Toyota: Ice and ev will coexist in our future plans

Akio toyoda, was quoted saying that ice engines are not going to end in Toyotas portfolio at an interview at the 24 Tokyo Auto Salon. He outlined the following

1) Carbon neutrality is not attained via ev only portfolios
2) We have to refine and introduce engines to become better then the 40% thermal efficiency they are now.
3) 5.5 million jobs are associated with ice engines in Japan. We must do better as a company to ensure we can preserve those jobs and skills

Some discussion on this from me.

1) Sandy Munro and John McElroy was quoting a study from the industry researchers about how they concluded that EV only would be the only viable option.
2) we have yet see what the powertrain timeline is for this, as last i heard, Lexus is going ev only by 2030-35.
3) I agree with this take, jobs are important, but are all 5.5 million working in ice design?

Last edited:
Toyoda got kicked upstairs because he missed the boat on EV development. But he has a point on the ICE/EV mix. Who knows for sure?
I know for sure. EVs are less than 10% of vehicles sold and they're piling up a dealers.
GM is ending the bolt, Nissan has their electrics on the back burner, ford is seriously cutting back f150 lightning production this year. Honda and gm ended their partnership "to get Tesla", vw halted their multi billion dollar ev expansion, so did Mercedes.
And for the second time in 2 years we're hearing about dead EVs up north clogging up charging stations due to it being cold.
The only manufacturer that expects increased ev sales is Tesla.
Charge point and tritium are probably headed towards bankruptcy.

Last edited:
I know for sure. EVs are less than 10% of vehicles sold and they're piling up a dealers.
GM is ending the bolt, Nissan has their electrics on the back burner, ford is seriously cutting back f150 lightning production this year. Honda and gm ended their partnership "to get Tesla", vw halted their multi billion dollar ev expansion, so did Mercedes.
And for the second time in 2 years we're hearing about dead EVs up north clogging up charging stations due to it being cold.
The only manufacturer that expects increased ev sales is Tesla.
Good points. I am likely to buy my 2nd Tesla this year. There has been a lot of conjecture, "Wait till the big boys get in."
Still waiting.

Regarding Toyota, they make the best hybrids; I own one. They have been top sellers in CA for many years and we are the biggest market in the US. Dragging their heels and releasing poor performing EVs have surprised the car business. That's why Toyoda was kicked upstairs. Sato will do better, I believe.

Good points. I am likely to buy my 2nd Tesla this year. There has been a lot of conjecture, "Wait till the big boys get in."
Still waiting.

Regarding Toyota, they make the best hybrids; I own one. They have been top sellers in CA for many years and we are the biggest market in the US. Dragging their heels and releasing poor performing EVs have surprised the car business. That's why Toyoda was kicked upstairs. Sato will do better, I believe.
The big boys got in and learned they couldn't swim.

If I had to make a bet, I would say hybrid technology would be the next step for everything, not BEV. Hybrids make so much sense for everyday use without the compromises EVs have. I could certainly see my next vehicle being a hybrid. Adding synthetic fuels to the mix could make hybrids an even better option.
I agree; I loved the PHEV vehicles I drove when I worked at BMW and I love my Wrangler 4xe. It's currently averaging 49.8 mpg but I have seen upwards of 107 mpg on one fill up. I plug it in nightly but if I choose not to I don't have to worry about range or locating a charger.
If BMW brings the M5 Touring PHEV across the pond I will sell a kidney if need be to park one in my garage.

The big boys got in and learned they couldn't swim.
Unfortunately you're right, at least so far. It blows my mind how these legendary companies could perform so poorly.
Even Porsche promised a 400+ mile range in the gorgeous Taycan; nope. Not to mention the cars EV problems. Hard to believe.

Still waiting.

I don't know why everyone has the impression that Akio Toyoda was "fired" or "forced" from the President/CEO position. Nothing could be further from the truth. The only person who could "fire" Toyoda is Toyoda himself. The reasons for why he moved to Chairman of the Board were... 1. To fill his father's Chairman position after his father (Shoichiro Toyoda) passed away last Feb, 2. Because he felt that it was "time" to retire, 3. He wanted to devote more of his time to his passion, auto racing, driving for Gazoo Racing under the pseudonym Morizo Kinoshita and considered a "master driver" in Japan, a high honor.

Uh oh hes in the media with another hot take. I am thoroughly confused with Akio or his Pr rollout. Lexus is going all EV in 2030-5. Ssbs are coming online, 2025 toyota is launching evs with 900 miles of range, and 10 minute recharging times.

no matter how much progress BEVs [battery electric vehicles] make,” hybrid vehicles, fuel cell electric vehicles, and hydrogen combustion engine vehicles will still constitute 70 percent of the automotive market.

Back