Toyota considers block heater mandatory in certain areas.

I noticed that Toyota considers block heaters mandatory on new Toyota’s purchased on the Canadian prairie provinces and at various other specific dealerships. My local dealership is one. It was -33 F in January.

66C211D5-E1A5-4FDB-9E19-5EBF39E3B24E.jpeg

Meanwhile in the 3rd gen Tacoma's they were setting the trucks and subsequently houses on fires due to faulty block heaters...

My Tacoma takes a while to warm up, but the Camry with the electric water pump warms up very quick.

I wonder how many different block heaters are needed to cover Toyota's entire product line.
Are these heaters listed with other parts or is there a 'special' Canadian Heater Booklet?
Block heaters have short lives in car part limbo.

Delta: How many such fires? Badly designed part (no thermostat or shut-off?) or perennially inept installers?

I wonder how many different block heaters are needed to cover Toyota's entire product line.
Are these heaters listed with other parts or is there a 'special' Canadian Heater Booklet?
Block heaters have short lives in car part limbo.

Delta: How many such fires? Badly designed part (no thermostat or shut-off?) or perennially inept installers?

Not sure on how many fires, but was quite a few. Looking at it, there was quite a few other models affected by this issue.

Meanwhile in the 3rd gen Tacoma's they were setting the trucks and subsequently houses on fires due to faulty block heaters...

My Tacoma takes a while to warm up, but the Camry with the electric water pump warms up very quick.
Was it the block heater itself, or was it the plug on the end of the cord?

It's common for the plug to go bad. They usually go open, but sometimes develop a high-resistance internal fault which creates a lot of heat. I've had two of those, one on a work truck and one on our Kia van. Scary when you discover it.

As a result, I don't plug in the block heater when the vehicle is in my garage.

Was it the block heater itself, or was it the plug on the end of the cord?

It's common for the plug to go bad. They usually go open, but sometimes develop a high-resistance internal fault which creates a lot of heat. I've had two of those, one on a work truck and one on our Kia van. Scary when you discover it.

As a result, I don't plug in the block heater when the vehicle is in my garage.

And I quote Toyota

"Due to insufficient consideration for thermal durability at the time of block heater applicability, certain engine models that were manufactured with an oblong block bore were recommended an inappropriate block heater shape that allowed for a gap when the block heater cartridge was inserted"

And I quote Toyota

"Due to insufficient consideration for thermal durability at the time of block heater applicability, certain engine models that were manufactured with an oblong block bore were recommended an inappropriate block heater shape that allowed for a gap when the block heater cartridge was inserted"
Wow. Word choice Toyota!!

Kinda makes sense, in retrospect, surprised that it took this long. The colder the engine, the longer it takes to deal with cold start emissions I bet.
Yeah I bet it is related to emissions. My BMW uses an electric water pump, even in temps below 0*F it warms up quite quickly, same for the oil even though it has a 7 quart capacity.

I don't drive my Jeep in winter, but it takes quite a while to warm up with the cast iron block and head, and mechanical water pump and fan.

Yeah I bet it is related to emissions. My BMW uses an electric water pump, even in temps below 0*F it warms up quite quickly, same for the oil even though it has a 7 quart capacity.

I don't drive my Jeep in winter, but it takes quite a while to warm up with the cast iron block and head, and mechanical water pump and fan.
Modern cars get horrific MPGs on short trips (<5 miles) during cold weather as they “try to fire the CAT”, far worse than somewhat vintage vehicles.

The net effect for people who drive under a half hour at a time in cold weather is that the car gets 40% worse fuel economy on short trips and the cat rapidly looses effectiveness as it gets coated from 8/9:1 AFR.

Nothing like burning tons of fuel and making more emissions for no reason .

The guy across the street averages 19mpg in his Prius during winter weather.

Where I grew up on the prairies everything had a block heater. I’ve never actually heard of one failing, and I never heard of one lighting anything on fire. Of course that was back in the day of cast iron blocks.

Back