those cars all went for over 200k with no engine issues, oil consumption issues, etc. People on this forum often worry way too much when they're not even close to pushing an engine to its limits.

Another reason when it gets that below zero cold,to stay parked at idle,watch your guages,doesn't hurt to check under for any oil filter gasket leaks,before slowly driving away

I found out that the WIX XP filters will leak around the roll crimp at below -25C.

Another reason when it gets that below zero cold,to stay parked at idle,watch your guages,doesn't hurt to check under for any oil filter gasket leaks,before slowly driving away
When it was below -20 I had to drive circles around the block at least twice so the transmission would shift on a Nissan. Otherwise it'd stay in first until it warmed up some.

The clutch on another car wouldn't work right when it was below -20. It was delayed so I'd have to basically double clutch for the first few blocks or I'd grind the gears. Cold weather does weird things.

I’m not entirely convinced of the binary characteristics of the oil.
The wax crystals will form pretty slowly at first and there is a transient period where the oil is less pumpable, but pumpable non the less.
If it pumps then it pumps. If it doesn’t and it undergoes shear-induced gelling around the pickup tube then the pump cavitates. This is what was happening in the 80s when a revision was made to SAE J300 in terms of how the winter rating was determined.

10W30 will pump when cold. It’s not the greatest but having zero oil pressure is nonsense.
I run synthetic 5W30 year round. My truck sits at the airport for days on end. No issues. No oil consumption. 13 years old and hasn’t blown up yet.

Back