Toyota considers block heater mandatory in certain areas.

I'm not surprised. The GDI in my Ranger takes FOREVER to warm up when it is cold out, and I'm in GA. I can't imagine how long it would take to warm up in a truly cold place. And that's while it is being driven. I don't warm up my vehicles before I drive them other than give them enough time to come down off of high idle.

When used appropriately, block heaters save gas, prevent pollution, provided increased comfort and pay for the electricity costs many times over. Perhaps they should be mandatory equipment when sold in a cool climate. I use mine often to save gas but it's a pain plugging in and unplugging.

Really it sounds like "Toyota of Canada", the distributor who has to warranty these things, wants them installed.

Really it sounds like "Toyota of Canada", the distributor who has to warranty these things, wants them installed.
yes, I wonder what the actual issue is? I'm sure most of the block heaters won't be used anyways, unless its a no start problem in -30C?
Do they put in a tiny starter motor or oil pump because they can in with 0W8? at -15C?
We have block heaters in both cars, but with parking outside, cord management is an issue, and we've seen only 2 starts at -20C this year and maybe a dozen at -10C so starting isn't a challenge....

yes, I wonder what the actual issue is? I'm sure most of the block heaters won't be used anyways, unless its a no start problem in -30C?
Do they put in a tiny starter motor or oil pump because they can in with 0W8? at -15C?
We have block heaters in both cars, but with parking outside, cord management is an issue, and we've seen only 2 starts at -20C this year and maybe a dozen at -10C so starting isn't a challenge....
People that see -30c regularly plug in the block heaters. It’s not so much in fear of a no start condition, but rather comfort and having your inside windows not frost up almost immediately.
Block heaters are great at getting your cabin warm up faster and keep the windows clear.

When used appropriately, block heaters save gas, prevent pollution, provided increased comfort and pay for the electricity costs many times over. Perhaps they should be mandatory equipment when sold in a cool climate. I use mine often to save gas but it's a pain plugging in and unplugging.
I always wanted a block heater on every vehicle I own, sadly only the antique diesels actually came with good solutions.

I would also add that harbor freight can sell trickle chargers for $3.99 on sale, the few times it’s gotten below -30F a block heater combined with a decent trickle charger would have made things less frustrating (only time I’ve had batteries die is in the very cold of winter)

In my experience, a block heater is most often used to be able to start an engine in cold weather at all. Yes they probably result in earlier warm up and reduced emissions but first of all you have to get the engine started.

I've been around block heaters for 50 plus years. Never heard of one causing a fire. The plug-ins sometimes fail and the plug or the whole cable has to be replaced but that's about it.

I had a block heater coolant leak on my Volvo. The casting was non concentric and I only found out about that by looking at the casting myself. The dealer was quite happy replacing the leaking block heater over and over ("what do you care it's under warranty") but I wasn't. It's a nuisance having to keep taking your car back to the dealer and there is some risk of a major leak. Since I did care, they replaced the block heater with an in-line coolant heater and put the frost plug back in - problem solved.

I put a block heater cartridge in my Scion. The 2.4 and 3.5 engines have a hole you put the element into with some high temp silicone grease. I get about a 45-50 degree rise in water temp with about 3 hours of on time. It starts like a summer day.

Mandating them seems dumb...there are plenty like me in cold climates that park in heated garages and have no use for them, and it seems hit or miss for people parking outside at apartments if they have plugs at their spot or not.

my jeep 2.0t would warm up in 1-2 mile enough to get warm air from vents.
the subaru is about 2x as long and it has a fancy thermovalve (not trad. thermstat)

And I quote Toyota

"Due to insufficient consideration for thermal durability at the time of block heater applicability, certain engine models that were manufactured with an oblong block bore were recommended an inappropriate block heater shape that allowed for a gap when the block heater cartridge was inserted"
Is Toyota manufacturing engines with oblong cylinder bores?

Again, I came across a 2004 3V Ford 5.4 with 404k miles. The vehicle spent most of it's life in MT and the guy said he used a block heater religiously.

It's the only thing I can see that's somewhat unique about this situation.

It's only a sample of one so could just be coincidence and the motor may have lived just as long sans block heater. I just file it away as Things That Make You Go Hmmmm...

Plus I don't know exactly how a block heater accounts for prolonging the life of the problematic timing system on these engines. If anything cold oil at start up equals more pressure for hydraulic tensioners.

Plus I don't know exactly how a block heater accounts for prolonging the life of the problematic timing system on these engines. If anything cold oil at start up equals more pressure for hydraulic tensioners.
It doesn't. It's about ease of starting and perhaps compensating for an oil with an inappropriate winter rating.

As noted a side benefit may be less emissions during a shorter warmup.

Back